Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  114
  RSS

Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@hyperus, it works fine with AMD GPUs. I have a AMD Vega 64 and have had no issues.

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mikeyb411
(@mikeyb411)

Hi - Running a mid 2012 MBP (A1278).  Acquired a Sonnet GFX Breakaway running an RX560.   Using the EFI program on a usb.  opens in boot mode fine.  Doesn't say egpu is detected.  I read that isn't a problem.  However, software get stuck in this boot menu and won't proceed to next prompt.  What am I missing? 

Thanks in advance

MBP mid 2012 (A1278), running eGPU sonnetb reakaway RX560 - macOS 10.15.7; Window 10.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@mikeyb411

With the latest macOS 10.15.6 I haven't been able to get the EFI to boot macOS either, I get the same problem where it freezes after selecting it in the boot menu. It should still boot windows fine if you need it, but I would boot macOS without the EFI and use purge-wrangler instead to apply the patches in macOS.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

Scensory liked
ReplyQuote
evad604
(@evad604)

Likewise, I'm unable to boot into MacOS via automate-egpu EFI but Windows is fine. I just use purge-wrangler on MacOS with my 2012 Macbook Pro and use a SD card for the automate-egpu  instead of a usb stick to boot into windows so that I free up a usb port.

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 580 @10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Scensory liked
ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@Goalque, is it true 10.15.6 does not work when booting Mac OS? If so, is there a fix we can apply?

All the love for your work!

This post was modified 5 months ago
2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
0Badger0
(@0badger0)
Eminent Member

When I connect this Razer X and AMD graphics card to the MacBook Pro, Windows 10 version 2004.450 under Bootcamp installs and recognizes the Razer X fine, but fails to activate the AMD 5700X graphics card, placing the classic exclamation mark beside it, indicating Error 12 (insufficient resources and I need to free up resources to be able to use it).

I’ve tried everything I’ve been able to find on this site and around the Internet. My brain is fried from watching YouTube videos! I even extracted the "windows32/drivers/pci.sys" from an old ISO of Windows 10 1903 build 18362.30, which I understand was the last build this eGPU system worked on. Someone said it solved their problem, so I installed (overwrote) it on my Windows 10 version 2004.450, but it didn’t seem to make any difference.

Someone else suggested that I make sure that my machine supports the “Large Memory” model, so I checked under the device manager and yes it does.

I’ve read the whole story in the "[GUIDE] MacBook Pro: solving eGPU error 12 in Windows 10".

I tried almost every solution shown there, that I have the skill to handle, including goalque's automate-eGPU EFI boot from a EFIBoot hang

USB stick, modified with his patch for Catalina. It runs and gets as far as the menu, but when I use the down arrow to the "Load Windows" option and hit enter, the entire system just hangs and nothing else happens.

I'm completely exhausted and frustrated, but I guess the bottom line is that I’m out of self-help options...

MacBook Pro 15” 2017
Model A1707
MacBookPro14,3
Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz (4 cores)
Memory: 16 GB
Discrete Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 560
VRAM (Total): 4 GB

EFIBoot hang

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
guyinsea
(@guyinsea)

What is the purpose of booting into macOS from the EFI menu?

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Leandro S
(@leandro_s)

@0badger0, I fully understand your frustration. I went through the same. as far as i know the only way is to buy the $ 15 program q exists here on the forum. I forgot the name of the guy who sells. but it was the only solution for me

@guyinsea, DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 good lock

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@0badger0, For Apple T2 Security Chip Macs, I'd recommend using the modified apple_set_os v0.5. If that does not resolve error 12, best to use Windows 10 1903 V1.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
roibosh
(@roibosh)

Hi guys, 

I have not been following the discussion since about two years, could someone update me on the following? 

Can I make Nvidia/CUDA work on macOS Catalina on the 2016 no-touchbar mbp and the GTX 1070? What are the prospect for future macOS versions?

Since I was last up to date, this was not possible as there were no drivers available for MacOS > 10.13 and Pascal architecture...

Did this change? Sorry for the inconvenience, I tried to find out by skimming the thread, but 100 pages are just too much...

There was some talk about Catalina working and I did not see Nvidia GPUs explicitly excluded so what's the current state?

Thanks!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 of  114