Apple recommended eGPU crashes my 2017 13" MBP (with touchbar)

Notifications
Clear all

Apple recommended eGPU crashes my 2017 13" MBP (with touchbar)  

RSS

Phillips Huynh
(@phillips_huynh)

Hey fellow eGPU'ers,

New member and first post. I looked through recent, relevant posts and couldn't find a solution so am hoping you guys & gals can weigh in on this.

I recently purchased the Razercore Chroma eGPU enclosure and paired it with Gigabyte's Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB graphics card. I'm using this combo with my 2017 MacBook Pro 13" with touch bar. Although it's listed on Apple's support page as a recommended setup to pair with MacBooks running Catalina 10.15.1 or newer, I'm coming across some issues.

Here's a video that highlights how I've set it up and what issues I'm having. You'll be able to see how the issue manifests in the rendering the parts of video itself (1:12, 2:28) and also during gameplay and benchmarking (1:31, 2:07).

The benchmark tests show that the GPU is operating at around 65 degrees on low settings by the time it crashes so I don't believe it's a heating issue. Further to that, when I crank it onto max settings, it crashes almost immediately after the test starts and hence the temperature barely reaches 55 degrees.

I'm starting to suspect that this card is at fault (dud unit?) but would like to hear from you guys if anyone has experienced this issue and knows a possible fix? 

FYI

The set up is:
- 2017 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar
- MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
- No Bootcamp, Parallel or Windows supporting software
- Razercore Chroma eGPU enclosure
- Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G
- Samsung CJ791 34" ultra widescreen monitor
- TB3 connection between Macbook Pro and eGPU enclosure
- HDMI connection between eGPU enclosure and Samsung monitor

The issues are (Have a look at the video for a demo):
- Garbled and glitching graphics
- Unrecoverable system crashes

Crashes have occurred in the following apps:
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Unigine Heaven Benchmark
- Adobe Premiere Pro

Would love to hear from you guys! Pray  

2017 13" MBP, Razercore Chroma, Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT 8GB GPU, Samsung CJ791 34" Ultrawide

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@phillips_huynh, My guess is the crashing issues are due to the graphics card. You can try the vBIOS toggle switch on top of the card and see if changing the vBIOS would make a difference.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Phillips Huynh
(@phillips_huynh)

Thanks for the idea @itsage, I opened up the enclosure, removed the GPU and searched around for the switch. I might be blind but couldn't find one. I'm doubting sure if it comes with my model. I did some reading and it looks like it's a feature in the Aorus model.

A few fingers pointing at the card at the moment. Next step is trying the eGPU with a work MBP which will be here running on Monday. If it still plays up there, then off for warranty it goes.

2017 13" MBP, Razercore Chroma, Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT 8GB GPU, Samsung CJ791 34" Ultrawide

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@phillips_huynh, This is an image from Gigabyte product page. The vBIOS toggle switch is on top near the PCI mount bracket.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
grendelX
(@grendelx)

@phillips_huynh, if your card does not work with your work laptop, I recommend you return the Gigabyte card and try the Sapphire Radeon PULSE RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 11293-0120G instead. It is a little bit more expensive but it works with macOS 10.15.7 including the recent update last week. True plug and play. I've had issues with Gigabyte graphics card before and Sapphire PULSE cards always seem to work. Hope this helps.

Also how did you get CSGO to work with the eGPU? I've tried several methods but doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks

2015 15" MacBook Pro [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (OWC Mercury Helios FX) + macOS 10.15.7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Phillips Huynh
(@phillips_huynh)

Hi @itsage, thanks for pointing that out for me. I'm either really blind or really stupid lol. I can't seem to find anything resembling a switch/toggle. Let me get a video up for you shortly on what I'm seeing. Appreciate your help Smile

ReplyQuote
rsherwood_va
(@rsherwood_va)

I am having a very similar problem with a 2020 13" MBP + Saphire card (5700XT) + Razer Core X Chroma. Usually the screen just goes blank, but I have often found it powered off after a crash. Thanks for posting the video - I will check it out.

The only unusual thing I have is a longer thunderbolt 3 cable, which I need because the eGPU enclosure is just too big for my desk.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rsherwood_va
(@rsherwood_va)

@, Update - My Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT comes with a toggle switch as well. Setting it to "Silent Mode" seems to have fixed my issues so far. It has been running like a dream all day.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Phillips Huynh
(@phillips_huynh)

@rsherwood_va, That's excellent news Smile is it still going strong?

I wasn't able to find the toggle on my card despite my best efforts (Sorry I think I really must be blind!) I give it a shot at 1:56 in the video below FYI @itsage

@grendelx,  sorry about the late reply and thanks for the tip. What issue are you having with running CS:Go and the eGPU? Have you set the app to prefer external GPU? (AFAIK, that option box has been removed in Big Sur)

ReplyQuote