Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  117
  RSS

Scensory
(@scensory)
Eminent Member

@andyegoo, I can confirm 11.2.1 still works with eGPU in Bootcamp Windows. We good.

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.2.1 & Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Paul Beers
(@paul_beers)

EDIT:  No idea, but i booted to Windows without the egpu, and then tried again and it worked perfectly.   No issues and I've successfully booted into windows with the 1060 multiple times.   I even ran Unigen Heaven benchmark and went form single digits with the Intel iGPU to 30fps with the 1060 in the Aorus Gaming Box.    Fortnite for my kid is locked at 60fps on Medium settings at 1280x800.   Ths laptop just went from being virtually useless for anything other than web surfing, to having new life!

I'm probably missing something, but here goes.....

Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro base (only Intel iGPU, 8GB of Ram 256GB SSD).   I want to use an Aorus Gaming Box with an Nvidia 1060 3GB GPU.   I know the GPU and box combo works (have a Windows 10 laptop with TB3).   However, when I boot my Macbook Pro, even with a USB drive running the EFI script, it starts to boot to Windows and then restarts and boots to Mac OS.   It's like it crashes Windows and then defaults to Mac OS.

Late 2013 MBP 15" iGPU Only > 3' TB2 Cable > Apple Thunderbolt 2 to TB3 adapter > Aorus Gaming Box w/ 3GB Nvidia 1060 GPU  

Running Mac OS 11.2.1 just updated last night.

Help!

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DidierC41
(@didierc41)
Eminent Member

@goalque, Hello again to these great members.

I have been away for personal reasons during almost one year, but I am trying to giddy again in eGPU stuff.

I used to have a working eGPU set using Goalie great solution (automate-eGPU-EFI-v.1.0.4) in high Sierra with a Sonnet breakaway box 550W and Nvidia GTX1080, in my MBP2016 15" with RP460 dGPU.

but I had to migrate to Catalina and it killed my eGPU installation as expected.

As far as  understand now, the Nvidia drivers are incompatible with Catalina, so I uninstall these. If I am understanding well the post I have read, the most up-to-date solution for Catalina (10.15.7) is goalque EFI v1.0.5.zip set. But in the install post it is said first to check system with 

./validate-kexts.sh 

and this returns in my case : Invalid system kext found.

I saw no post about what to do to fix this very first step. My SIP is enabled. Is there a fix to validate kext ?

Thanks in advance if someone knows that.

MacBookPro 15" 2016, MacOS 10.15.7 (19H2), dGPU RP460, Sonnet eGFX BB550W, NVIDIA GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
Sasha Chernenko
(@sasha_chernenko)

Posted by: @alexosaurus

Hey everyone!

I'm having an issue, when I select windows with this boot loader it freezes and nothing happens. It used to work fine before big sur but it seems to be broken now?

I'm using a 2016 15" MBP running Mac OS 11.2 with an RX580.

Any help would be super appreciated! I've tried everything I could think of, tried other boot loaders but nothing seems to work!

@alexosaurus - same here - did you find a cause/solution?

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alexosaurus
(@alexosaurus)

@sasha_chernenko

I found that by plugging the egpu in a different port it would work fine without the boot loader. But I was never able to get the boot loader to work.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Sasha Chernenko
(@sasha_chernenko)

@alexosaurus, thanks for responding, I figured this one out already rather quickly by enabling Debug mode of CLOVER and seeing that it tries to load Windows from another disk Volume. Just had to provide all EFI/Microsoft stuff to it on that volume and it started loading OS.

Next for me is to figure out iGPU and error 12.

2019 27" iMac 5K (RP570X) [8th,6C] + RTX 3060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alexosaurus
(@alexosaurus)

@sasha_chernenko, Interesting! I searched for a solution everywhere but never found that this could be the issue!

ReplyQuote
OllieWhite05
(@olliewhite05)

Posted by: @didierc41

@goalque, Hello again to these great members.

I have been away for personal reasons during almost one year, but I am trying to giddy again in eGPU stuff.

I used to have a working eGPU set using Goalie great solution (automate-eGPU-EFI-v.1.0.4) in high Sierra with a Sonnet breakaway box 550W and Nvidia GTX1080, in my MBP2016 15" with RP460 dGPU.

but I had to migrate to Catalina and it killed my eGPU installation as expected.

As far as  understand now, the Nvidia drivers are incompatible with Catalina, so I uninstall these. If I am understanding well the post I have read, the most up-to-date solution for Catalina (10.15.7) is goalque EFI v1.0.5.zip set. But in the install post it is said first to check system with 

./validate-kexts.sh 

and this returns in my case : Invalid system kext found.

I saw no post about what to do to fix this very first step. My SIP is enabled. Is there a fix to validate kext ?

Thanks in advance if someone knows that.

Hi,

I also get the "invalid system kext found" error even after reinstalling Big Sur.

@didierc41 Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  Or if anyone else knows how to fix this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

13-inch Macbook Pro 2019 i5 16gb
XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT
Razer core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
donsuper
(@donsuper)

Hi,

I am using Mac mini late 2014, clean install big sur, it’s got tb2, and I am new to egpu, any suggestions for the best way or working solution to connect a amd display card to it? 
Really not sure which way I should go for.

ReplyQuote
Christian0341
(@christian0341)

@goalque, I copypasted EFI from the download to a DOS-formatted memory stick and restarted holding down the ALT-key, but nothing happened. I got a black screen for a bit longer time than normal and then High Sierra started. Why couldn't I start from the memory stick?

ReplyQuote
 of  117