Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  116
  RSS

dimi
 dimi
(@dimi)

@mikeyb411, hey thank u for ur advice but this is absolution for mac os. Iam trying to boot windows 10 on bootcamp with an egpu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Leandro S
(@leandro_s)

@dimi, my biggest fear is this! I do not change my GPU RX 580 for the 5700xt. fear of losing functionality on windows.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

Just updated to Big Sur tonight and now I can’t get automate eGPU to launch. When I hold down option key at startup, I can see the EFI boot option for automate egpu, but when I click it, the screen glitches quickly with blurred white text and then goes to a black screen. No menu shows like before. The system doesn’t seem to know what to do.

Also, I noticed that my Windows Bootcamp option at startup got renamed to EFI Boot. I can still click it and it launches Windows fine, but of course without egpu support.

Has anyone else faced this same issue? I haven’t tried purge wrangler because I want to get my Windows Bootcamp working again with my egpu. And as far as I know, purge wrangler only works to enable Mac OS with your egpu. Any help is appreciated.

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@scensory, Format the partition and copy automate-eGPU EFI back onto it.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)
Eminent Member

@scensory, for now you’ll have to use purge-wrangler or downgrade back to Catalina, automate-EFI is unsupported with Big Sur

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, AMD RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @scensory

I haven’t tried purge wrangler because I want to get my Windows Bootcamp working again with my egpu. And as far as I know, purge wrangler only works to enable Mac OS with your egpu. Any help is appreciated.

Correct. The script will not help with bootcamp. Not sure why it isn’t exactly clear as day to most.

To everyone - PurgeWrangler has NOTHING to do with bootcamp and cannot possibly affect it.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

*sigh* I was afraid this would happen. Oh well, I guess what I’m going to do is revert back to Catalina. At least then I can use my egpu with both Bootcamp and Mac OS. Appreciate the responses guys!

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@scensory, EFI might not be working due to firmware update. Rolling back might not fix the issue. You might want to try debugging further (use debug mode, post logs, etc.).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@mac_editor, oh sh!t I think you might be right! I didn’t even think about the firmware getting updated. How would I be able to check if that occurred? Is there certain logs?

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
Leandro S
(@leandro_s)

@scensory, https://github.com/mayankk2308/purge-wrangler/wiki/Beginne r's-Guide

ReplyQuote
 of  116