Custom Passive Cooler for Gigabyte AORUS RX 470 Gaming Box

Notifications
Clear all

Custom Passive Cooler for Gigabyte AORUS RX 470 Gaming Box  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

A Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box media sample is en route. While waiting I could not help but looked for ways to get a High Sierra eGPU compatible graphics card inside this box. The GTX 1070 mini that comes with this enclosure is 169m so the AMD card has to be very close in length.

The only thing I found off-the-shelf that may work is the Sapphire RX 570 Pulse ITX (170mm). Of course, it's not priced reasonable at all. So I turned to using an RX 470 I have. It's a reference cooler card which is way longer than 169mm. The PCB only though is 178mm.

Cooling is then the next challenge. I dug around SFF forum and came upon the HDPLEX Passive GPU Heatsink system. Looks like a great kit and it's definitely worth a shot. These are some photos of the RX 470 PCB + HDPLEX heatsink test-fitting. The real fitting with Gigabyte AORUS Gaming Box will happen tomorrow night when I receive it.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Man this is so cool Smile

I suggest the following test:

- Open Radeon Settings -> Wattman and select GPU clocks

- now run Furmark and watch the GPU clocks. if your solution is capable of cooling it properly, you should not see any dramatic clock drops. 926-1206MHz range is OK, but if you see a sharp drop to like 300Mhz or lower, you are hitting thermal throttling. Then a fan is required.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thank you for the suggestion @Sky11. I will test to see how this cooler performs with the RX 470.

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The AORUS Gaming Box arrived tonight and it's smaller than I thought. Using goalque's automate-eGPU script in 10.12.6 it was almost too easy to get this box going in macOS Sierra. The entire process was less than 10 minutes for setting it up with a mid 2017 13" non-Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

Firmware version on this box is 25.25 as reported in macOS System Information. Power Delivery is 100W with the half meter Thunderbolt 3 cable and 60W with longer ones.

After that quick check, I took the GTX 1070 ITX out to make room for the RX 470. The AMD card fits with about 1-2mm to spare. Grin

The problem I'm having is to figure out what this capacitor does in the 24-pin power supply cable. As soon as I connect the 6-pin PCIe power cable to the RX 470, the Thunderbolt board does not seem to work. Everything works fine with the GTX 1070 which has an 8-pin connector.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

A 6+2P PCIe connector's 2P are GND wired, often just looping over from the 6P.  Do take note: ATX PSU_ON# is an active low (GND) signal.

So they might be expecting the 2P to be a GND signal then connected to PSU_ON? That would be a simple anti-tamper mechanism to ensure the user is utilising the contained video card with a somewhat rarer single 8P connector. If correct, GNDing the 2P connector would then switch on the PSU. If directly GNDing that pin to test, ensure you do it via a large FUSE-like resistor, just in case.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

This looks super impressive! Subbing to keep an eye on progress... couldn't even imagine doing this.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Unfortunately I was not able to get this going. The enclosure did not power up when I have this RX 470 in it.

So I turned my attention to finding an ITX AMD card with an 8-pin to test. My local Micro Center happened to have an open-box Sapphire R9 285 Compact. This GPU is built very well and similar to the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro that I have, except 1/3 the size. Best of all it fits this AORUS Gaming Box like a glove. 😀

Check it out in action with a Dell XPS 12.

ReplyQuote