Clear all

[Solved] automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  115
  RSS

goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @scensory

@zenon_brak, I’m not sure if an update is coming 🙁 It’s been a few weeks now since the release of Big Sur and @goalque has yet to respond to anything.

In doing research though, I’m not sure an update to this EFI would be ideal anyways as it uses Clover to execute. From what I’ve been told, Clover is old and outdated and not exactly safe for Macs (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). The safer alternative is supposed to be OpenCore. Maybe someone will come along with a new solution for TB2 macs, but I’m not holding my breath.

Kernel patching is done by OpenCore in the current version of Clover. Building the old version gave errors and it would be a huge amount of work to make it work using OpenCore. I would have to start from the beginning. Unfortunately I don't have time to look into this.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@goalque, hey, thanks for replying! So, is there anyway to get this working again with firmware version 429? What is causing it to crash immediately at launch?

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

drYY liked
ReplyQuote
Bobjoejim
(@bobjoejim)

Posted by: @goalque

@montenegroexperte

Did you remove apple_set_os.efi as instructed in the first post?

Some displays are not compatible and stay black. In that case, your last chance is to set DropThunderbolt = true and SkipSetupDataForOSX = false but only at your own risk. It removes Thunderbolt ACPI configurations.

@goalque

Using automate-eGPU EFI worked great for me in Mojave, but after upgrading to Catalina and applying the Catalina fixes my display wouldn't work until I also applied the "last chance" fixes you mentioned here. It's working after I set those now, but what are the risks exactly? Is this safe for continual usage? Thanks!

Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro + AKiTiO Thunder2 + RX 570

ReplyQuote
andyegoo
(@andyegoo)

Good afternoon! I faced the same problem with my Macbook Pro 13 2014 retina. I get a black screen with apple_set_os. efi when I try to boot into windows. Firmware 429.0.0.0.0
I understand correctly now there is no solution to our problem?

This post was modified 1 week ago
2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2)+Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
GatOber
(@gatober)

@andyegoo, Big sur bios update? still incompatible.

Ps: I made the update before reading here, i feel dumb now :(.

Macbook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013 + Razer Core X + Yeston RX 480 SP

ReplyQuote
andyegoo
(@andyegoo)

@gatober,

Hello everyone I was able to run windows bootcamp on an external monitor, waited until the basic AMD drivers were loaded, then made the external screen the main one, and reinstalled the latest ones from the off site. The internal screen does not work, this is very sad since I often used the egpu in the internal screen of the macbook

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2)+Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@andyegoo, can you explain a little more on how you did this? I’m interested to try it out on my machine. If you don’t mind, step by step please.

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andyegoo
(@andyegoo)

Hello. I installed windows 10 bootcamp and drivers, then updated windows 10 to the latest version. I turned off the laptop connected the egpu turned on the mbp retina 13 2014 and loaded windows I had to wait about 10 minutes until the system automatically loads the drivers. Interestingly, by default, the TV screen was not active with the windows keys (cmd)+P set the repeat mode. After that, when the image appeared, I installed the latest drivers from the amd website. After that, I turned on the mode of using only the external screen.

This post was modified 6 days ago

ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@andyegoo, holy shit, it worked!! I did what you said above (for the most part) and I got it work! The only thing that was slightly different for me was the part about pushing command (Win) + P.

So, what happened for me was after I shutdown my laptop, I plugged in the egpu like you said, turned on my Mac, held option of course to bring up boot screen, selected Windows (Bootcamp), and then my internal screen went black (where it usually shows the Windows logo as the loading screen). At this point I thought it wasn’t going to work because I couldn’t see anything. I let it go for a few mins because you had said to wait about 10 mins for the drivers to install. I waited about 10-15 and nothing changed (ext monitor didn’t come on, internal screen stayed black). At this point, I tried doing the command + P presses and after 1-2 tries I noticed my ext monitor came on and was registering a signal, but just a black screen. I moved the mouse on the touchpad and I could see the mouse cursor on my ext monitor so I knew it was somewhat working! Smile I tried pressing command + P again and again hoping to get a desktop on the ext monitor but nothing happened. So I went to Google and searched what happens when you press Win+P. Turns out a pop-up screen shows in the lower right corner of the desktop asking what option you would like to do (pc screen only, duplicate, extend, or second screen only). I figured this must be showing on my internal, but I just can’t see it because the MacBook screen is black and not on. I tried pressing arrow down and hitting enter and upon doing this a couple times I must have selected the right option because all of a sudden my ext monitor switched from being black with just cursor to showing the windows login screen! So what was happening the whole time behind the black internal was that it was stuck at the login screen waiting for me to enter my password to login. I typed in my password and logged in and BOOM! Windows desktop loaded and everything was working on my ext monitor! The internal screen on the MacBook still stayed black, but that is ok. This is a huge improvement being that the egpu was not working at all before!

Going to try and install the latest AMD drivers and play with it some more! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING! Been stuck since the launch of Big Sur and updating.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

Proof I got it working! Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  115