Setup & Software Discussions
Not working ? ! Aorus gtx 1070+ mbp 2017 +external monitor +oculus rift +bootcam...

Not working ? ! Aorus gtx 1070+ mbp 2017 +external monitor +oculus rift +bootcamp win 1803  

RSS

esso
 esso
(@esso)

hi , 
i have been learning over the last week a lot of stuff here i bought aorus 1070 to make oculus rift work on bootcamp win 1803 
itried itsage method but i get flickner at last and i already have an external monitor hdmi cable .

so i cleaned everything installed a fresh win
(from mojave bootcamp )

now i just installed the driver and everything looks fine the windows see the egpu i also close the mbp screen to make sure the nvidia is workin (but the e monitor res limited to hd ) start oculus it says (update the graphic card  ) 
i even tried to disable the mbp card the radeon’s driver  .
i plug the egpu on the windows logo 
so is this gonna work or sell the oculus egpu and the mbp

Please help

Macbook pro 2017 (Radeon Pro 560) , mojave (1.14) , bootcamp win1803 , Aorus nvidia GTX 1070 , oculus rift

ReplyQuote
casualslyce
(@casualslyce)

Hi, @esso

I struggled through this process as well, but have eventually gotten the Rift to work in a stable way on my MacBook Pro. Vanilla itsage method didn't work for me reliably, but with a few changes everything seems to be okay. 

1. Install Windows 1803 using bootcamp assistant. Make sure your partition is at least 60gb. This amount of space will allow for the OS, Steam VR, and the Oculus Software to be installed on the internal drive but will require you use an external HD to install apps and games. 

2. Go into device manager, sort by PCI connection, and disable 1905 only -- not 1901 or 1910. 

3. Shutdown your computer, then plug in your Aorus to the top-right TB3 connection on your computer. Must be this port. Your computer will turn on. Hold down the option key and boot into Windows. 

4. Go back into Device Manager and look for the external display with the yellow-banged symbol. Click "update driver". Windows will download and install a stock Nvidia driver. After it's installed the GTX 1070 should be recognized and your external monitor should come to life. 

5. Go into display settings and make your external monitor the primary display. You're going to have to run all your apps through the external display in order to engage the gaming box

6. Go back into Device Manager and disable the internal radeon 460 graphics card. This will stop conflicts between your eGPU and internal GPU. 

7. Go to the Nvidia Smart Scan website, scan your system and install the GeForce software for your card.

8. Shut down computer and plug oculus peripherals into a USB hub connected to the bottom-right TB3 port, under your eGPU connection. This is a vital step. I've found that using the USB ports on the Aorus box just isn't enough bandwidth and you'll experience crashes. You have to use the right-side Thunderbolt ports on your computer.  inexpensive TB3 to USB hubs can be found on Amazon.

9. Boot back up with everything connected and install Oculus. Enjoy. Take note that this method does not use use driver removal software, an efi script, or integrated.bat.

It took me weeks of experimenting to get this to work. Let me know if it works for you!

2016 Macbook Pro TB Radeon 460 | Aorus 1070 | High Sierra 10.13.6 | Bootcamp Windows 1803

ReplyQuote
esso
 esso
(@esso)

Great 👍 , 
it’s running now 
but you mean the oculus head set usb to the right buttom port ? Or the sensors ? 

i put the head set with one sensor to the box and the other sensor to the left side of mbp 

the box getting really hot 🥵 Specially from the front sometimes i disconnect the monitor the fan doesn’t make noises as the guy’s said it will under overload .

Thanks for the step by step explain but what’s the use of disable the 1905 ? 
Thanks alot 

Macbook pro 2017 (Radeon Pro 560) , mojave (1.14) , bootcamp win1803 , Aorus nvidia GTX 1070 , oculus rift

ReplyQuote
casualslyce
(@casualslyce)

@esso, disabling 1905 turns off the PCI controller responsible for the lefthand TB3 ports. Closing these down frees up more PCI bandwidth for eGPU/Oculus peripherals. I've found that if I don't turn off 1905 I will experience BSOD/kernel panics and the Oculus will crash almost immediately. If you're using the left ports I'm guessing you're getting USB 2.0 speeds? I think Oculus recommends 3.0 speeds to avoid latency issues. If, for example, you plug all the oculus sensors/headset into the USB hub on the eGPU you'll almost definitely only get USB 2.0 speeds for at least 2/3 inputs. This is because your peripherals AND the 1070 are sharing bandwidth over a set number of PCI lanes. Think of it like cars sharing space on the road. Traffic will flow better if you can reroute some of those cars to a different road that takes them to the same destination.

My Aorus gets really hot too. I think that's just the nature of the device. I don't have the gaming box software installed either, but I think the Nvidia Geforce programs that sits in your start tray can measure temperatures for you. I'm not near my computer right now so I'm not sure. I can tell you it's always hot and noisy though. Are you experiencing performance issues because of the thermal problem?

2016 Macbook Pro TB Radeon 460 | Aorus 1070 | High Sierra 10.13.6 | Bootcamp Windows 1803

ReplyQuote
esso
 esso
(@esso)

@casualslyce
When i connected everything headset and the sensors to the mbp left side the software gets usb2 and refused to run at all .
so itoke itsage advice connected the headset and one sensor to the box ans just one sensor to the mbp it worked for me but i have to try the right side as you said 
so i used the hdmi to the external monitor to set open the app and after that remove the monitor put the rift hhdmi instead i had no performance issue then .
yesterday i connected the monitor through display port to the monitor so i can use both at the same time 
and after 10 min everything was really hot and the quill app gets really slow and freezes  alot . 

I still think the gpu it self is not hot the enclosure is the issue 

ReplyQuote
casualslyce
(@casualslyce)

@esso. I experimented with a whole bunch of sensor configurations and didn’t have stable USB 3 speeda until I got a usb hub. I got this:  https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-3-1-Type-C-Port/dp/B01MCTET84/ref=asc_df_B01MCTET84/?tag=hyprod20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076677096&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4470144721253530630&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058138&hvtargid=pla-322810809009&psc=1, and plugged it into the bottom right port on the MacBook with both sensors plugged in. The headset is the only thing plugged into the eGPU.

Regarding overheating, the first thing to check is that all programs are being run through the 1070. If anything is open on the internal screen your computer will default to the integrated graphics chip, and that will almost certainly overheat under heavy load. Make sure everything is going through external monitor by going into display settings on windows and making sure internal monitor is disabled (should be black).

ReplyQuote
casualslyce
(@casualslyce)

Also, I wouldn’t unplug the external monitor to switch in the rift because that will engage the internal screen and drop performance. Like you said, leave the rift hooked up through hdmi and the monitor on display port. Don’t engage the internal monitor at any time.

ReplyQuote
esso
 esso
(@esso)

Thank you @casualslyce for your help 
i did everything but the overheat is still big issue sometimes i can’t even touch the front of it 😥 
i don’t know i think i’ll get external fan or something running on usb .

ReplyQuote
esso
 esso
(@esso)

@casualslyce 
One last thing i have the display resolution maximum is 1920*1080
on the external screen ican set it to higher
did you experienced such a thing  
the driver is updated and evrything seems fine 

ReplyQuote
casualslyce
(@casualslyce)

@esso, resolution sounds fine. Doubt that’s your problem. Did you manage to get any software installed to gauge your GPU temp? We can compare numbers later if you want.

ReplyQuote
esso
 esso
(@esso)

i think i'm gonna return it back
it's a very bad choice ,there is something wrong about the gaming box .
it should be not that complicated at the beginning i thought my mbp  is the issue .
i'm gonna return it back to amazon and maybe buy a pc afterwards .

thank you 

ReplyQuote
Dannyboy1242
(@dannyboy1242)

Hey @casualslyce

i want to run the same setup you have. Is it possible for you to just link everything you neede for ether set up? eGPU casing, laptop model, etc.? Just want to make sure I have everything the same so I don’t expectence any issues. 

Thank you!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote