Notifications
Clear all

Can't detect Radeon RX 580 & Akitio Thunder2 (MacBook Pro 2014 13" Retina, Mojave 10.14.3)  

of  2
  RSS

nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@alex_dubinin

When I was first trying to get my Thunder2 working I found that the black metal part that the gpu io bracket screws into was ever so slightly keeping the card from properly going into the PCI slot. The card wasn't being recognized in a similar way to what you've described. Taking out that part fixed the problem (and I eventually bent the io bracket on my gpu to fit with it in but I'm not sure I recommend that).

Edit:
Here's a picture of the part I mean:

egpu t2 prob small

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alex Dubinin
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

Thanks a lot, that's an interesting version. I will definitely try it!

Radeon RX 580 & Akitio Thunder2
Macbook Pro 13" Retina mid-2014, Mojave 10.14.3)

ReplyQuote
Alex Dubinin
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

@nu_ninja Just tried it, the GPU became even more unstable. I guess it was connected alright with the black part of the Akitio anyway.

This post was modified 3 years ago

ReplyQuote
mfarooqi
(@mfarooqi)

hi @alex_dubinin  could you get the Akitio Thunder2 worked with RX 580.?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alex Dubinin
(@alex_dubinin)
Eminent Member

@mfarooqi, yes it works mate Smile

ReplyQuote
Giancarlo RC
(@giancarlo_rc)

@alex_dubinin, Hey bro! I'm sorry if it's too late already, but may I ask how did you eventually get it working? I think I quite literally have the exact same setup and problem as you (except my card is RX480). Thank you so much ! 😀

This post was modified 9 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2