Catalina problem with my Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X enclosure + RX480 GPU

Notifications
Clear all

Catalina problem with my Mac mini 2018 + Razer Core X enclosure + RX480 GPU  

of  4
  RSS

(@ted_dawson)

@ben_liu Yes been working fine - I get purple lines when it boots for like 1 second then it works fine. 

@stefan_strangman Mine is working fine for the most part. I get a big Apple symbol then some purple lines at boot but it quickly moves on from that. It doesn’t recognize my displays native resolution so i have to set that in preferences but besides that it’s working well for me 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

I have not updated my Mac mini i7 2018 + Razer Core X + RX580 to Catalina but following a recent Mojave update I am now experiencing the issues described in this thread, namely no screen on boot-up. Prior to this update my system worked flawlessly. 

Mac mini 2018, 32gb Ram eGPU: Razer Core X + RX580 + Dell UltraSharp U2518D 25" QHD 2560x1440 2K. Used for photo editing.

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@michael_t

welcome to the club. I upgraded to Vega to get around this issue. I still have weird screen resolution issues and purple lines at boot. Also apps dont use the GOU properly even with Prefer EGPU checked and in-app preferences pointed to EGPU. 

imovie no EGPU usage, lightroom uses it in develop module but when "enchanced details" is used, It says will require a good GPU to work well, I saw it was using integrated graphics 100% and EGPU 0 %

I hope enough people complain to apple about this to get it fixed. Mine worked so well on Mojave

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

having taken the time and trouble to post above about my issue, I decided to fix it. Happy to report that I tested my eGPU{ Razer Core X + RX580 using Geekbench 5 "compute" , with the Mac mini GPU disconnected and it was successful. 

Mac mini 2018, 32gb Ram eGPU: Razer Core X + RX580 + Dell UltraSharp U2518D 25" QHD 2560x1440 2K. Used for photo editing.

ReplyQuote
(@ted_dawson)

@michael_t

How exactly did you fix it? 

ReplyQuote
(@michael_t)

@ted_dawson

I do not have FileVault turned on, but irrespective following Apple's advice works.  

1. If you have a Mac mini (2018) with FileVault turned on, make sure to connect your primary display directly to Mac mini during startup. After you log in and see the macOS Desktop, you can unplug the display from Mac mini and connect it to your eGPU

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

ReplyQuote
(@ben_liu)

@michael_t

Thanks Micheal 

But it's shame for apple to make this advice, maybe next time apple should release an expensive accessory to plug and unplug display automatically so people don't need to stand up from their seat to reach the cable far away at the back of the machine and do those stupid steps. 

Oh, and people encounter this with fileVault turned OFF.

sorry no offence, Just feel sorry for apple. 

ReplyQuote
(@thomasmit)

Posted by: @michael_t

@ted_dawson

I do not have FileVault turned on, but irrespective following Apple's advice works.  

1. If you have a Mac mini (2018) with FileVault turned on, make sure to connect your primary display directly to Mac mini during startup. After you log in and see the macOS Desktop, you can unplug the display from Mac mini and connect it to your eGPU

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Unfortunately that's not a fix, it's a work around and the very first post outlined this.

The issue is why won't it load it at boot as it should and did with previous OS's. 

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
zhangd116
(@zhangd116)

I just updated mine to 10.15.2

Boot ROM Version: 1037.60.58.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.12551.0.0,0)

And the issue persists 🙁   While powering off the enclosure, waiting for a few seconds and powering it back on usually brings the display back, it would be great to see this bug fixed.

2018 Mac Mini i7 with AMD Radeon RX 5700 in Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@massimo_franzese)
Trusted Member

I have a vega 64 and have the same problem 

to boot I do the following

1. turn everything off

2. boot mac mini

3. wait a minute or so

4. turn on egpu

with this sequence it boots fine without plugging another screen or cable

Mac Mini 2018 3.2 Ghz 6 cores