Connection problems: Mac Pro 2013 / AMD Radeon RX 580 & Sonnet TB3 / High Sierra

Notifications
Clear all

Connection problems: Mac Pro 2013 / AMD Radeon RX 580 & Sonnet TB3 / High Sierra  

of  3
  RSS

VJ Hellstone
(@vj-hellstone)

Got my DIY eGPU kit from Apple (Sonnet) few days ago.
Everything is installed and Mac Pro (Late 2013) recognizes eGPU.
BUT after logging out and logging in I am in troubles.

Everything is ok in SAFE MODE, but when log in normal mode I get OS to freeze and external display yellow screening.
Any idea what is wrong with my setup?
Haven´t got any help from Apple Bug Reporter or neither from Sonnet.
Response from Sonnet was that Mac Pro with eGPU is not supported by Apple.

Case 1. "HDMI cable is NOT connected into the Breakaway box"
Logging in after "log again" -notice.
Everything is ok and I can see Radeon RX 580 connected. 
When I connect display 2 with HDMI cable to Breakaway box, OS freezes.
I have to take off HDMI cable to get OS respond again.

Case 2. "HDMI cable IS connected into the Breakaway box"
Logging in after "log again" -notice.
There is grey layer over log in screen. Mouse or keyboard does not respond.
Display 2 connected via Breakaway box shows yellow screen.
I have to take off HDMI cable to get OS respond again.

Case 3, "Safe mode"
Starting in safe mode, display 1 and 2 are both ok (display 2 HDMI via Breakaway box).
I can also extend desktop to that display.

My setup is:
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
macOS High Sierra 10.13 (17A365)

Processor 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2 GB

eGPU (External Graphics Development Kit)

• Sonnet external GPU chassis with Thunderbolt 3 and 350W power supply
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics card
  • eGPU is connected with TB2>TB3 adapter. TB2 cable is connected to adapter and  into the lower left TB2 port.

Response from Sonnet:

"After looking through your configuration the issue is that the Mac Pro is not a supported Machine on the eGFX Breakaway Box. Apple only officially supports Thunderbolt 3 Macs with eGFX but Sonnet has also certified the following Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Macs but unfortunately the 2013 Mac Pro is not one of those machines. The only Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt Macs that are supported by Sonnet on the eGFX Breakaway Box are as follows:
MacBook Pro Early 2015 or newer (11,4-12,1)
MacBook Air Mid 2013 or newer (6,1-7,2)
Mac mini Late 2012 or newer - (6,1-7,1)"

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@VJ Hellstone, can you tell me what the back of your nMP looks like in terms of cable connections? Recognition and notification to log out is a good sign because hardware-wise it's compatible. The freezing issues are either a bug or software incompatibility.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VJ Hellstone
(@vj-hellstone)

@itsage yes, you can find pictures from this dropbox folder:
Hellstone Mac Pro eGPU pics

In the pic 01 there is cable from HDMI port to display 1.
I have tried also connecting display 1 to diffrenet thunderbolt ports, but that doesn´t solve the issue.

Haven´t got any response from Apple to my bug report...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Your connections look fine to me. This must be a bug. Can you run compute software such as Luxmark successfully? When I have time this week I will try to replicate the same connections as yours and see if I experience the same bug.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VJ Hellstone
(@vj-hellstone)

Great thank you @itsage !
I will run Luxmark later today and let you know how it goes.
I really appreciate your help!

ReplyQuote
tbl777
(@tbl777)
Trusted Member

I have the same problem, It can detect the eGPU, but with log out and log in, the external display froze.

my  kit:

MBPR15(2013late)

akitio tb2

SAPPHIRE RX580 OR ASUS RX580 both un-work

DEll DA-2

late-2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX580@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO thunder 2) + macOS 10.13

ReplyQuote
VJ Hellstone
(@vj-hellstone)

@itsage
Here is test with Luxmark.
Didn't know exactly what to test, but take a look if you can find something here.
I´ll run some other test if you need more info. Test was with eGPU connected, none other HDMI or other devices was connected into eGPU than Mac ProTest was Benchmark (Open CL GPUs) all GPUs selected. Scene LuxBall HDR.

Screenshot 01
Screenshot 02
Test data

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@VJ Hellstone, the results indicate Luxmark was able to make use of your eGPU. Therefore I think this issue is a bug in 10.13.

ReplyQuote
VJ Hellstone
(@vj-hellstone)

@itsage
Yes, eGPU seems to be ok as long as I don't connect devices such as displays to eGPU ports. OS is stable too.

Apple has not responded to my Bug Report, they did ask more info but after I've sent reports etc, nothing. Would be ok to hear that it is a bug that they are working on, so I don't need to worry if it is hardware issue with this eGPU, ports or something.

ReplyQuote
VJ Hellstone
(@vj-hellstone)

Update on this.

Almost working, but not yet!

Now I have updatetd OS to macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta 5.
Mac Pro recognizes eGPU fine, with no errors. OS is running ok.
When I connect external display into eGPU (with hdmi cable), display is extended to external display and everything is still fine.

BUT when I click anything (Finder etc) from main or external display, OS becomes then unresponsive and halts totally, until reboot.

I have reported this to Apple, hopefully will be resolved in next update! Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  3