Notifications
Clear all

Blackmagic eGPU + 2019 MacBook Pro 15,6" keeps crashing  

RSS

Timo Grün
(@timo_grun)

Hi Folks, 

my setup keeps crashing occasionally.

I can't figure out the reason. After the latest firmware update, it's crashing slightly less, but still, it's happening. Since I'm using the Mac especially for games like Starcraft 2 and for working (with tools like IntelliJ IDEA, Docker,...) it's pretty annoying. It always keeps crashing when adding some load to the system. For the past 2 years, only games were ever able to reach the load. In the last 2 months, even YouTube is sufficient and the eGPU will crash. I'm pretty sure that there is an issue with the eGPU itself or with the Software related to it since I had the exact same issue with my old MacBook Pro (2017 and 15,6"). 

The crash itself is rather easy to describe. Screen gets black, and the Mac prints a warning "Graphics card hasn't been disconnected properly" and that's it. I have to wait at least 15mins before the eGPU can be attached again, and works again. There is also a little "click" sound from within the eGPU right when crashing, and there is a "click" sound a second time like 10-15min after. 

My setup:

15-inch MacBook 2019
Version: 11.2.1 (Big Sur)
Processor: 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
Memory: 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 + Radeon Pro 560X (internal)
SSD: 1TB

+

Blackmagic eGPU 

Any advice here? Anybody with similar issues in the past?

Best

Timo

This topic was modified 5 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@timo_grun, That sounds like the power supply inside the Blackmagic eGPU is on its last leg. I'd say to contact Blackmagic Design support for help.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote