[Solved] automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  118
  RSS

DidierC41
(@didierc41)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @olliewhite05
Posted by: @didierc41

@goalque, Hello again to these great members.

I have been away for personal reasons during almost one year, but I am trying to giddy again in eGPU stuff.

I used to have a working eGPU set using Goalie great solution (automate-eGPU-EFI-v.1.0.4) in high Sierra with a Sonnet breakaway box 550W and Nvidia GTX1080, in my MBP2016 15" with RP460 dGPU.

but I had to migrate to Catalina and it killed my eGPU installation as expected.

As far as  understand now, the Nvidia drivers are incompatible with Catalina, so I uninstall these. If I am understanding well the post I have read, the most up-to-date solution for Catalina (10.15.7) is goalque EFI v1.0.5.zip set. But in the install post it is said first to check system with 

./validate-kexts.sh 

and this returns in my case : Invalid system kext found.

I saw no post about what to do to fix this very first step. My SIP is enabled. Is there a fix to validate kext ?

Thanks in advance if someone knows that.

Hi,

I also get the "invalid system kext found" error even after reinstalling Big Sur.

@didierc41 Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  Or if anyone else knows how to fix this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi @olliewhite05, no, I did not find any solution, and got no answer/suggestions from the group.

Maybe I am the only one trying to use goalque's EFI v1.0.5.zip solution with Catalina, and maybe this is not feasible.

Actually since there is - I think - no Nvidia drivers for Catalina or more recent OS X version on Nvidia website, I don't even know wether what I ask for is possible. This may be the reason why I get no answers, perhaps my question is stupid and my quest is vain.

If this is the case please tell me. I will stop trying and sell back my Nvidia GTX1080.

Didier.

MacBookPro 15" 2016, MacOS 10.15.7 (19H2), dGPU RP460, Sonnet Breakaway 550, NVIDIA GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@didierc41, GTX 1080 will only work with NVIDIA web drivers on macOS High Sierra. Newer versions of macOS are not supported. You need AMD GPUs for that. Also, it has been pretty clear that NVIDIA (Maxwell/Pascal) support was dropped after High Sierra.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DidierC41
(@didierc41)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

@didierc41, GTX 1080 will only work with NVIDIA web drivers on macOS High Sierra. Newer versions of macOS are not supported. You need AMD GPUs for that. Also, it has been pretty clear that NVIDIA (Maxwell/Pascal) support was dropped after High Sierra.

Thank you very much for your answer @mac_editor; it is a pity that the endless war between apple and Nvidia has this effect.

Hence I tried another solution: since before upgrading to Catalina, my HighSierra + EFI v1.0.4 was working with my GTX 1080 eGPU, I tried to rebuild a similar setting using an external drive:

- install a clean MacOS HighSierra on a fast external SSD drive

- Install @Goalque' automate-eGPU-EFI-v.1.0.4 (the version that used to work on my previous setting) choose "hybrid (AMD dGPU)", on a FAT32 USB stick

- run macOS-eGPU.sh to re-install compatible Nvidia driver for this HighSierra version (from  https://github.com/learex/macOS-eGPU)

- boot from this MacOS highSierra, plug the USB stick, option-reboot for EFI boot, log in, hot plug the Nvidia (Sonnet breakaway box)

=> and it WORKS! I ran some Unigine Valley etc bench,  everything was working as fast as before. 

But at my second trial (I mean rebooting etc after a couple of days while), the same booting process results  only in a black screen and system crash 🙁

I tried several steps (plugin the eGPU without login, etc). No way.

Then I uninstall everything (Nvidia web drivers, EFI USB), re-install everything, reboot with the above process: It works again. But just once.

I really do not understand what causes this behavior: it seems that the first booting process writes something somewhere, so that any successive trial crashes.

If someone get an idea... I'm desperate.

Didier.

MacBookPro 15" 2016, MacOS 10.15.7 (19H2), dGPU RP460, Sonnet Breakaway 550, NVIDIA GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
 of  118