Asus Strix-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING not compatible with MacBook Pro?
I own a 15 inch 2017 MacBook Pro, Sonnet Breakaway 650, and Asus Strix-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING. Plug and play works great, everything seems to work great, but when my computer goes to sleep, I come back to a crashed system. I tried a different user account, same results. Right now I'm plugged into my Caldigit TB3 dock like I was previously and will see in a few hours if this crashes..but doubt it as it did not before. I can try a fresh install on an external drive next.
But...Did I get the wrong video card? Apple's site says, recommended but does not say required. And even recommending Saphire for example, Apple does not say a specific model and Saphire has 6 SKU with Vega 64. I can still return this video card, but time is running out and I need to make a decision. All input appreciated.
Was the eGPU the only device connected when this sleep-wakeup issue occurred?
Thats correct... the only variable is the eGPU. Connected, the Mac crashes ... not connected, the Mac does not crash
Does it immediately crash after sleeping? macOS has various sleeping stages. I believe deep sleep begins after 3 hours (RAM powered off -> hibernation file written). After 8 hours, deeper chipset sleep (slower wake-up). This is assuming default settings. You can change these values using the pmset command in terminal for testing purposes per stage, to diagnose the issue. If it's hibernation, you can disable it completely without much compromise (unless your mac has the opportunity to sleep for long hours multiple times).
Reminds me of back in 2008 when I was building my Hackintosh 🙂 The whole reason I bought all the compatible hardware was so I could avoid these issues. My mistake was thinking that all Vega 64 cards would be okay. If I'm not going to have time (I have a young child) to troubleshoot... I think my main objective now is to return this card and buy a new one that is more compatible (I have till June 2nd to return this one)? But are all the Saphire Vega 64 cards going to work or only 1 SKU? I called Apple and have an open case, but they don't seem too interested in resolving this.
Updates to macOS will likely solve the problem (unless there is something in the hardware - would require significant troubleshooting to find what). Just blame Apple's QC with High Sierra for this one. If changing the card is not a problem for you (convenience or cost-wise) - just go for it I'd say. Try a different brand for sure - and check the forum for any "suggested" models.
I agree with you that updates will likely solve this over time. Exchanging it will cost me some money, but thats fine.
I'm going to throw this out there, I know you might not have the answer but hopefully someone does so we can sort this out for anyone else in the current situation.
As far as finding suggested models that are in stock on Amazon, that is really challenging. There are two options I can exchange for now:
MSI (looks like a reference card based on the cooler?):
Saphire (the recommended brand, but not exactly which SKU)
I wonder if the Saphire Nitro card is running a different BIOS than the Saphire reference card.
Hope someone out there has some suggestions
Per Apple docs, the Sapphire brand is recommended as you correctly mention - so maybe go with that. I recall that the Apple dev kit used a Nitro RX 580 - so maybe use a Nitro V64 (lol logic). It seems only time and testing will tell.
On another note, if you haven't tried already:
- NVRAM Reset - Power off computer. Power on, then press and hold CMD+OPT+P+R until computer reboots (the 2017's have the boot sound off by default so the hint will be a black lit screen, which will turn off and turn on again (reboot) - but I reckon 10s should do it).
- SMC Reset - Power off computer. Plug in charger. Hold SHFT + CTRL + OPT + Power button for 15s. Then power on.