Setup & Software Discussions
Catalina problem with my Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X enclosure + RX480 GPU

Catalina problem with my Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X enclosure + RX480 GPU  

RSS

(@ben_liu)

Hi, I'ver encountered the boot screen problem since updated to catalina 10.15 ,the monitor will glitch and black out with no signal after boot connect directly from the external graphic card. I could only use the egpu plug in after login to the system,I believe many people had the similar issue like this, but there are something more,

1\I've tried downgrade to Mojave ,thought things would back to normal, I've clean installed almost every version of Mojave from 10.14.1 to 10.14.6 , but the boot screen problem keeps happen in Mojave! 

2\The egpu fan keeps spinning when my mac turned into sleep mode, it just won't stop.

I wonder if you guys have any ideas about these? Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Catalina updated the firmware. The boot screen and boot problem are part of the firmware. You'll have to continue connecting the eGPU after boot, or use a card that is not a RX 480 or RX 580, or wait for a new firmware fix from Apple.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Yea I've been reading quite a few users having trouble in 10.15 with 4xx, 5xx cards. Vega 56/64 seems ok as do the 5700/XT.

2018 Mac Mini i7 / 256 / 16GB
2019 24" LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor
Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu

I have the exact same issue, any updates? I Updated to Catalina before I knew this and messed up my whole system

I called apple and worked on this issue for 3 days im just learning now about the firmware. Even a downgrade back to Mojave with a clean install hasn't fixed it

MAc Mini 2019 WIth EGFX Sonnet and RX 580.

Was working perfectly fine with Mojave. On a whim I decided to upgrade to Catalina. Wow what a mistake. I had been using the TB3 to Egpu then out to the monitor. Now when I start up I get the apple logo (2-3 times its normal size) then the empty progress bar. The screen flashes then "No signal"

Downgraded to Mojave via time machine: same issue

Fresh install of Mojave: Same issue

Fresh install of Catalina: same issue

It works if I use the internal HDMi and have the eGPU used over TB3 but this is not ideal as there is a reduced performance. 

I do get mirrored displays in some configs

Apple had me doing the SMC and PRAM dance for hours and Ive probably restored the system a dozen times, loosing my mind here.

Any fixes for this? I don't think its ok that I should have to settle for reduced performance just because of this bogus software.

Currently running on Mojave time machine backup but I am wondering if I should get back to catalina and use the same work around so I can at least get the updates when/if they fix it.

please help

@joevt

Im thinking of getting a Vega 56 to fix this issue it’s not that much more money. Are you certain it affects the 400 and 500 series but not the Vega architecture? 

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@ted_dawson I am not certain. Need to find someone with a Mac mini 2018 build and Catalina and different card.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@joevt

I just got an email back from Sonnet and they said that the v56 bypassed the firmware issue. I ordered one on eBay for myself 

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@ted_dawson

please keep update how the vega 56 works, but now I could only use the internal gpu and waiting if apple would fix it, I'm not quite rely on the egpu for my daily uses, but the problem is just frustrating!

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu

Heres the email I got from them

Hello Ted,

When you upgraded to Catalina, your Mac mini got a firmware update that cannot be reversed. You can wait for the Catalina 10.15.1 release that hopefully should fix the issue. If you need a GPU now, the Vega 56 worked in our tests.

Regards,

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@ted_dawson

Thanks Ted, How is your Vega56 works?

ReplyQuote
(@stefan_strangman)

@ted_dawson

I’m having issues with the Vega 56 since upgrading to the Catalina beta 15.1 but it worked alright with Catalina 

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu Yes been working fine - I get purple lines when it boots for like 1 second then it works fine. 

@stefan_strangman Mine is working fine for the most part. I get a big Apple symbol then some purple lines at boot but it quickly moves on from that. It doesn’t recognize my displays native resolution so i have to set that in preferences but besides that it’s working well for me 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

I have not updated my Mac mini i7 2018 + Razer Core X + RX580 to Catalina but following a recent Mojave update I am now experiencing the issues described in this thread, namely no screen on boot-up. Prior to this update my system worked flawlessly. 

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@michael_t

welcome to the club. I upgraded to Vega to get around this issue. I still have weird screen resolution issues and purple lines at boot. Also apps dont use the GOU properly even with Prefer EGPU checked and in-app preferences pointed to EGPU. 

imovie no EGPU usage, lightroom uses it in develop module but when "enchanced details" is used, It says will require a good GPU to work well, I saw it was using integrated graphics 100% and EGPU 0 %

I hope enough people complain to apple about this to get it fixed. Mine worked so well on Mojave

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

having taken the time and trouble to post above about my issue, I decided to fix it. Happy to report that I tested my eGPU{ Razer Core X + RX580 using Geekbench 5 "compute" , with the Mac mini GPU disconnected and it was successful. 

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@michael_t

How exactly did you fix it? 

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

@ted_dawson

I do not have FileVault turned on, but irrespective following Apple's advice works.  

1. If you have a Mac mini (2018) with FileVault turned on, make sure to connect your primary display directly to Mac mini during startup. After you log in and see the macOS Desktop, you can unplug the display from Mac mini and connect it to your eGPU

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@michael_t

Thanks Micheal 

But it's shame for apple to make this advice, maybe next time apple should release an expensive accessory to plug and unplug display automatically so people don't need to stand up from their seat to reach the cable far away at the back of the machine and do those stupid steps. 

Oh, and people encounter this with fileVault turned OFF.

sorry no offence, Just feel sorry for apple. 

ReplyQuote