Catalina 10.15.6 on 2018 Mac Mini and RX5700XT

Notifications
Clear all

Catalina 10.15.6 on 2018 Mac Mini and RX5700XT  

of  4
  RSS

chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@mini-i5, The main reason I decided not to choose Sapphire Nitro + card was only that it has only two DPs. I found however Sapphire Nitro + has a BE version that has 3 DPs but I can't find where to buy it from Canada. Anyways, I guess I sometimes get obsessive about things that are not important, e.g., the triple DP thing. I just swap the TB port to the one closest to the internet cable as my last attempt. If it ever breaks again, I will proceed with returning. I really appreciate your suggestions and helps, thanks.

This post was modified 1 year ago

Mac Mini (2018, i7, 32GB)
Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Marius Fanu
(@marius_fanu)

Posted by: @chenyangh

And I had to unplug the egpu and connect the screen directly to mac in order to boot it.

I had the same issue, but after turning off FileVault, I can boot without having to connect the display directly to the Mac. But still getting crashes (green screen) with the Red Devil. Should be getting the Sapphire Nitro + tomorrow and hopefully my issues go away.

Mac mini - 2018
MacBook Pro 15" - 2017
Lenovo IdeaPad 720s - 2017
---
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@marius_fanu, Cool. Please let us know how it turns out. I have actually never seen the screen turning green. Instead, the system just freezes and reboots itself after a while with a kernel panic error reported. It is very likely to be a hardware issue for sure. BTW, how frequently are you experiencing the green screen issue? For me, it is totally random (it could crash while I was simply typing on a webpage, or playing video), and the expectation of the interval of crashes was about two days. E.g., It crashed this morning, and then I switched the TB port to the other end and reboot. After that, I was trying to make it crash by running lots of GPU benchmarks and playing starcraft, but it somehow holds up well. Therefore, I kind of have a feeling that the error could be caused by waking from sleep as I never turn the machine off unless it crashes. My guess is that some silent errors are accumulating while each time I put it into sleep and wake it up. 

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Marius Fanu
(@marius_fanu)

@chenyangh, will let you know how it goes.

The crashes are very random and very similar to yours, website browsing, playing video. Sometimes they happen immediately one after another. For example I got a crash, the Mac restarted and when it booted I tried to play a video and it crashed, less than 1 minute apart.

I was reading somewhere that the green screen happens only, if you use HDMI (that's what I use) will be getting a DP cable today so I can see if I can reproduce it.

Mac mini - 2018
MacBook Pro 15" - 2017
---
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@marius_fanu, I played starcraft campaign tonight (not because I am sick of working, trust me!) just to make it crash. I was able to make it crash twice under a similar scenario. Both when it was started switching scenes and playing cinematic videos of some stories. It is indeed like something is triggering it. Anyways, I have ordered a nitro+ card as there is evidence, according to @mini-i5, that they are better options. I am currently connecting the eGPU to three monitors using 3 DP ports.

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Marius Fanu
(@marius_fanu)

Yes, it's really odd, I tried to run some benchmarks like Geekbench and Web Basemark, to see if it fail under load, but it worked just fine, and then it crashed when I was browsing on amd.com when I clicked on one of those expandable sections in graphics card section.

I received my DisplayPort cable today and swapped the HDMI one, it still crashes but I don't get the green screen any more, it's black now.

I should also receive the Sapphire Nitro+ today, so hopefully the crashes go away 🤞 

Will let you know after I test it out. 

Mac mini - 2018
MacBook Pro 15" - 2017
---
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Marius Fanu
(@marius_fanu)

@chenyangh, my Sapphire Nitro+ has arrived, and I've been playing around with it for the last hour trying, benchmarking, playing videos etc. I think the issue is solved, as I didn't get any crashes and I had no screen flickers, as I used to have with the Red Devil. If I encounter any issues I'll report back, but so far so good! 🚀🤞

Mac mini - 2018
MacBook Pro 15" - 2017
---
Razer Core X

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@marius_fanu, that is really good news. Thanks for sharing. 

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Koncept_Zero
(@koncept_zero)
Trusted Member

@marius_fanu, woot woot!

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps -TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 11.6 + Win10 21H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
chenyangh
(@chenyangh)

@marius_fanu, my Sapphire Nitro+ also arrived today. And I have been playing SC2 (which triggers the black screen very often) for a while and it seems fine. 

Razer core x chroma
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4