AORUS Radeon RX6900XT Isn't Detected!

Notifications
Clear all

AORUS Radeon RX6900XT Isn't Detected!  

RSS

Trevor MONAGHAN
(@trevor_monaghan)

Dear Friends,

I have an installed in a eGPU Enclosure Mantiz Saturn Pro II connected to a MacBook Pro 2019.

It is not detected by macOS Monterey although the eGPU Enclosure is...

Apple states that the RX6900XT is Mac compatible so I don't understand.

Please advise about compatibility

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@trevor_monaghan, Sorry to hear.

Basically, only non-overclocked 6900 XT models which follow AMD reference design have driver support in MacOS. (“XTX” chip models)

Overclocked and liquid cooled models aren’t supported by Apple. (“XTXH” chip models) 

One place you can find a MacOS compatible “XTX” model is on Sonnet ‘s website. 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.1 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Trevor MONAGHAN
(@trevor_monaghan)

@mini-i5, Amazing information thank you, It starts to make sense.

However, Sonnet's website doesn't mention that, and on their Compatibility list It offers theirs or points you back to AMD's website. From which one is referred to Gigabyte's as an example.

So this one should do? Radeon™ RX 6900 XT 16G

This is rather annoying because a Graphics Card is a lot of money and now mine is going on eBay. What is most disappointing is not knowing this from the beginning for instance directly from Apple's website

I wasted so much of my time looking for the appropriate eGPU Enclosure because of the size of the AORUS Graphics Card. And a major let down is Razer! I wanted to buy the Razer Core X Chroma and its Staff wasn't capable of advising me. And now I can see that in fact Razer Core X Chroma is indeed compatible with the RX6900XT.

Don't get me wrong. Although I imported from China the Mantiz Saturn Pro II, I am happy with this and it has a Dual TB3 chip.

As Mantiz states, one controller is for the Graphic card, one for the Extra I.O no more lags & interference.

Which to me sounds better than the competition and for a very competitive price. So I keep it and it looks great and feels great.

So now what is left to me is to relocate a point of sale where there is availability for replacing the AORUS's 

Many thanks and wish you all well,

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@trevor_monaghan, Yes, that Gigabyte card has driver support in MacOS because it follows AMD’s reference model (with the “XTX” chip. It has the standard clock speeds:

Boost Clock* : up to 2250 MHz
Game Clock* : up to 2015 MHz

For anyone else who just joined the thread - factory-overclocked 6900 XT models (including the various liquid cooled ones) don’t work with Macs (because they are built around the unsupported “XTXH” chip variant) 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.1 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@jordan_williams)

@mini-i5, Thanks for this info! I just upgrade to this: https://www.xfxforce.com/shop/xfx-speedster-merc-319-amd-radeon-tm-rx-6900-xt-limited-black and from what you are saying because it overclocks, I'm up shit creek without a paddle for MacOS? Have there been any work arounds or resolutions for this since the original post that you know of? Scanning through the forum and google now. Haven't come across anything yet.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@jordan_williams, yeah, Apple still hasn’t given us MacOS drivers for the XTXH-chip version of the 6900 XT (which is the reason most overclocked models don’t work with Intel Macs)

And it’s hard to find a 6900 XT with the reference XTX chip. 

Microcenter recently had some of the PowerColor AXRX 6900XT 16G model in stock. I would look for this model since it will actually fit in an enclosure(!) and it uses the reference XTX. 

ReplyQuote