Notifications
Clear all

Blackmagic eGPU + 2019 MacBook Pro 15,6" keeps crashing  

RSS

Timo Grün
(@timo_grun)

Hi Folks, 

my setup keeps crashing occasionally.

I can't figure out the reason. After the latest firmware update, it's crashing slightly less, but still, it's happening. Since I'm using the Mac especially for games like Starcraft 2 and for working (with tools like IntelliJ IDEA, Docker,...) it's pretty annoying. It always keeps crashing when adding some load to the system. For the past 2 years, only games were ever able to reach the load. In the last 2 months, even YouTube is sufficient and the eGPU will crash. I'm pretty sure that there is an issue with the eGPU itself or with the Software related to it since I had the exact same issue with my old MacBook Pro (2017 and 15,6"). 

The crash itself is rather easy to describe. Screen gets black, and the Mac prints a warning "Graphics card hasn't been disconnected properly" and that's it. I have to wait at least 15mins before the eGPU can be attached again, and works again. There is also a little "click" sound from within the eGPU right when crashing, and there is a "click" sound a second time like 10-15min after. 

My setup:

15-inch MacBook 2019
Version: 11.2.1 (Big Sur)
Processor: 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
Memory: 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Radeon Pro 560X (internal)
SSD: 1TB

+

Blackmagic eGPU 

Any advice here? Anybody with similar issues in the past?

Best

Timo

This topic was modified 1 week ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@timo_grun, That sounds like the power supply inside the Blackmagic eGPU is on its last leg. I'd say to contact Blackmagic Design support for help.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote