Setup & Software Discussions
aorus rtx 2070 gaming box + macbook pro (13-inch 2019 two thunderbolt 3 ports) +...

[Solved] aorus rtx 2070 gaming box + macbook pro (13-inch 2019 two thunderbolt 3 ports) + windows to go ?  

RSS

illuminati_official
(@illuminati_official)

Hi, anyone tried the rtx 2070 gaming box with the 2019 13 inch macbook pro base model?
I've tried booting windows from a external ssd enclosure, but ended up with an error 12 on the rtx 2070 in the device manager.
Also tried booting windows with bootcamp, and instead of error 12 I got error 43.
I've noticed that when plugged in, the LEDs of the eGPU doesn't turn on.
But if I boot into macos the LED lights up and the ./automate-egpu.sh did detect the rtx 2070 graphics card.

Could anyone please tell me what the problem might be?
Thanks.

setup
aorus rtx 2070 gaming box
macbook pro 2019 base model with 256GB storage
bootcamp

ReplyQuote
illuminati_official
(@illuminati_official)

Alright so seems like the 2 thunderbolt 3 port on the left side aren't full speed, so can't handle both egpu and the external ssd, 
So I reinstalled windows 1809 via bootcamp, and set up refind spoofing, installed latest nvidia driver, and voila it worked !
I'm calling this "case" closed.

setup
bootcamp

ReplyQuote
illuminati_official
(@illuminati_official)

Update:
        It gives me blue screen on restart saying kernel security check failure,
        Hot-plugging the tb3 cable to another port seems to solve this issue but it sucks having to manually unplug the cable every time and remembering which port to plug into.
        Besides you have to plug in the egpu at the exact moment when the windows logo shows up, too early will result in a frozen logo, too late will cause the OS to crash.
        Furthermore, I couldn't find a way for internal display acceleration. My current solution is to connect to an external monitor first, start up the game, unplug the hdmi cable, then the accelerated content will loop back to internal display with some performance loss (which is totally noramal and acceptable).

setup
bootcamp

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
illuminati_official
(@illuminati_official)

Update #2:
    I discovered the force egpu to render specific apps function in the display settings
    Now gaming without a external display is possible
    Other than the kernel security check failure everything works as desired.
    Wonderful little box, time for some ray-traced minecraft VR 😆

setup
bootcamp

ReplyQuote
illuminati_official
(@illuminati_official)

Final update:
        Just returned my aorus 2070 gaming box, not the egpu's fault, but my base model macbook pro.
        Its puny 8GB of ram and 50GB of storage just couldn't handle demanding games like GTAV or insurgency: sandstorm.
        They run smoothly at first, but will crash after less than 5 mins' of gameplay, besides the input from the mouse suffers constant stuttering.
        I think you need a mac with at least 16GB of ram and 512GB of ssd and 4 tb3 port to make gaming with an egpu a practical solution.
        It's been a good run, but I think I'll finally go with an itx build. 😥

setup
bootcamp

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

I hate to say it but I don't think any of your hardware is at fault, but rather the user (you).

People run tings just fine on lesser set ups. An external SSD would have solved a good few of your problems.
I wonder if your crashing issues were related to disc usage? I had that on a previous mackintosh I used as dual boot, drove me insane as games would crash after a  very specific amount of time, and it was something to do with the way Windows used disk space when you are running very low (which I was). 

Pushed me over the edge and I pretty much gave the machine away....

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
illuminati_official
(@illuminati_official)

@eightarmedpet

Thanks for your insight. I used the Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable from 2 years ago.
I did try plugging my nvme ssd enclosure into the 2nd tb3 port but win 10 wouldn't recognize it while the egpu is working.
And if I boot windows to go from the external ssd first, it will give me error 12.
Would've been neat if both tb3 port could work at the same time. 😥 

setup
bootcamp

ReplyQuote