Setup & Software Discussions
Dual Egpu - RX480 - HELP PLEASE!!!

[Solved] Dual Egpu - RX480 - HELP PLEASE!!!  

RSS

exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

I need some guidance.  I successfully was able to get a single RX480 working with my macpro, but I am struggling trying to get a second one working together.

I would have thought with the drivers already in the Mac, booting us with a second egpu would be an easy task. NOPE.  When both eGPUs are plugged in, no chime and no boot.  Even when only the egpus are plugged in and this is with and without monitor connection with the second egpu.  

Power is not an issue for it is on a 1000w PSU

Im just lost.  Any guidance would be greatly appreicated.

Best,

Exam23

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@Exam23, can you share more information of your dual eGPU setup? Full list components would be best. Which Thunderbolt ports are you connecting the eGPU to on your nMP? I remember seeing @Imcalleddandy’s setup with dual GTX 980 Ti eGPU in which he mentioned the ports he connected the enclosures to.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

Equipment

*(2) Ultra Wide 34" Dell - 2k, (1) Dell 28" Wide (2k)

*nMP - Core 10 / 20 Threads

*GPUs in hand (2) Radeon RX480 8GB      (1) MSI RX480 8GB     (1) EVGA GTX980ti Hybrid

*Corsair 1000w PSU

*(2) Akitio Thunderbolt 2 enclosures

Thunderport being used - Currently Working (looking at the rear panel view):

When Single eGPU, Right (Middle) and/or any thunderbolt ports will work and the bottom two ports are occupied by the monitors

Combo of any one single rx480 & gtx980ti hybrid 

Thunderbolt port being used - NOT Working (looking at the rear panel view):

Anytime there is TWO rx480 plugged into any Thunderboltports

Thanks in advance!!!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Were all 3 displays connected when you tried the 2x RX 480 eGPUs? I would attempt with only one display connected to the HDMI port and one RX 480 eGPU in the Thunderbolt Bus 0 Port 5 (bottom left). If that’s a success, shut the computer down to add the second RX 480 eGPU. Connect the second RX 480 eGPU to Thunderbolt Bus 1 Port 1 (top left).

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

itsage, thanks for the guidance but no luck as far...  I can't seem to get the two RX480 to come on at the same time...  Any further guidance?

ReplyQuote
deplomb
(@deplomb)
Trusted Member

did you swap the TB cables and akitios when using only a single eGPU?
just to make sure its not a hardware problem?

also did you check the a single eGPU setup with both akitios and on all TB ports - just to see if any problem occures here?
I know this test hardly makes sense but hey - its a computer.

Just to see if both eGPUs are detected did you try to daisychain the two akitios?
Did you thy to detect both eGPUs by daisychaining - (no solution attempt just to see if they are detected that way).

could it possibly be some strange firmware issue in case different FW versions in the two akitios?

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

You said you managed to connect 2 eGPU, the GTX and the RX right? So the multiple eGPU recognition should not be a problem. Here maybe it is a driver/hardware issue or conflict, since you are trying to put 2 RX that could possibly work together under crossfire.

So either the system try to force the crossfire making an issue, either there is maybe a driver/hardware conflict between the two RX working in a single configuration mode.

Can you hotplug the second card after when the system loaded?

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

im sure now it is trying to go crossfire, but it has no clue what to do with the second one even at inital power on stage.  I think i am ready to give up and just run one rx480 and one gtx 980ti. Kinda best of both worlds.  The only downside is i can not use the newest FCPX with the GTX.

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

I want to take a moment a thank "itsage" for providing the detail instructions and diagram.  While it really took some time to experiment and work out the kinks.  The dual Radeon RX480 project is a success.  My 2013 Mac Pro finally see the two cards and it is working beautifully. However, with all success, there is one small drawback.  And this drawback is the bootup process.  It is not every time, but more sporadic.  There are instances where I would have to manually turn on the eGPU PSU to time it with the appearance of the APPLE LOGO to turn on the machine.  I'm not exactly sure what is causing this issue, but will continue to work out the kinks.   

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

That’s awesome to hear you finally got this dual RX 480 to work! Please share the exact details so that future members can replicate your success.

I’ve noticed that “perfect timing” behavior as well during boot. What I’ve found to work best (both macOS and Windows) is to wait for the Apple or Windows logo to appear then immediately plug the Thunderbolt cable in (or flip the power switch on PSU). With a dual eGPU setup, this may be more challenging to get the timing right. Might as well go for triple since you have one more Thunderbolt bus available! 😀

If you have time, please share your FCPX workflow using the eGPU. I’m not experienced with pro apps and this section of our forums need more experts’ input.

ReplyQuote
exam23
(@exam23)
Trusted Member

No doubts, Me and my son will work on the Vlog this weekend. I will have all of the details soon enough.

As for the triple setup, don't tempt me.  The Radeon RX480 were an open box, and I got a huge discount on them.  I literally paid $129 a piece.  If I were to go for a triple setup, I would say I want to go with the GTX980ti Hybrid as my third card.  There were a really decent amount of gain from that card, but the cons outweighed the benefits as of current. The other downside to using the GTX980ti is that it is not very compatible with the FCPX 10.3.2.  

As for FCPX, it is pretty easy ones you dive into it.  However, I will share my workflow in the near future also.

Best,

Exam23

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

We’re looking forward to seeing the vlog! Do post a new implementation topic and link the video in it.

ReplyQuote