Clear all

[Solved] automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  108
  RSS

hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@leandro_s

To get your combination of a Mac Mini 2012, a Razer Core X and an AMD RX 580 running requires some basic knowledge of Windows and eGPUs.

The most common Windows version used for builds like yours (older Mac+new eGPU+AMD graphics card+Windows) is 1903 (which is not easy to get anymore).

The eGPU Setup 1.35  by  nando4 is a support program which helps you to get your build running. Do not expect a plug and play thing.

I suggest to follow @zooli given advice.

Success

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
vandmmages
(@vandmmages)

Good day everyone,

Great work by @goalque and others on this forum.

I think since I upgraded to Catalina I am now toast.

My setup : 2012 Mid MacBook Pro ( has dGPu NVIDIA) Razer-Core X ,Radeon RX 570, Catalina 10.15.4

Purge wrangler and Purge NVDA on. RX570 is detected.

But does not seem to actually be used. ( Suspected GPU power disabled in Catalina, no fan noise)

Activity monitor shows Gpu usage but all  games lagging extremity bad .

Just checking if I am now out of luck  since I upgraded to Catalina or do I need to use a new fix I have not found yet?

any help greatly appreciated.

Macbook Pro Retina 10.1 (Mid 2012) . MACOS Catalina
Razer -X eGPU enclosure
AMD RTX 570 or if testing needed Nvida GTX1070
LG 34UM69G-B connected to DP of Razer-X

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@vandmmages, Run a benchmark such as Unigine Heaven to gauge performance. Also why post in this thread if you aren't using automate-eGPU EFI?

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
The Moistery Machine
(@the_moistery_machine)

@goalque, sorry if this has been asked before, but i really couldn't find any answers D:

Is there a way to make automate-eGPU EFI just boot straight into windows without keypresses? 

I'm using it on my MacBook to load the modified sound driver to work without Bootcamp, and not actually for an eGPU.

I tried playing with the config but nothing seems to change.

Any help is very much appreciated <3

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Christian F
(@christian_f)

@goalque, I've never tried to edit a plist file before,  am i doing this correctly?  i would just need to replace the 0s with my drive ID?

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>MacOSVolumeUUID</key>

<string>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</string>

<key>Debug</key>

<false/>

<key>DefaultLoader</key>

<string>boot.efi</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>Preboot</string>

<key>Fast</key>

<true/>

<key>MuxSetting</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>SkipSetupDataForOSX</key>

<true/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

2017 Macbook Pro - OSX Catalina & Windows 10
Razer Core V1 (RC21-00940)
Sapphire RTX 580

ReplyQuote
Christian F
(@christian_f)

When i start automate eGPU EFI,

i get a message saying eGPU not detected.  If i boot into windows, everything seems to be working correctly, where my laptop screen and two additional monitors power up.   on OS X however, i have to unplug and replug the thunderbolt cable to get the eGPU to be recognized.  is there something else i need to do to get this working on OS X so that everything just stays plugged in?

IMG 0984

2017 Macbook Pro - OSX Catalina & Windows 10
Razer Core V1 (RC21-00940)
Sapphire RTX 580

ReplyQuote
Justin Guzman
(@justin_guzman)

Does anyone know how to remove the "Windows" option from the boot screen that appears right after you hold down option upon machine start?  I only use the "EFI Boot" option and would like to remove the "Windows" option as it isn't needed (or maybe it is necessary and IDK). It seems like it would be possible to edit the config.plist in the CLOVER folder, but I may be wrong.

Has anyone had success trying this?  Also, it would be cool to able to rename the "EFI Boot" option to something more meaningful like "Windows eGPU" but at this point i'm just picking-nits.

Boot screen looks like this:

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@justin_guzman, That is the Apple Startup Manager. Nothing to do with Clover. You can't remove items from there unless you change whatever property of the disk or partition that makes it show up here. What Mac are you running? Do either of your disks have legacy BIOS boot code in the MBR?

sudo dd if=/dev/disk0 count=1 | xxd

A disk with no boot code in the MBR should show mostly 0000. A disk with boot code will have the first bytes as not 0000.

You could try adding icons to the disks using the Finder. Use the bless command do add a disk label (might not work with EFI Boot or Windows) (folder parameter should be the path containing the bootx64.efi file).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

Scensory liked
ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)

@justin_guzman you can edit the name of the "EFI Boot" startup by using the bless command. Check out examples in this post: https://superuser.com/questions/1169728/how-does-one-modify-the-boot-name-of-an-efi-boot-partition

Basically, in a terminal window, the command you will want to use is:

sudo bless --folder /<DIR_WICH_CONTAINS_BOOTX64.EFI>/ --label "<WHATEVER_YOU_WANT>"

You can also change the icon image for the "EFI Boot" by following the instructions on that post as well.

Not sure about how to remove the external "Windows" startup option. Anyways, hope this helps!

This post was modified 2 weeks ago
2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)

@christian_f, it’s ok that the automate egpu boot screen shows “eGPU not detected”. AFAIK this is a bug where it works for some people and doesn’t for others. However, ultimately it should not impact whether your eGPU will work or not. (Mine shows not detected and works perfectly fine in Windows and OSX).

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  108