Catalina 10.15.6 on 2018 Mac Mini and RX5700XT

Notifications
Clear all

Catalina 10.15.6 on 2018 Mac Mini and RX5700XT  

of  4
  RSS

chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@mini-i5, I actually have encountered my first bad experience yesterday. It went black screen while I was using it normally. And I had to unplug the egpu and connect the screen directly to mac in order to boot it. I am not sure how frequent it will occur, but it is a hidden bomb to me. Is there a way to locate the exact system log related to this? I can try to get the log and investigate it next time it happens.

This post was modified 9 months ago

Mac Mini (2018, i7, 32GB)
Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@chenyangh

I haven’t experienced anything similar. So, I don’t know.

The only very minor crash I’ve had was when something overheated the one time I played too many consecutive rounds of Agent Intercept(!) some months ago.

The game and the car slowed...way...down - as if out of gas - and then crawled to... a ...stop.

It was kinda comical seeing that play out onscreen in ...slooooow....mooootion....

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

One issue I recently encountered with the 2018 Mac mini during sleep mode. If the machine loses network connection it will crash and restart. I found this when I was making changes to the router. Every time the router power-cycles I would hear the boot chime from the Mac mini. It's possibly not eGPU-related but I have one connected to the Mac mini all the time.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

Fresh benchmarks!

Octane X is Otoy's long-awaited next-generation Mac OS GPU renderer developed in partnership with Apple.

Octane X is compatible with AMD Vega and Navi graphics cards running Apple's Metal API in Catalina 10.15.6 (and the upcoming OS11 Big Sur).   

A free (limited) demo version of Octane X Renderer for Mac OS Metal is available here:

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/#demo

For benchmarking on the demo version of Octane X, I downloaded Otoy's OctaneBench 4.00 scene files available here:

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/

Once up and running, Octane X automatically selected my 5700XT eGPU card for rendering (as displayed in Preferences).

Preferences

After a few minutes familiarizing myself with Octane X's layout, I did some minimal set-up prep.

I adjusted the Render Quality default setting to a reasonable number of Samples (512) - as more samples did not produce better images.

(Note - one of the limitations of the demo version is that image resolution is locked at 1000x600 pixels) 

At these settings, my 5700XT quickly rendered each of the (4) benchmark scenes. 

ATV Scene
Box Scene
Idea Scene
Interior Scene

ATV - 12 seconds

Box - 15 seconds

Idea - 10 seconds

Interior - 11 seconds

During these brief renders, Mac OS's Activity Monitor history graph showed near 100% GPU load for each scene.  

GPU load history

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

Is anyone getting frequent kernel panics like me in macOS 10.15.X? It's so freaking random...sometimes I'll go days without one and others I'll get one every couple of hours. I am a power user too so it's driving me nuts. It's making me regret selling my VII! This was never an issue.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@koncept_zero

Nope. None at all.

It is illuminating, though, that according to your posts - everything you touch soon stops working. 😏

ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@koncept_zero, Hi. I am seeing the same issues. Even with the new 10.15.6 update.

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @chenyangh

@koncept_zero, Hi. I am seeing the same issues. Even with the new 10.15.6 update.

Thanks for confirming. After doing more searching, it appears navi drivers still aren't optimized for Mac.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@chenyangh

The Red Devil card you selected is the issue. Some people want this card for some reason, despite its reported issues.

The Sapphire Nitro + card was recommended to you as a fast and stable card for use in Mac OS. 

But you chose the card that was not recommended. 

ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@mini-i5, Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider swapping the card. Too sad, the red devil looks very cool, although it is in the box and I barely see it.

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
 of  4