Dota 2 macOS Catalina RX580 Razer Core X

Notifications

Dota 2 macOS Catalina RX580 Razer Core X  

RSS

andynguyen
(@andynguyen)

I can't get the game to 50++ fps on high or ultra. Anyone have experience with this? Help.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Estimable Member

@andynguyen

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-graphics-tasks-slow-down-your-mac-mchlp2492/mac

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Dota-2-Initial-Mac-Vulkan

This post was modified 1 week ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
andynguyen
(@andynguyen)

@mini-i5 thanks for your quick help. I read the articles and seems like its just telling me that under vulcan renderer i get an improvement but its still under 60fps. I hooked up the egpu hoping for a smooth 60 fps ++ under ultra. It seems like its not using my egpu. Anyone know how to solve this?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Estimable Member

@andynguyen

Use the Prefer External GPU option

Starting with macOS Mojave 10.14, you can turn on Prefer External GPU in a specific app's Get Info panel in the Finder. This option lets the eGPU accelerate apps on any display connected to the Mac—including displays built in to iMac, iMac ProMacBook Air, and MacBook Pro:

1. Quit the app if it's open.
  2. Select the app in the Finder. Most apps are in your Applications folder. If you open the app from an alias or launcher, Control-click the app's icon and choose Show Original from the pop-up menu. Then select the original app.
  3. Press Command-I to show the app's info window.
  4. Select the checkbox next to Prefer External GPU.
  5. Open the app to use it with the eGPU.

You won't see this option if an eGPU isn't connected, if your Mac isn't running macOS Mojave or later, or if the app self-manages its GPU selection. Some apps, such as Final Cut Pro, directly choose which graphics processors are used and will ignore the Prefer External GPU checkbox.

Or:

Set an external eGPU-connected display as the primary display

If you have an external display connected to your eGPU, you can choose it as the primary display for all apps. Since apps default to the GPU associated with the primary display, this option works with a variety of apps:

1. Quit any open apps that you want the eGPU to accelerate on the primary display.
  2. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Select Displays, then select the Arrangement tab.
  3. Drag the white menu bar to the box that represents the display that's attached to the eGPU. 
  4. Open the apps that you want to use with the eGPU.

If you disconnect the eGPU, your Mac defaults back to the internal graphics processors that drives the built-in display. When the eGPU is re-attached, it automatically sets the external display as the primary display.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
andynguyen
(@andynguyen)

Hi @mini-i5 I did select "prefer egpu" and it works on fortnite and seems like working on premiere pro but dota 2 is not using egpu at all. Even if the prefer egpu selected.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Estimable Member

@andynguyen

Strange - when I launch Dota 2 it uses my 5700XT eGPU 100% automatically. 

I would try deleting the game, and then re-downloading it.

This post was modified 6 days ago

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

When you set "Prefer External GPU" you have to set it on the original game app. Right-click on the game in your steam library, go to properties, go to tab Local Files, click Browse Local Files. Then go to folder game/bin/osx64 and set it on the dota2.app there.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
andynguyen
(@andynguyen)

@nu_ninja have you try this yourself and it works?

ReplyQuote
andynguyen
(@andynguyen)

Hello everyone id like to share some of my findings with Dota 2 and Core X. I set "prefer egpu" and installed vulcan through dlc, turned on vsync inside Dota2 video settings and i seem to have steady 50fps at highest settings. Thank you for replying this thread!

nu_ninja and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Estimable Member

@andynguyen

Cool 😎

Good times! 

ReplyQuote