Anybody having any issues booting with their eGPU & MBP 2020 13"?

Notifications
Clear all

Anybody having any issues booting with their eGPU & MBP 2020 13"?  

RSS

ajcroteau
(@ajcroteau)

Hey guys,

Was curious if anyone else is having issues with their 2020 MBP 13" and eGPU...

My current setup is as follows:

2020 Macbook Pro 13", 10 Gen Core i5, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD
Akitio Node
MSI Radeon 5700XT Video Card

Currently, i'm unable to boot my machine with the eGPU connected. I actually have to disconnect the eGPU, turn the mac on, and then wait until i'm fully logged into MacOS before i can reconnect my Akitio Node and then everything is fine. It's just annoying that i have to disconnect and reconnected the eGPU every time i want to use my new MBP... I didn't have this issue with my previous MBP (2016 Model)...

Thanks
AJ

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ajcroteau, It's possible there's firmware compatibility issues between the Mac and graphics card. Try updating to macOS 10.15.5 and see if that resolves your issue. If not, you can also change Secure Boot restrictions in Recovery mode.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ajcroteau
(@ajcroteau)

@itsage, Thank you for your response. I did the 10.15.5 upgrade and it did make an improvement. I don't have to disconnect the eGPU to boot the machine. However, it won't hand off the display to the eGPU until after I've logged in. Which is fine, i have to open the lid of the macbook pro to boot the machine anyway.

Thanks
AJ

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rob Ogilvie
(@rob_ogilvie)

@ajcroteau, I'm experiencing this with my 13" 2020 MBP and a Core X Chroma with an RX580... if the eGPU is plugged in, it hangs right after I type my password in.  I'm on 10.15.5, but I didn't know I was supposed to disconnect the eGPU before applying the update.

Did you try anything else to get past that hang?

2020 13" MBP | Razer Core X Chroma | RX 580

ReplyQuote