Setup & Software Discussions
Doesn't recognize eGPU (MacBook Pro 13inch 2018 + Razer Core V2 +...

Doesn't recognize eGPU (MacBook Pro 13inch 2018 + Razer Core V2 + XFX RX580)  

RSS

zolderick
(@zolderick)
Dec 15, 2018 3:39 pm  

Currently, my MacBook Pro can't detect the eGPU after plugging it in.

Mac: MacBook Pro 13 inch 2018
eGPU enclosure: Razer Core V2
GPU: XFX RX580
Output: 2 x 1440p monitors via DVI

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
zolderick
(@zolderick)
Dec 15, 2018 3:46 pm  

Yep, fans are spinning on the GPU, lights on the Razer Core V2 are on - I'm not too sure how to troubleshoot further...

It would be sad if I need to return this for a Sapphire...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 16, 2018 3:42 am  

What's the model number of the XFX card you have? Certain XFX cards have compatibility issues with macOS. I bought an XFX RX 590 Fatboy recently and it crashed the system when connected in macOS. It worked fine in Windows Boot Camp.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member
Dec 17, 2018 9:09 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

What's the model number of the XFX card you have? Certain XFX cards have compatibility issues with macOS. I bought an XFX RX 590 Fatboy recently and it crashed the system when connected in macOS. It worked fine in Windows Boot Camp.

You just gave me a headache, I bought a very very cheap XFX RX Vega 64 Limited Edition for $320 I'm waiting for my new Razer Core X to arrive, do you think that is gonna be ok or problematic?

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 17, 2018 9:25 pm  

@juan_c_yunis The Limited Edition is a reference design so the brand doesn't make a difference. They all have the same board and will work in macOS. The compatibility issues will be more of a concern when you go with non-reference design boards.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member
Dec 17, 2018 9:26 pm  

@itsage awesome! sorry for the off-topic.

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
(@epicblob)
Dec 18, 2018 12:40 am  

Same issue, got a XFX 7970 and lights/fan work but it isn't being detected. Tried hotplugging, plugging in before boot, post boot, nothing is detecting it 🙁
-Mac Mini 2012
-ViDock eGPU w/ sonnet echo TB/EC adapter
-XFX 7970 3gb
-Mojave 10.14.1

2012 Mac Mini i7 + ViDock 4 EGPU w/ TB-EC adapter + AMD 560 + 34" 1440p

ReplyQuote
zolderick
(@zolderick)
Dec 18, 2018 3:29 am  

The model I got was AMD Radeon™ RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8G (RX-580P8DFD6). So you weren't able to get it to work on macOS at all? Would you know if my card is suited?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 18, 2018 4:00 am  

@zolderick Your XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition looks very similar to the XFX RX 590 Fatboy I tried. Most likely they both don't work in macOS.

ReplyQuote
zolderick
(@zolderick)
Dec 18, 2018 7:22 pm  

@zolderick Your XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition looks very similar to the XFX RX 590 Fatboy I tried. Most likely they both don't work in macOS.

Damn, I guess I'll just return the card and get a Sapphire or stock version of the RX580. Appreciate the help.

ReplyQuote