Bootcamp issues with 2016 15'' MacBook Pro w/ TouchBar + Akitio Node Pro + RX 57...

Notifications
Clear all

Bootcamp issues with 2016 15'' MacBook Pro w/ TouchBar + Akitio Node Pro + RX 570  

RSS

pedroburgos
(@pedroburgos)

Hi, first of all, thanks for this community and everyone that helps noobs like me.

I installed a ASUS ROG Strix 570 4GB in the Akitio Node Pro and plugged in my MacBook Pro (Hish Sierra 13.4). It was pretty much plug-and-play. The few games that I had on Steam that demanded hardware worked great. But for some reason XCOM 2 didn't work at all. The game would start, but I got a lot of flickering and black spots in the scenarios.

Anyways, I tried to follow TheITSage guide but I got stuck in "If the iGPU shows up in Device Manager as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter,” you may need to install the Intel graphics drivers manually."

I downloaded Intel's utility software, and it simply doesn't recognize my Intel HD 530, so in the device listing, I still see the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" (I was able to remove Apple's with DDU, at least). 

I think because of that, when I try to run integrated.bat or dedicated.bat it says that it's missing a .dll. 

Needless to say, plugging and unplugging the eGPU does nothing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@pedroburgos Did you install 2013 Visual C++?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pedroburgos
(@pedroburgos)

Yes, I saw another post that you recommended this, but it didn't work for me. I installed it, but got the same error message. Does this help to detect the proper Intel card as well?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

How many "Display adapters" in Device Manger are you seeing when the eGPU is connected? If you're seeing only two: “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” and "GeForce GTX 970" it means the Intel iGPU was deactivated at boot. You'd need apple_set_os.efi to keep the iGPU activated when booting into Windows.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
pedroburgos
(@pedroburgos)

I was seeing two, but I deleted one of them and now I see only one "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". I installed rEFInd (so I'm seeing two options to boot). Should I uninstall it and go with the apple_set_os.efi?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
whiskey_1130
(@whiskey_1130)
Eminent Member

I thought it rEFInd plus apple_set_os.efi. Granted I don’t have a dGPU in my MacBook Pro, when rEFInd boots up, I select apple_set_os.efi, the script runs, then I boot into Windows. 

2018 13” MacBook Pro TB + RX 580 + Sonnet Breakaway 550

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote