Audio interface unusable when eGPU attached to TB2 Mac (2015 MBP 15" retina)

Notifications
Clear all

Audio interface unusable when eGPU attached to TB2 Mac (2015 MBP 15" retina)  

RSS

dominicperry
(@dominicperry)

Thanks to this forum and PurgeWrangler, I have put together a working eGPU, as follows.

MacBookPro mid-2015, 15" retina (TB2) MacOS 10.15.3 and 10.15.4

Sonnet Breakaway 550

Sapphire Radeon 5700XT Nitro ('silent' BIOS and 'performance' BIOS)

Old Asus 27" monitor VS278 (1920x1080) 

This works well for the external monitor - PurgeWrangler script needed to be run manually as auto-detect didn't work and got caught in a loop, but manual worked as per this post ( https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/issues/44 )

The problem is that my TB audio interface (UA Apollo X8P), was happily working but now crackles and is unusable. There are two TB2 ports on this Mac, but I believe they are both connected to the same Alpine Ridge controller. It doesn't matter which device uses which port, the same thing happens. 

I've also tried chaining the Sonnet after the X8P, which makes no difference.

There are no other TB devices attached to the system.

If I use a USB audio interface, all is fine, so it seems to be a TB problem, rather than a CoreAudio problem.

At 44.1KHz, the crackles are minor - but still constant - several every second. At 96KHz, it's like listening through static.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this please?

Dominic

This topic was modified 2 months ago

MBP mid-2015, 15", i7 2.5GHz with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB , MacOS 10.15.4, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT, UA Apollo X8P (not working). PurgeWrangler TB2 EFI hack.

ReplyQuote
dominicperry
(@dominicperry)

I need to try and fix this - can anyone help me - are there timing or sync parameters for TB in the EFI bios which can be altered? And if so, what can I use to change them (is Clover the thing)?

Thanks

Dominic

MBP mid-2015, 15", i7 2.5GHz with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB , MacOS 10.15.4, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT, UA Apollo X8P (not working). PurgeWrangler TB2 EFI hack.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan_camilleri)

Hi Dominic and hello to you reading,

I have almost managed to get my audio interface connected properly.

My problem is as follows.

I hear a periodic (The Matrix) electronic static/clipping sound.

It occurs for 2-7 seconds, every minute to 3 minutes.

My setup is as follows:

2019 Macbook Pro i5 Processor 8Gb RAM with touchbar - I believe 13".

Bootcamp Windows Version 10.0.18363

Razer Core X Chroma via Thunderbolt 3 to Macbook.

nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC 6GB Gddr6

Philips 27in 2K-QHD LED LCD Monitor (272B8QJEB) via HDMI to nVidia.

Allen&Heath Qu-16 connected via USB 2.0 to Chroma.

KRK PK-Rokit 10 G3 3-Way 10-inch Studio Monitors

Microsoft Keyboard via USB to Chroma

Gigabyte Gaming Mouse to Chroma.

Ethernet to Chroma.

Plugging in any other T3 peripherals directly to Macbook causes a system crash.  Any fixes?

Sound works in game (Witcher 3), and web browsing but the above problem persists.

I can replicate the problem when sending a vocal microphone in mixer to my macbook internal speakers.

I had a similar sound happening on Mac OS X without an eGPU.  I read online it may have been caused by a Catalina Update breaking compliance.  Mixer works fine with Bootcamp Windows when plugged directly in via a usb hub.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@sascha_nowlin)

@dominicperry

Have you solved this issue? im running into this exact problem with my Apollo Twin after upgrading from an RX580 to and 5700XT. Everything was working perfectly before and now the crackles when playing audio are the only issue i'm having, both in Windows through Bootcamp and on MacOs

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dominicperry
(@dominicperry)

Posted by: @sascha_nowlin

@dominicperry

Have you solved this issue? im running into this exact problem with my Apollo Twin after upgrading from an RX580 to and 5700XT. Everything was working perfectly before and now the crackles when playing audio are the only issue i'm having, both in Windows through Bootcamp and on MacOs

No, I didn't get any feedback here so I sent the eGPU back. As most people seem to be using their eGPUs for gaming, there didn't seem to be anyone else in the same position doing audio production.

ReplyQuote
(@sascha_nowlin)

@dominicperry

damn sorry to hear. I was hoping to do both gaming and audio production- guess ill have to build a separate rig after all.

Thanks for replying

ReplyQuote