Setup & Software Discussions
Blackmagic EGPU and Bootcamp with a Mac Mini 2018

Blackmagic EGPU and Bootcamp with a Mac Mini 2018  

RSS

C Films
(@c-films)

Been hearing many things about this combo. First that it wasn't supported at all. Then supported in Windows Insider. Then heard that the bootcampdrivers mod was required. Then heard it was only required with Macs that already have dedicated AMD GPU, etc.

Well, my Mac Mini doesn't have a dedicated AMD card, so curious if I really do need the bootcampdrivers. I'd rather not void my warranty if I don't have to. I definitely need something done, because currently Windows Bootcamp recognizes the Blackmagic EGPU, but not as a GPU, and can't find the drivers it needs. I'd really like to try and get it working in Windows if possible. Mainly got it, because it works with my classic Thunderbolt Display. Whereas the other eGPU solutions need a little modding to get the Thunderbolt display working with the Display ports.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

I don't think you can void warranties by installing software.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
C Films
(@c-films)

@joevt

The Bootcampdrivers site says it will. Warms about it on the main page. That's why if there's an alternative, I'd rather go that route.

Like has anyone tried installing the AMD drivers from the AMD site to see if that might get it working?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@c-films Many people/companies are playing it safe because of lawyers. They wanted to make sure it’s explicitly written that if you break anything you can’t blame it on anyone else but yourself. You will be fine with installing the modified Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote