Setup & Software Discussions
[Dual boot] Mac mini 2018 can't detect Thunderbolt GPU without HDMI direct conne...

[Dual boot] Mac mini 2018 can't detect Thunderbolt GPU without HDMI direct connect  

RSS

(@kubo_yashiharu)
Eminent Member

Setup:
mac mini <--Akitio 2M thunderbolt 3 cable--> Akitio Node [Rx580] <--miniDisplayPort cable--> Dell UP2716D

On Mac (latest MacOS)
When I turn the power on, nothing is displayed through the bootup.
I have to use an HDMI cable and connect it between monitor and MacMini,
then I can reach the login screen until I switch the monitor input to mDP (HDMI input shows a wallpaper without login interface)
After login, I have to unplug the HDMI cable and use normally.

Problem: I can't boot into the login interface without HDMI direct connect between monitor and mac.

On windows (10, latest updated)
No boot selection screen shows even with [OPTION] key down unless HDMI cable connects the monitor and mac.
Right after I select the boot to windows, I have to unplug the HDMI immediately, otherwise, the windows will be panic and can't reach the login screen.

Problem: HDMI cable has to unplug before loading windows

It's now so trouble everyday on plug and unplug them so many times ...

any advise please?

MacBook Pro mid-2014, MacOS 10.13.6, Akitio Node, Rx580
purge-wrangler, purge-nvda, SwitchResX, iStat

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

The new macOS (Catalina) will solve most those problems I believe as it has enabled boot screen with egpus (as I understand) so your woes may well fix themselves with a software update in the next week or so...
For windows I'd be tempted to set to auto login, not secure I know, but I don't keep anything sensitive on my windows side.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@kubo_yashiharu)
Eminent Member

@eightarmedpet

Thank you for your prompt reply

So everyone with a similar setup is suffering the same every day? 😮 

I thought it was the cable matters and switch to HDMI cable between monitor and eGPU ...

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Pretty much! 
Currently you won't get a boot screen or a boot selector so you have to blind boot as far as I know... @itsage can/will prob confirm as I know he has tested the mini a fair bit and I think he is the original source of the info.
To get round it for now turning off passwords is prob best way if you dont mind the lack of security until Catalina drops.

---

ReplyQuote
dmatrix7
(@dmatrix7)

I have exact same issues you describe. I do not dual boot and only use MacOS. It happened to me with MacOS 10.14 but still happens to me using MacOS 10.15 10.15 Beta (19A546d).

The other issue is that every time the Mac goes to sleep (just blank screen monitor not actual sleeping) I have to unplug and plug the HDMI cable back into the eGPU. This happens 99% of the time but the odd time it will wake up properly. I have disabled the Mac mini from sleeping as well as disabled all features on the monitor.

I have yet to try using another HDMI cable or display port cable.

My hardware is:

Mac mini 2018 -> Asus XG Station -> Radeon RX 590 8 GB -> HDMI cable -> LG HDR 4K Display 27"

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@dmatrix7 the boot screen was added in one of the latest betas, make sure you are on the latest... or wait for the final release.

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have been using the 2018 Mac mini extensively with eGPU in both macOS and Windows. The issues you observed are normal/expected behavior because of limitation in the Mac mini firmware. It provides Boot Screen support through the Intel iGPU only. The iGPU can produce monitor output either through the HDMI port, or any of the four USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Issues arise when you have an eGPU connected prior to boot. The firmware now detects there’s an eGPU besides the Intel iGPU. Booting into macOS is fine because the firmware allows iGPU to stay activated alongside eGPU/s. It’s a different scenario when booting into a non-macOS volume because the firmware would deactivate the iGPU when there’s an eGPU.

You can get around this through several options. Given your preference of direct eGPU to monitor, macOS Catalina is the best choice. The system update comes with a new firmware that enables Boot Screen support through the eGPU. This is what most Mac mini eGPU users expected/wanted. All AMD Radeon cards in the list of natively eGPU support should work. So far I’ve tested RX 480/580, RX Vega, WX 9100, and Radeon VII.

Last but not least is the monitor cable. I’ve found macOS to be very finicky with HDMI connection (strange resolution and refresh rates). If possible, always use DisplayPort cable to connect your eGPU to the monitor.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@kubo_yashiharu)
Eminent Member

thank you very much for all the information you guys provided! thumb UP!

ReplyQuote
dmatrix7
(@dmatrix7)

@itsage

Thanks for the suggestion about the DisplayPort cable. I hooked it up and replaced the HDMI cable I was using. All my issues went away. Waking from sleep works flawlessly and so does the egpu boot.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @dmatrix7

@itsage

Thanks for the suggestion about the DisplayPort cable. I hooked it up and replaced the HDMI cable I was using. All my issues went away. Waking from sleep works flawlessly and so does the egpu boot.

That’s amazing to hear! I know HDMI connection can be annoying in macOS but in your case it basically ruined the experience. Your feedback helps others when they encounter similar issues with the eGPU use. Enjoy your setup!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@kubo_yashiharu)
Eminent Member

After updated to Catalina, all the above problems still exist ...

can anyone get boot correctly with only egpu connected?

ReplyQuote