Catalina problem with my Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X enclosure + RX480 GPU

Notifications
Clear all

Catalina problem with my Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X enclosure + RX480 GPU  

of  2
  RSS

(@ben_liu)

Hi, I'ver encountered the boot screen problem since updated to catalina 10.15 ,the monitor will glitch and black out with no signal after boot connect directly from the external graphic card. I could only use the egpu plug in after login to the system,I believe many people had the similar issue like this, but there are something more,

1\I've tried downgrade to Mojave ,thought things would back to normal, I've clean installed almost every version of Mojave from 10.14.1 to 10.14.6 , but the boot screen problem keeps happen in Mojave! 

2\The egpu fan keeps spinning when my mac turned into sleep mode, it just won't stop.

I wonder if you guys have any ideas about these? Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Catalina updated the firmware. The boot screen and boot problem are part of the firmware. You'll have to continue connecting the eGPU after boot, or use a card that is not a RX 480 or RX 580, or wait for a new firmware fix from Apple.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
LiE
 LiE
(@lie)
Eminent Member

Yea I've been reading quite a few users having trouble in 10.15 with 4xx, 5xx cards. Vega 56/64 seems ok as do the 5700/XT.

2018 Mac Mini i7 / 256 / 16GB
2019 24" LG Ultrafine 4k Monitor
Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu

I have the exact same issue, any updates? I Updated to Catalina before I knew this and messed up my whole system

I called apple and worked on this issue for 3 days im just learning now about the firmware. Even a downgrade back to Mojave with a clean install hasn't fixed it

MAc Mini 2019 WIth EGFX Sonnet and RX 580.

Was working perfectly fine with Mojave. On a whim I decided to upgrade to Catalina. Wow what a mistake. I had been using the TB3 to Egpu then out to the monitor. Now when I start up I get the apple logo (2-3 times its normal size) then the empty progress bar. The screen flashes then "No signal"

Downgraded to Mojave via time machine: same issue

Fresh install of Mojave: Same issue

Fresh install of Catalina: same issue

It works if I use the internal HDMi and have the eGPU used over TB3 but this is not ideal as there is a reduced performance. 

I do get mirrored displays in some configs

Apple had me doing the SMC and PRAM dance for hours and Ive probably restored the system a dozen times, loosing my mind here.

Any fixes for this? I don't think its ok that I should have to settle for reduced performance just because of this bogus software.

Currently running on Mojave time machine backup but I am wondering if I should get back to catalina and use the same work around so I can at least get the updates when/if they fix it.

please help

@joevt

Im thinking of getting a Vega 56 to fix this issue it’s not that much more money. Are you certain it affects the 400 and 500 series but not the Vega architecture? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ted_dawson I am not certain. Need to find someone with a Mac mini 2018 build and Catalina and different card.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@joevt

I just got an email back from Sonnet and they said that the v56 bypassed the firmware issue. I ordered one on eBay for myself 

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@ted_dawson

please keep update how the vega 56 works, but now I could only use the internal gpu and waiting if apple would fix it, I'm not quite rely on the egpu for my daily uses, but the problem is just frustrating!

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu

Heres the email I got from them

Hello Ted,

When you upgraded to Catalina, your Mac mini got a firmware update that cannot be reversed. You can wait for the Catalina 10.15.1 release that hopefully should fix the issue. If you need a GPU now, the Vega 56 worked in our tests.

Regards,

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@ted_dawson

Thanks Ted, How is your Vega56 works?

ReplyQuote
(@stefan_strangman)

@ted_dawson

I’m having issues with the Vega 56 since upgrading to the Catalina beta 15.1 but it worked alright with Catalina 

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu Yes been working fine - I get purple lines when it boots for like 1 second then it works fine. 

@stefan_strangman Mine is working fine for the most part. I get a big Apple symbol then some purple lines at boot but it quickly moves on from that. It doesn’t recognize my displays native resolution so i have to set that in preferences but besides that it’s working well for me 

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

I have not updated my Mac mini i7 2018 + Razer Core X + RX580 to Catalina but following a recent Mojave update I am now experiencing the issues described in this thread, namely no screen on boot-up. Prior to this update my system worked flawlessly. 

Mac mini 2018, 32gb Ram eGPU: Razer Core X + RX580 + Dell UltraSharp U2518D 25" QHD 2560x1440 2K. Used for photo editing.

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@michael_t

welcome to the club. I upgraded to Vega to get around this issue. I still have weird screen resolution issues and purple lines at boot. Also apps dont use the GOU properly even with Prefer EGPU checked and in-app preferences pointed to EGPU. 

imovie no EGPU usage, lightroom uses it in develop module but when "enchanced details" is used, It says will require a good GPU to work well, I saw it was using integrated graphics 100% and EGPU 0 %

I hope enough people complain to apple about this to get it fixed. Mine worked so well on Mojave

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

having taken the time and trouble to post above about my issue, I decided to fix it. Happy to report that I tested my eGPU{ Razer Core X + RX580 using Geekbench 5 "compute" , with the Mac mini GPU disconnected and it was successful. 

Mac mini 2018, 32gb Ram eGPU: Razer Core X + RX580 + Dell UltraSharp U2518D 25" QHD 2560x1440 2K. Used for photo editing.

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@michael_t

How exactly did you fix it? 

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

@ted_dawson

I do not have FileVault turned on, but irrespective following Apple's advice works.  

1. If you have a Mac mini (2018) with FileVault turned on, make sure to connect your primary display directly to Mac mini during startup. After you log in and see the macOS Desktop, you can unplug the display from Mac mini and connect it to your eGPU

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@michael_t

Thanks Micheal 

But it's shame for apple to make this advice, maybe next time apple should release an expensive accessory to plug and unplug display automatically so people don't need to stand up from their seat to reach the cable far away at the back of the machine and do those stupid steps. 

Oh, and people encounter this with fileVault turned OFF.

sorry no offence, Just feel sorry for apple. 

ReplyQuote
(@thomasmit)

Posted by: @michael_t

@ted_dawson

I do not have FileVault turned on, but irrespective following Apple's advice works.  

1. If you have a Mac mini (2018) with FileVault turned on, make sure to connect your primary display directly to Mac mini during startup. After you log in and see the macOS Desktop, you can unplug the display from Mac mini and connect it to your eGPU

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Unfortunately that's not a fix, it's a work around and the very first post outlined this.

The issue is why won't it load it at boot as it should and did with previous OS's. 

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
zhangd116
(@zhangd116)

I just updated mine to 10.15.2

Boot ROM Version: 1037.60.58.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.12551.0.0,0)

And the issue persists 🙁   While powering off the enclosure, waiting for a few seconds and powering it back on usually brings the display back, it would be great to see this bug fixed.

2018 Mac Mini i7 with AMD Radeon RX 5700 in Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

I have a vega 64 and have the same problem 

to boot I do the following

1. turn everything off

2. boot mac mini

3. wait a minute or so

4. turn on egpu

with this sequence it boots fine without plugging another screen or cable

Mac Mini 2018 3.2 Ghz 6 cores
Razer Core X enclosure with Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro
Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

I forgot to mention I tried connecting the vega with HDMI and it booted right away 

the issue seems to be with displayport in my set up

Mac Mini 2018 3.2 Ghz 6 cores
Razer Core X enclosure with Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro
Benq PD2720U

ReplyQuote
(@tariq_yahiaoui)

@ted_dawson

This ain't a Catalina update issue, I'm still on Mojave running a Macmini 2018 coupled to a Sonnet Radeon 7 eGpu and I think it is related to a buggy security update: I started experiencing the funny purple lines with the sep/oct security update and the black startup screen with the December security/safari update! I could get the system going for a while with a PRAM reset but the issue would soon show up again!

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

@tariq_yahiaoui

Indeed that is what I suggested in my first post here. As I posted, I am using Mojave and the problems arose since a recent update. I suspect it is related to the T2 chip.. 

ReplyQuote
(@sdedalus1)
Eminent Member

Ugh, as @michael_t says, Mojave Security Update 2019-002 must also contain the Catalina firmware that wrecks Bootcamp eGPU support with 480/580 and cannot be reverted. I vaguely had seen there were problems with Catalina and so was avoiding it, but just got screwed with the Mojave security update. Although there is a workaround for MacOS (plug in in after boot), how can I boot into Windows now? I normally plug egpu at startup manager when choosing Windows drive, but now only black screen results. If I wait until Windows desktop, egpu not detected.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 + Akitio Thunder2 + AMD RX580 8GB

ReplyQuote
semohe
(@semohe)

I don’t have a problem in mac os with catalina 10.15.2, i can just login with egpu on all the time. the problem is when i try to boot into windows 10 1903 it will stuck in a black screen. But i found a way to boot to windows for now. Hopefully apple fix this on the next update. 

2018 mac mini i5 + sonnet 550 + vega 56

ReplyQuote
(@sdedalus1)
Eminent Member

@semohe

Hmm, I guess I will have to buy a USB-C to HDMI converter to try.

I have tried the following and none of them work:

• normal, previously working procedure: boot to Startup Manager, plug egpu at same time as hitting return to boot into Windows (I usually do this blind, but you could also attach HDMI cable direct from mini to monitor, then unplug). The new firmware shows the Startup Manager when booting from EGPU, but black screen after booting; I preferred the other way, when boot chooser was black but you could see the desktop!
  • reset NVRAM
  • reinstall MacOS Mojave from Recovery partition
  • leaving monitor plugged into HDMI port on the Mac Mini, plugging egpu at Startup Manager, booting into Windows, and: a)  pulling HDMI plug at Windows flag (still black screen at egpu/displayport), or b) leaving HDMI plugged in (got a flickering Windows logo then black screen on HDMI and a black screen on egpu/ Displayport).
  • leaving monitor plugged into HDMI port on the Mac Mini, booting into Windows, plugging egpu at login screen: 580 appears in Device Manager with error 12
  • leaving monitor plugged into HDMI port on the Mac Mini, plugging egpu before boot, booting into MacOS: black screen on egpu/displayport, blank green screen on HDMI
This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
(@sdedalus1)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @sdedalus1

@semohe

Hmm, I guess I will have to buy a USB-C to HDMI converter to try.

I have tried the following and none of them work:

• normal, previously working procedure: boot to Startup Manager, plug egpu at same time as hitting return to boot into Windows (I usually do this blind, but you could also attach HDMI cable direct from mini to monitor, then unplug). The new firmware shows the Startup Manager when booting from EGPU, but black screen after booting; I preferred the other way, when boot chooser was black but you could see the desktop!
  • reset NVRAM
  • reinstall MacOS Mojave from Recovery partition
  • leaving monitor plugged into HDMI port on the Mac Mini, plugging egpu at Startup Manager, booting into Windows, and: a)  pulling HDMI plug at Windows flag (still black screen at egpu/displayport), or b) leaving HDMI plugged in (got a flickering Windows logo then black screen on HDMI and a black screen on egpu/ Displayport).
  • leaving monitor plugged into HDMI port on the Mac Mini, booting into Windows, plugging egpu at login screen: 580 appears in Device Manager with error 12
  • leaving monitor plugged into HDMI port on the Mac Mini, plugging egpu before boot, booting into MacOS: black screen on egpu/displayport, blank green screen on HDMI

I have solved this in Windows by booting via rEFInd and a modified version of apple_set_os.efi, and disabling resources in Device Manager. In MacOS, just hot-plug eGPU after booting to desktop. See my build here: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-mac-mini-rx-580-16gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-macos-10-14-6-win10-1903-external-ssd-sdedalus1/

ReplyQuote
Tjeu
 Tjeu
(@tjeu)

A lot of problems with this eGPU business for the Mac mini. It's absurd how many tricks we all have to perform to get things going. This should all be a lot easier to manage in macOS Catalina and I'm disappointed with Apples performance in this case. In the past (Mojave) I occasionally experienced a greenish tinted monitor on the BenQ BL2711U which is my primary display. See also the attached image. By disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable the display was ok again. I switched from HDMI to the DVI connection on the eGPU and the problem was gone. I also had a lot of other troubles with my mini such as black screens after disconnecting from the eGPU (the right way) and starting up again and bootmodes not reacting to shortcuts of the keyboard. But suddenly all these issues vanished? The last couple of weeks however after awaking from sleepmode the display was showing vertical coloured stripes which covered the whole screen and they do not disappear by disconnecting/reconnecting the DVI cable or the power cord. I have to switch to my second monitor, connected to a thunderbolt port at the internal Intel UHD Graphics 630, to reboot in order to get the monitor to back to normal. Until now I have  no screenshots of this stripes but doubtlessly the issue wil show its self again and then I'll get my screenshots of this issue. I'm hoping someone can help me with these display problems.

Thanks

IMG 1642
This post was modified 2 months ago

Six core 3,2 GHz Intel Core i7 Mac mini 2018 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD - SONNET eGFX Breakaway Box 550 with Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC 8GB - BenQ BL2711U 27" connected to Display port eGPU and Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" connected to Thunderbolt 3 Mac mini.

ReplyQuote
psm
 psm
(@psm)

My experience here is:

- Mac mini 2018 - macOS 10.15.3

- Venus Mantiz eGPU + Radeon Vega 64

- Dell U2718Q 4K

At first, I was connecting the display to the Mac mini, then changing the option for Apps to use the eGPU if it was connected.

I tried connecting the display to the eGPU directly (using DisplayPort cable). And it works fine.

I disabled FileVault (it's my home computer after all), and it boots fine with no major issues.

It does happen that at boot, the display will not turn on and the Mac will not boot either (no ping), but that's one out of 10 times.

Mac mini 2018 - 3,2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32 GB RAM running 10.15.3 (19D76) - Mantiz Venus eGPU with AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8Gb, Dell U2718Q (4K) connected to the eGPU via DP.

Tjeu liked
ReplyQuote
(@joas_souza)

@ben_liu, I'm also having this problem now. I have the Razer X Chroma. Now, every time I reboot my Mac mini, I need to connect my main monitor straight to my Mac, login and once everything is up and running, I disconnect my monitor from the Mac, get the USB cable back to the Razer and then the monitors start working, otherwise, if I reboot with the monitors connected to the eGPU, they will not come to life with the message "no video signal". Honestly, what a pain. Btw, I have a Radeon Pro WX 7100 8 GB graphics on my Razor X Chrome.

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@joas_souza

I've just got a perfect solution! it's so simple that I was wondering, why I didnt thought that before, 

all you need to do is just plug two cables from your display directly to your mac mini and egpu

like what I am doing is , one dp cable from display to the razer core, and one hdmi cable to the mac mini

so when the system booted up, the signal will come to the display from the hdmi cable, the apple logo, login screen all comes process perfectly, and the black screen issue wont happen,

and after login to the desktop ,you could just switch the signal source from the hdmi to the dp, by using the buttom on the display, so egpu could drive the display directly.

just that simple, and all the stupid plug and unplug things, wont bother you any more!

ReplyQuote
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @ben_liu

@joas_souza

I've just got a perfect solution! it's so simple that I was wondering, why I didnt thought that before, 

all you need to do is just plug two cables from your display directly to your mac mini and egpu

like what I am doing is , one dp cable from display to the razer core, and one hdmi cable to the mac mini

so when the system booted up, the signal will come to the display from the hdmi cable, the apple logo, login screen all comes process perfectly, and the black screen issue wont happen,

and after login to the desktop ,you could just switch the signal source from the hdmi to the dp, by using the buttom on the display, so egpu could drive the display directly.

just that simple, and all the stupid plug and unplug things, wont bother you any more!

I fear it is not that simple. In my case when doing this the Mac is feeding two displays and the performance of the graphic card is divided by two. I need to disconnect the unused input, at least in my case (HP Z31x). Check how it works for you.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
 Stix
(@stix)

I have a 2018 Mac mini (purchased this week) with a Razer Core X and Vega 56, and am also having issues in Catalina. Previously I had been pairing the Razer + Vega 56 to a 2016 MacBook Pro running Mojave and didn't have any issues.

My problem is:

1) I restart my Mac Mini with Razer Core X plugged in (HDMI running from Razer to monitor) and I get a black screen.

2) I swap the HDMI cable out from the Razer to the monitor (I figure the Mac mini might be defaulting to the built-in HDMI) and I still get a black screen.

3) I power off the Mac mini by holding the power button and disconnect the Razer.

4) I power up again and log in, EXCEPT now strangely my performance has tanked. The frame rate for opening basic files, the Mac OS animations and even the mouse moving around the screen looks noticeably more jagged. At this point if restart the computer, reconnect the Razer etc. it doesn't make a difference.

5) The ONLY way to get back to the smooth performance you would expect from the machine is to reinstall Catalina completely.

Any insight would of course be appreciated... What a mess...

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@jangoloti_1

Hi,Jangoloti, I've just ran some benchmarks, with the monitor connected and disconnected with the mac mini, and the dp cable connected to the razer core always, the sccores are very similar in Geekbench and Cinebench , but in Unigine heaven benchmark, with the monitor connected ,the frame rate is like 20-30% percent lower than the monitor disconnected with the mac mini,so to me, this is the situation I could accept , hope this test could help you.

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

@stix, Were you connected to your Core X whilst installing Catalina?

Louis Rossman very recently posted about Macbook T2 problems when installing Catalina.

See here from 5 minutes in.

See Apple's advise on fixing firmware issues on the Mac Mini.

. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdebea5be51/mac

This post was modified 1 month ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@michael_t, Thank you for sharing this Apple support article on reviving the firmware on Macs w/ Apple T2 Security chip. I wonder if Apple will eventually update the Apple Configurator 2 application to allow data recovery from the soldered SSD on these Macs.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
 of  2