Blackmagic EGPU and Bootcamp with a Mac Mini 2018
Been hearing many things about this combo. First that it wasn't supported at all. Then supported in Windows Insider. Then heard that the bootcampdrivers mod was required. Then heard it was only required with Macs that already have dedicated AMD GPU, etc.
Well, my Mac Mini doesn't have a dedicated AMD card, so curious if I really do need the bootcampdrivers. I'd rather not void my warranty if I don't have to. I definitely need something done, because currently Windows Bootcamp recognizes the Blackmagic EGPU, but not as a GPU, and can't find the drivers it needs. I'd really like to try and get it working in Windows if possible. Mainly got it, because it works with my classic Thunderbolt Display. Whereas the other eGPU solutions need a little modding to get the Thunderbolt display working with the Display ports.
The Bootcampdrivers site says it will. Warms about it on the main page. That's why if there's an alternative, I'd rather go that route.
Like has anyone tried installing the AMD drivers from the AMD site to see if that might get it working?
@c-films Many people/companies are playing it safe because of lawyers. They wanted to make sure it's explicitly written that if you break anything you can't blame it on anyone else but yourself. You will be fine with installing the modified Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.
I'm also interested on this.
Do you have any guide that you are following?
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10
Your post inspired me to test again after a frustrated attempt last year.
Here are the steps that I took:
1. Disconnected the eGPU from my MacMini
2. Installed Windows 10 1909 through Bootcamp
3. Rebooted on Windows
4. Connected the eGPU, but with my monitor still connected directly to the Mac Mini. (not the eGPU)
5. Downloaded the latest driver on bootcampdrivers.com (2020 blue enterprise edition)
6. Ran the AMD Setup and installed the driver. Got a Code 12 Error.
6. Removed the external SSD. Turned Off the computer.
7. Connected my Mac Mini to the eGPU, and the eGPU to the Monitor.
8. Turned On the Mac Mini. Got a black screen, and it looked like the computer rebooted a few times in a row.
9. Nothing was working, so I turned off and on the computer a few times. When I was about to give up, I saw the windows log in screen. The eGPU was installed correctly and working as expected.
Thanks for resurfacing this topic. Good Luck and have fun! =)