Choosing the right PSU for MBP 2020 16"

Notifications
Clear all

Choosing the right PSU for MBP 2020 16"  

RSS

Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

I've purchased myself an Enermax Revolution 650W. My eGPU is a Mantiz Venus. I've swapped the PSU's and immediately on heavy load usage, the PSU short-circuited. This was used on my MBP 2016 version. I sent this PSU back to get a new one as I thought it was faulty. I received a new one, but never opened it because I didn't get around to do it.

After some years pass by, I now own a MBP 2020 16". This laptop uses a lot more power than the MBP 2016. The standard 550W charger doesn't suffice, so I need to get a better one. I remembered I still have my Enermax 650W, so I swapped it again and again at the first usage of heavier load, the PSU short-circuited. I've read around that this PSU is usable for the Mantiz Venus, but it seems to not work and short-circuit immediately. I don't know what causes this.

Are there any PSU's to recommend for the MBP 2020?

WhatsApp Image 2020 07 07 at 14.02.57
WhatsApp Image 2020 07 07 at 14.03.06

MacBook Pro 16" 2020 + Mantiz eGPU + RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wunair, It's likely the RX Vega 64 causing the power issue rather than other components. Which particular model of this GPU do you have? Is there a vBIOS switch for you to choose a different mode? The firmware of the Mantiz Venus dictates Power Delivery amount (87W) so the laptop can't change that.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

@itsage, I have the standard AMD RX Vega 64 version. No, I do not switch to a particular vBIOS mode. If I recall correctly, it was possible to adjust a couple of things for this card, but I've never adjusted it.

So even if I get a higher watt PSU, the max charging would stay the same? Would it be recommended to switch to a single monitor for less battery consumption?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wunair, The Power Delivery does not change regardless of the PSU you install. The only possibility is to flash a different firmware on the Mantiz Venus mainboard so that it can have a different PD such as 60W. That way the PSU has more power for the GPU. Take a look at TBTFlash and Sonnet Breakaway 60W firmware.

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

@itsage, But your theory is that my GPU is the one causing the issue for the short-circuit? Would this flashing a different firmware be recommendable? 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@wunair, The RX Vega 64 is notorious for high current peaks that cause power related issues in eGPU enclosures. I don't know for certain but you can try a firmware with lower Power Delivery so that the PSU has a better chance in sustaining the RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote