Setup & Software Discussions
automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows

automate-eGPU EFI - eGPU boot manager for macOS and Windows  

of  21
  RSS

(@maximilian_m)

Posted by: iaomw

It works great on macOS. But I got issue with Windows.
Is that possible to work with external WTG (Windows to Go) usb disk?

I mean the macOS is still on the internal disk, but windows is on the external usb disk. 
When I was trying to load windows from your EFI menu, it will just froze here forever.

Sorry, if this is already discussed somewhere in the form. It's difficult to search.

I have exactly the same problem it says "Ready" in the bottom line but no inputs will be recognized and the notebook just heats up.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

@iaomw
@maximilian_m

I don't know exactly how the automate-eGPU EFI searches for and loads windows, but think the EFI should load windows if the windows bootloader is installed to the ESP. You can mount your ESP (aka EFI system partition) pretty easily in macOS, just follow the  commands from this modMy post. (Also, obviously don't change anything if you don't know what you're doing) If you have \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi then I believe window should load. If not then windows probably can't load.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to make the Mac automatically boot this on startup without having to do the "hold down option key" thing and then select the USB stick from the boot options.  With the combination of a wireless keyboard and not being able to see the boot options menu, it makes trying to actually get to the automate-eGPU menu a bit of a pain.  What would be amazing is to simply be able to power on the machine and go straight to the "press 1 for macOS, 2 for Windows" type menu.

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@habadera This is mentioned in the first post. You should be able to do it from within the EFI menus.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
Multiple Build Guides
----
Current: MacBook Pro RP560X + 480/R9 Fury/Vega 64 | GTX 780/1070
Previous: 2014 MacBook Pro 750M + 480/R9 Fury | GTX 780/980 Ti/1070

ReplyQuote
Buttons
(@buttons)

@Habadera 

I second this -- I use an Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard, and it seems that no trick of timing will get the 'Option' key to register at boot. Although you can enable "Load at startup" from the automate-eGPU bootloader menu, at the moment there are two problems, at least on a 2018 13" Macbook Pro (macOS 10.14.2):

1) Restarting from within Windows does not seem to invoke the boot menu;
2) If no eGPU is connected, choosing macOS from the menu does nothing, and it does not boot (on a usability note: this means you'll still need to invoke the option key to get into clean macOS).

Granted, both problems can be avoided by using a wired keyboard ... but you and I both know we aren't going to get one 😉
Anyone with a wireless keyboard able to comment?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

@mac_editor Thank you for clarifying.  It wasn't working for me which is why I was asking because I wasn't sure if I'd understood the instructions correctly.

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: Buttons

@Habadera 

I second this -- I use an Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard, and it seems that no trick of timing will get the 'Option' key to register at boot. Although you can enable "Load at startup" from the automate-eGPU bootloader menu, at the moment there are two problems, at least on a 2018 13" Macbook Pro (macOS 10.14.2):

1) Restarting from within Windows does not seem to invoke the boot menu;
2) If no eGPU is connected, choosing macOS from the menu does nothing, and it does not boot (on a usability note: this means you'll still need to invoke the option key to get into clean macOS).

Granted, both problems can be avoided by using a wired keyboard ... but you and I both know we aren't going to get one 😉
Anyone with a wireless keyboard able to comment?

I use my iPhone charge cable to turn my wireless keyboard into a wired one for boot selection and Windows use (as my BT doesn't work in Windows - prob due to the eGPU taking up resources).

Best of both worlds and I just hide the cable away when in macOS.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

@eightarmedpet

Unfortunately, I've discovered I have a more fundamental issue than that.  I borrowed a spare USB keyboard off my neighbor, but I simply don't see the boot menu when my monitor is plugged into my HDMI port.  Nothing comes up even when the run on startup option is set.

It works when I plug the HDMI cable directly into my Mac Mini, but then I get no eGPU at all in Windows.  And even after installing drivers, it is disabled in Windows with an error 24.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Habadera

@eightarmedpet

Unfortunately, I've discovered I have a more fundamental issue than that.  I borrowed a spare USB keyboard off my neighbor, but I simply don't see the boot menu when my monitor is plugged into my HDMI port.  Nothing comes up even when the run on startup option is set.

It works when I plug the HDMI cable directly into my Mac Mini, but then I get no eGPU at all in Windows.  And even after installing drivers, it is disabled in Windows with an error 24.

Boot screen via an eGPU is not supported at present.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: goalque

@eightarmedpet

Boot screen via an eGPU is not supported at present.

Tempting fate here, but sounds like this might bee a rare case of the LG 5K Ultrafine being advantageous. Hopefully I have no issues when setting up...

---

ReplyQuote
seaccat
(@seaccat)

Hi everyone,
@goalque , thanks for the great tool and amazing amount of work.

My setup currently is 2018 15" MBP, with an Akitio Node Pro and Geforce 1070Ti.

Just checking: there's no way to run two version of OS X with automate-eGPU EFI?
I have 10.14 / Mojave installed on my internal SSD and 10.13.6 on a USB drive. I can boot from another USB drive with the EFI Boot files on, but selecting 'launch Mac OS' then just fires up 10.14 again.

Launching 10.13 by option-booting works without any problems, and I've installed & patched all the right Nvidia drivers

I've had luck previously with purge-wrangler, so is it best to just stick with that while there's no multiple OS X support?

2018 i7 15" MPB | Radeon Pro 555X dGPU | AKiTiO Node Pro | MSI GeForce 1070Ti

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

Test this on Mac Mini 2018 running Mojave 10.14.2 dual monitor setup (Core X + Radeon Vega 64 connected via T3)

2 outputs:
HDMI out from Mac Mini (mainly to get the boot screen)
HDMI out from the eGPU

In Windows 10 (Boot camp) iGPU works, eGPU does not.  In the Device Manager entry for the Vega it reports:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Error 43).

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Test this on Mac Mini 2018 running Mojave 10.14.2 dual monitor setup (Core X + Radeon Vega 64 connected via T3)

2 outputs:
HDMI out from Mac Mini (mainly to get the boot screen)
HDMI out from the eGPU

In Windows 10 (Boot camp) iGPU works, eGPU does not.  In the Device Manager entry for the Vega it reports:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Error 43).

Assume it works in macOS?
Error 43 tends to be driver or power elated in my experience. 
Assume you have installed the correct drivers?

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@habadera The EFI Boot Manager does not facilitate AMD eGPU in Windows Boot Camp per se. It helps keeping the iGPU activated when there's an eGPU connected. Download and run DDU to clear AMD graphics drivers. Then install the latest drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

@eightarmedpet @itsage

Ahh that's useful to know about the integrated GPU.

Does DDU do anything more than removing and then installing new drivers in Device Manager?  I tried using Device Manager and uninstalled the drivers Windows supplied and then installed the latest drivers direct from AMD using the "Browse to location" and then "Pick from drivers" or somesuch similar thing (I don't remember the exact text).

The most recent drivers (25.20.14011.10001) failed to install, but an older version (22.19.677.257) reported that it installed ok and the Vega showed up without the little "broken triangle" in Device Manager.  But then it failed immediately with the same code 43 after a reboot.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@habadera I had the same issue - first instal worked perfectly but reboots errored. Check my build guide in my sig for more details but with my 2017 MacBook Pro I have to plug the eGPU in the split second after I select Windows from EFI Bootmanager.

---

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

So sadly, DDU doesn't seem to solve it.  I downloaded it, removed all the drivers, rebooted.  Just iGPU showing in Device Manager.  I downloaded the latest drivers from AMD, installed them and...

oh wait!  Drivers install! 
AMD XConnect notification pops up! 
iGPU and eGPU both showing up in Device Manager without warning triangle!
Never seen it get this far before!

Reboot my machine to see if it's fixed and....

Code 43, drivers not detected, card has warning triangle etc. etc...

So near, but so far.  Back to square one I guess.  I think I'm going to just give up for the time being and go back to what I had working before (eGPU working, but no iGPU)

Edit: @eightarmedpet - I think you posted while I was writing my comment.  Yeah, sounds like the same problem.  I'm just gonna stick with my previous setup - can't be bothered with having to plug the eGPU at the right time.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@habadera that's super frsutrating! I don't want to have to mess about with hot plugging anymore either, @itsage has a couple of guides where he disables a few bits and bobs to help with error 12, but error 43 is a different kettle of fish so not sure if it will work with you, hmmmm... hopefully my mini arrives today/tomo so I can crack on with set up and testing, hope not to have any issues but we will see...

---

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)

@eightarmedpet Good luck with it.  If you make any further progress be sure to post it back here.  It would be nice to find a solution to have both GPUs running one day, although I suspect it'll probably require some official changes from Apple to make it happen and they don't seem all that interested in Boot Camp these days.

ReplyQuote
hypnagogic
(@hypnagogic)

This is a general question to everyone on this thread. 

Was anyone here able to make NVIDIA Titan XP in eGPU (Akitio Node) work with Mac OS X > 10.13.4 ? I had it working fine previously (<= 10.13.3 ) but the setup is completely broken after upgrading to 10.13.5|6. I've tried pretty much everything.

Configs: Cuda 9.1.128, Mac OS X [10.13.5:17F77] Web driver: 387.10.10.10.35.106, Xcode 9.2
I am able to compile and run the CUDA samples no problem.

The only issue is that the web driver doesn't detect the GPU doesn't matter what combination of hot-plugging/reboot/logout etc. cycles are done.

Any help will be tremendously appreciated!!!

Macbook Pro 2017 (touch bar) 15' + Akitio Node Pro + Titnan Xp. System: Mac OS 10.13.6,

ReplyQuote
iaomw
(@iaomw)

Posted by: nu_ninja

@iaomw
@maximilian_m

I don't know exactly how the automate-eGPU EFI searches for and loads windows, but think the EFI should load windows if the windows bootloader is installed to the ESP. You can mount your ESP (aka EFI system partition) pretty easily in macOS, just follow the  commands from this modMy post. (Also, obviously don't change anything if you don't know what you're doing) If you have \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi then I believe window should load. If not then windows probably can't load.

Hi. When installing Windows on external disk, it will not touch the EFI on internal disk. So, I don't think there is such \EFI\Microsoft\.... on the internal disk. And looks like [automate-eGPU EFI] cannot use the EFI partition on external disk, even though I set the external disk as [startup disk].

ReplyQuote
(@tony_zhang)

Hi goalque, I just want to say many many thanks to you! It worked perfectly on my macbook pro 2016 mac 10.13.6 with Akitio node enclosing a GTX1060 on it. It took me weeks with GPU undetected error until I found this post! Awesome work!

Macbook Pro 2016 15' + Akitio Node + GTX1060 System: Mac OS 10.13.6, Win10

ReplyQuote
hypnagogic
(@hypnagogic)

Hi Tony, may I ask you a few follow up questions please:

1. What's the version of your Nvidia web driver? (for e.g. 387.10.10.10.40.113)
2. Which version of automate-efi are you using (1.0.4 or 1.0.5)?
3. Did you load into a separate USB (Fat32) disk for EFI booting or use internal Hdd efi partition?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I still can't bypass the gpu detection error unfortunately - not sure whether it's because of the web driver not supporting pascal architecture GPUs. 

Thanks in advance!

Macbook Pro 2017 (touch bar) 15' + Akitio Node Pro + Titnan Xp. System: Mac OS 10.13.6,

ReplyQuote
gzstranger
(@gzstranger)

@goalque Thank you very much for the tool! It works for me, but not always... Sometimes I could boot into Win with both GPU working, sometimes the eGPU just didn't show up.  I have two questions:

1. Currently I'm using Mac mini 2018 and Core X with Vega 65. On the screen of EFI bootloader, it always says eGPU is not connected. When I was using RX580 and GTX1070 Gaming box, it always says eGPU connected, and they were working trouble free in Win 10. May I ask why  the bootloader cannot detect my eGPU?

2. when using your command to check the cleanness of my mac kexts, it shows I have modified kext. Maybe this is because I tried to make GTX1070 work in OS X, but I really don't recall I changed any kexts.  Could you please tell me how to clean my system

Thank you so much!

------------------------------------------------------

I think the second question is because I used pruge wrangler command. I will try to recover from it by using 

mount -uw /
purge-wrangler -r

Mac mini 2018 i5
Razer Core X
Sapphire Vega 65 with Alphacooling AIO

ReplyQuote
(@tony_zhang)

@chippy-mcchipset

I am also confused about this and I didn't find the answer from goalque. Do you know if I should do the step 3,4 every time or just the first time?Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2016 15' + Akitio Node + GTX1060 System: Mac OS 10.13.6, Win10

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Tony Zhang

@chippy-mcchipset

I am also confused about this and I didn't find the answer from goalque. Do you know if I should do the step 3,4 every time or just the first time?Thanks!

The questions have been answered:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/paged/3/#post-45731

I have no specific answers for everything, I don't know 🙂

--

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, @mac_editor
Using my 15-inch MPB 2018 with Radeon 560X dGPU, I always had to switch off the dGPU with "pmset -a gpuswitch 0" when plugging an nVidia eGPU. If it was not done, the internal screen would go black and the system would go slow very soon.

That was the fact with an GTX1080Ti eGPU. Now I am trying (for other reasons) a GTX1050 eGPU and big surprise: It's not necessary to switch it off!

This is a huge relief, as the switching on/off is really annoying and can have several bad effects.
Is there some explanation for this? Are the nVidia web drivers just better for the GTX1050 than for the GTX1080Ti? What about other nVidia cards?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
marspilot
(@marspilot)

Almost working?  but getting kernel panic.

I've got a mid 2014 13" macbook pro (based in the keyboard I think it is the UK version) intel iris 1536 built in graphics

Mac OS version 10.13.6 ( 17G65 )

akitio node with a GTX 1080Ti
The node is recently purchased new with no firmware updates (not sure how to do that with a mac)

I used the Benjamin-Dobell script to install nVidia drivers
it claims to have installed version 387.10.10.10.40.105

I used mac_editor's automate-eGPU-EFI-install.txt script to create a thumb drive with goalque's automate-eGPU EFI 1.0.5. Thumb drive seems to work. It gives me an EFI menu if I hold down option, etc

I am currently doing this:
shutdown and restart without EFI thumb drive twice
insert thumb drive and boot with EFI
hotplug akitio node

I can hear the akitio node fan spin up and the 1080Ti fans and lights come on.
The HDMI display plugged into the 1080Ti stays black.
But then... The mouse pointer keeps moving for a bit but mouse clicks stop working. Sometimes the mouse will freeze 20-30 sec or so after hotplug the laptop screen goes black and I get the "your computer restarted because of a problem" death screen.

after a reboot, the crash report says:
panic ... NVRM ... Read Error
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb(10.3.3)
com.nvidia.web.NVDAGP100HalWeb(10.3.3)
com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb(10.3.3)
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

On my very first attempt to get things running, ( now many tries ago and details hazy) system report showed the atiko node under the thunderbolt tab and showed the nvidia card under the graphics/displays tab, I thought I was home-free, but after a minute or two, the system froze, screen went blank and the system rebooted (similar signature to what I am seeing now I think.)
In the current pattern of behavior,  the system becomes non responsive to mouse events before I can navigate through system report.  
It seems like it Nvidia drivers are related to the panic, so it seems like the mac is talking to the node and the driver is getting loaded.

Any hints, thoughts, or suggestions of things to try next?

mid-2014 13" Macbook Pro + tb2->tb3 + Akitio Node + 1080Ti + macOS 10.13.6 (17G65)

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)

Would anyone know how to change operating system names in bootloader? After installing Automate-GPU 1.0.4 it incorrectly replaced my bootcamp grey icons.  My windows icon completely disappeared and created 2 blue diamond shaped icons of which both logged into Mac OSX but one was incorrectly named as "Windows"

Another question was if Gatekeeper and partial SIP can be enabled or must be disabled always?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member

I have installed Windows 10 on a USB SSD drive. When trying to load windows through this EFI loader, the system freezes after selecting Windows. Any ideas?

Also, how can I get rid of black screen when booting to windows with eGPU? Does this loader help in this case?

I'm using a MacBook Pro 2018 with RX560 and a Vega 64 in a Razer Core X.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
DrexelsMind
(@drexelsmind)

Will this work with windows 10 iso on an external drive? I have windows 10 on my external drive and I just added the eGPU- efi to an MS DOS (FAT) partition on the same hard drive I boot up and get black screen. I’m currently on a 2017 MBP nTB, with a core x and amd RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@raybanner, @drexelsmind

As said earlier in this thread, I don't know if external Win10 installations work. Probably not. I don't have time to debug, unfortunately. I've tested only the internal disk, Win10 installed through the Boot Camp Assistant. Turn on the Clover debug flag to identify where the boot process is failing. The app looks for the hidden volume "EFI" (disk0s1 identifier) and tries to use Windows startup efi file from there, and if doesn't exist, you cannot boot into Windows. Be sure that your USB stick isn't labeled as "EFI".

--

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, I have just an issue I had several times before, but now it's clear that it has a connection with you Bootloader.
I had a new installed system (bootcamp) where everything worked perfect plug-n-play. internal display AMD, eGPU nvidia. I worked a long time with this setup and it was super stable. plug an unplug as often as I want, change nVidia gpus on the-fly, everything worked perfect.

Then, after a while, I tried to run an nVidia GPU under MacOSX, so I use the bootloader once.
After this one time, my internal display goes havoc every time when I start bootcamp. Even though I do not use the Bootloader at all (I never use it for bootcamp anyway). I tried "reset" in the Bootload-menu, no success.

This time, it is so clear as never before, that theproblem is caused by the bootmanager. Apparently it changes something in the VRAM that severely disturbs the internal display in bootcamp.
So how can I reset this (except for a complete VRAM reset)?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I have to add, that something like this happened before several times. Sometimes even the internal display won't work at all, even pre-bootcamp. Once I had to got to an Apple service and they could revive it with VRAM reset.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@oliverb I recall that apple_set_os.efi wasn't compatible with the 2018 15" MBP. Removing it may help.

Apple firmware itself remembers the last booted operating system and stores it into nvram. The app doesn't modify your system in any way, except if you choose "Launch on startup" (modifies the nvram value of the default startup disk).

EDIT: and of course, if you set MuxSetting=1 (integrated) and the apple_set_os.efi isn't workable, it definitely causes issues. By default config.plist, gmux state is not changed (MuxSetting=0).

--

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, same thinking.

Actually I did exactly what you suggested before even reading it: I (re)set MuxSetting=0, then booted a couple of times into macosx and finally into Bootcamp and the the internal display works again.

Yes, it looks like the 15-inch MBP 2018 cannot use iGPU correctly in Bootcamp. When using an AMD eGPU, this is really bad news.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
 of  21