Setup & Software Discussions
Can't detect Radeon RX 580 & Akitio Thunder2 (MacBook Pro 2014 13" Retina, Mojav...

Can't detect Radeon RX 580 & Akitio Thunder2 (MacBook Pro 2014 13" Retina, Mojave 10.14.3)  

RSS

(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone!

I have a 13" MacbookPro (mid-2014 Retina) with Mojave 10.14.3 on it. I have typed the "csrutil disable" command in recovery mode and then applied the TB1/TB2 Purge script, enabled AMD and Ti82 thing. Unfortunately, my Macbook still cannot detect my Radeon RX 580 in a Akitio Thunder 2 enclosure. 
Previously I connected the same build to my old 13" Macbook Pro (2011), and eventually it worked, even though it was lagging and crashed every once and a while – but that's a different story.

I am trying to figure out what's wrong and what should I do to make my MBP finally detect my eGPU build, but I am still struglling.

Any help or recommendation would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Radeon RX 580 & Akitio Thunder2
Macbook Pro 13" Retina mid-2014, Mojave 10.14.3)

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

The system does detect the Akitio Thunder 2 in the System report/Thunderbolt tab though. It's just that it can't see the Radeon RX 580.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

How are you powering this setup?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

I use Akitio  Thunder 2’s own power adapter and a separate 500W PSU to power Radeon RX 580.

Mac-admin suggested I replaced my graphic card with another one. I’m thinking of basically getting a new unit or maybe getting a better one, with 8GB VRAM instead of 4GB. Or maybe another model entirely

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

We’ve seen stability issues when there’s more than one PSU in an eGPU setup. The best approach to power the AKiTiO Thunder2 + RX 580 is through the barrel plug modification to use one PSU for both the GPU and Thunder2.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Alex Dubinin

I reinserted the power pins from my 500W PSU into the Radeon RX 580 and, to my surprise, the coolers started working. The Macbook immediately recognized it, the chip icon appeared on top. 
As soon as I turned on a game (World of Warcraft), it started glitching and going all crazy, so I unplugged it. When I inserted the HDMI from my external screen into the Radeon RX580 and gave it another try, it started glitching like a second after I turned the game on and the screen turned all grayish-white. After several seconds it crashed. Now my macbook pro has been booting for like several minutes already (apple logo on black background). Needless to say the card is jot working as it’s supposed to regardless of what I’m doing, I can see how the image is lagging even when browsing a Finder window.

Sounds like I definitely need to replace the RX 580? Maybe I should try another model? Or it’s probably just this exact unit, and I should just get a replacement?

Looking forward to your opinion. Thanks in advance.

15B8D92B 823F 4681 858A CDFB580DFB04

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

Will try the barrel thing though.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

So I got myself that barrel plug thing and connected Akitio to the PSU as well. The enclosure turned on without problems, but the graphic card still does not turn on, and, obviously, isn't detected either. I don't know what to do now, kinda frustrated, but still too hyped to make it all work together. Maybe I really should replace that Radeon RX580 and see if it works on another computer?....

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

I checked my RX580 at the shop where I bought it, everything's fine with it.
When I came back, however, I found out that my PSU is actually 450w, not 500w. That's probably the reason why it's not working correctly.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

I got myself a brand new Aerocool VX Plus 650W. Unfortunately, nothing changed. The Radeon RX580 simply doesn't turn on. I am frustrated, yet as determined as ever to solve the problem. Any ideas on what the solution could be?

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

@alex_dubinin

When I was first trying to get my Thunder2 working I found that the black metal part that the gpu io bracket screws into was ever so slightly keeping the card from properly going into the PCI slot. The card wasn't being recognized in a similar way to what you've described. Taking out that part fixed the problem (and I eventually bent the io bracket on my gpu to fit with it in but I'm not sure I recommend that).

Edit:
Here's a picture of the part I mean:

egpu t2 prob small

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

Thanks a lot, that's an interesting version. I will definitely try it!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

@nu_ninja Just tried it, the GPU became even more unstable. I guess it was connected alright with the black part of the Akitio anyway.

ReplyQuote