Setup & Software Discussions
Best Radeon option for Final Cut Pro & Mac Pro 2013

[Solved] Best Radeon option for Final Cut Pro & Mac Pro 2013  

RSS

Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

I'd like to ask the community for an advice - I'm planning to get into Final Cut Pro using my 8-core Mac Pro with 2xD700 and 64GB. At the moment I use it with Akitio Node 3 with an Nvidia Kepler card + I'm and will continue using Mojave as I still run Aperture for my final pictures and I haven't found an alternative DAM to replace it. In addition to that some of my older software is still 32bit so I will remain on 10.14. 

I've been considering Vega 64 or Vega Frontier due to their performance (both) and memory (VF). Radeon VII seems to be a dud in terms of driver optimization and fan issues. I understand that both GPUs will require a beefier PSU, but I might either upgrade current Akitio or just get another eGPU box. 

Could someone please share their experience with either card and Mac Pro 2013 in terms of Final Cut performance and respective GPU card brand? I'm also wondering whether both cards support 10bit colors? I have a 10bit NEC screen and can see the difference in photos. My Nvidia can be forced into 10bit mode, but something is off and apps (Aperture on menus) don't show correct color space, which means it's just a faux option.

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

mid 2014 MBP 15" GT750m | Mac mini 2012 | Akitio Thunder 2 & 3 | GTX 780 3GB (flashed) | GTX Black Titan 6GB (stock) | Quadro P2000 (stock)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@riss If budget is not an issue the Vega Frontier Edition Liquid Cooled would get my vote.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)
Trusted Member

@riss

I use FCP on my Rad VII and don't see it as a dud (maybe I got lucky). I put it up against the Sapphire Nitro vega 64 but I only have anecdotal evidence so I won't comment (and it is a pain in the butt to switch cards).

2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

@riss If budget is not an issue the Vega Frontier Edition Liquid Cooled would get my vote.

thanks @itsage! unfortunately the liquid version is way way more expensive than the air one and not available in my area... will spring $$$ for the air cooled version and a new eGPU box 

mid 2014 MBP 15" GT750m | Mac mini 2012 | Akitio Thunder 2 & 3 | GTX 780 3GB (flashed) | GTX Black Titan 6GB (stock) | Quadro P2000 (stock)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@riss Another alternative is the NetStor HL23T-Plus Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure with Radeon VII. This enclosure was built specifically for the Radeon VII so there’s no sleep issues. Here’s my build guide with these components for the 2013 Mac Pro.

ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

@riss Another alternative is the NetStor HL23T-Plus Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure with Radeon VII. This enclosure was built specifically for the Radeon VII so there's no sleep issues. Here's my build guide with these components for the 2013 Mac Pro.

@itsage I opted for Razer Core X and Vega Frontier air cooled... Netstor is not available where I am, will report once the parts arrive

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@riss The Radeon Frontier Edition Air Cooled is a beautiful card. The Razer Core X is a good pairing to make sure there’s sufficient power. Looking forward to seeing your build and how they work for your current setup!

Riss liked
ReplyQuote
Riss
 Riss
(@riss)
Eminent Member

@itsage card and eGPU box have arrived - card seems OK (eBay), but the Razer Core X is seriously one cool box, foam inserts inside the box, safety latch on PCIE slot, very nice external finish, large fans...WORTH.EVERY.PENNY!!!  - even under full load (Luxmark, Unigine Heaven) the fans are less than 50% audible than my Akitio Node (tried the card in Node yesterday and it seemed to work even with 400W PSU, probably higher load would switch it off).

The whole thing with purge-wrangler is simple plug&play, sleep mode works fine too. My D700 get around 92k in OpenCL, Vega FE does over 150k, 10bit works perfectly too - this thing is a screamer as Steve used to say:)

Will make some drone footage over the weekend and see how it goes in FCPX

Mac Pro profiler
IMG 8790
IMG 8789
IMG 8788
IMG 8787

This post was modified 7 days ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@riss Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Air is a beautiful card. Enjoy your setup and let us know how the eGPU goes with your FCPX workflow. 

Riss liked
ReplyQuote