Notifications
Clear all

Aorus swapping out 1070 for AMD card  

RSS

Right Ofb
(@right_ofb)

Hi all,

New here and need some advice.

Before I start: Aorus 1070 on Macbook pro 2016 13" touch bar, OS X Sierra (looking to upgrade to high Sierra)

My questions:

I am looking to swap out the 1070 and replace with and AMD card. My thinking is to replicate the Apple develper kit as close as possible (possibly higher power if size allows)

Has anyone done this, is it a good idea?

Does the EGPU case require flashing or software changes? 

Does High Sierra require extra scripts or software with the AMD card?

Which are the best cards for performance and ease of installation?

Great site by the way, really good. I got the 1070 working on Sierra but its problematic.

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Hi @Right Ofb, there are only a handful of mini ITX AMD GPU. Out of those, there are a couple with macOS High Sierra compatibility. At the moment, the RX 570 Pulse ITX is one option. Alternatively, you can look for HP OEM RX 480 4GB; these came in some HP desktops.

My recommendation is to either wait for the upcoming RX Vega Nano or sell the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box and get an eGPU enclosure that can house a regular size GPU. You'll have many more options.

I have been looking for a compatible card and have fallen short. This is due to limited availability and high prices on the two cards I mentioned earlier. I found a Sapphire R9 285 ITX Compact to test swapping another GPU works with this AORUS Gaming Box. I also tried a custom passive cooler on a reference RX 470 but it was not successful. There's some power validation settings on the PSU to require an 8-pin PCIe power connector.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

How about Fiji Nano? does it work on High Sierra?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@Sky11, the Fiji cards have drivers in macOS High Sierra but no external graphics support yet. @Goalque may have found a workaround but he can't publish his findings until the official release of 10.13 next Monday.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

If the drivers for Fiji Nano are not in High Sierra today, it is very unlikely that it will be added in the future - those cards are no longer made...

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: Sky11

If the drivers for Fiji Nano are not in High Sierra today, it is very unlikely that it will be added in the future - those cards are no longer made...

Only some drivers have eGPU support. Fiji are supported but no as eGPU but probably goalque will publish a workaround.

imho on macOS is better to use 570mitx or wait for Vega nano

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote