Catalina 10.15.2: Restarting my 2019 MBP resets individual application eGPU pref...

Catalina 10.15.2: Restarting my 2019 MBP resets individual application eGPU preferences... but does it actually matter on an external monitor?  

RSS

limozeen
(@limozeen)

For a while now I have been using the set-egpu script to quickly tick the "Prefer eGPU" option for all applications, but that was all laptop-only. I recently got an external monitor and am finally enjoying the insane acceleration actually offered by a Vega 64, but I noticed something odd. If I run set-egpu and set all applications to prefer eGPU, upon restarting the computer - at least twice so far - those boxes all get unchecked.

Does it make any difference? If I am running an application on an external monitor through the eGPU, with that monitor as my primary screen, does ticking that box make any difference?

Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @limozeen

If I am running an application on an external monitor through the eGPU, with that monitor as my primary screen, does ticking that box make any difference?

Depends on the app.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
PascalB
(@pascalb)

Posted by: @mac_editor
Posted by: @limozeen

If I am running an application on an external monitor through the eGPU, with that monitor as my primary screen, does ticking that box make any difference?

Depends on the app.

Hi @mac_editor, I've read this was not advised to activate this option for Adobe Premiere or DaVinci Resolve because they directly manage the GPU options. So does Adobe Lightroom, however if you don't tick the box, Lightroom even doesn't see the eGPU. Can set-eGPU handle both cases (I mean, not ticking the box for some "special" apps) ?

iMac 27" i7 - mid 2013 (dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go) with 2 TB1 ports - TB1 Port #2 : eGPU : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650 OC + Gibabyte Radeon VII - TB1 Port #1 : Akitio Thunder3 RAID Station + Akitio Thunder D3 with SSD inside - External display (NEC Spectraview 27" PW272W connected to Atikio Thunder3 RAID Station Display port (direct connection to eGPU Display port is not supported : black screen)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@pascalb

Apps that manage eGPUs directly can ignore the Prefer eGPU checkbox automatically. From Apple:

"You won't see this option if an eGPU isn't connected, if your Mac isn't running macOS Mojave, or if the app self-manages its GPU selection. Some apps directly choose which graphics processors are used and will ignore the Prefer External GPU checkbox."

This post was modified 1 month ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote