Dual eGPUs (Razer Core X) running on 2013 Mac Pro (Sierra 10.12.6)

Notifications
Clear all

Dual eGPUs (Razer Core X) running on 2013 Mac Pro (Sierra 10.12.6)  

RSS

tr42
 tr42
(@tr42)

Hi All,

First off, thanks for all the great advice. I used the beginner's guide to get my first eGPU working, super easy. Until I tried to add another box:

I have a 2013 Mac Pro (Running on Sierra) and have had no problems using a Razer Core X with a 1080Ti running Octane in Cinema 4D. Figured why not get another eGPU and double my rendering power? As soon as I hooked up the second one, the Mac Pro won't boot up. Tried moving around connections for them on my TB ports, and my 2 monitor ports, etc. No combination seems to get it to boot up. Tried placing eGPUs on their own bus + the 2 monitors on same remaining bus together.

Removed the new eGPU TB cable and it works again. But would love to figure out how to get this to work w 2 eGPUs since I've already spent the money on a 2nd box. Any help would be much appreciated! 

Edit: see a similar post but not quite clear what OP did. Thanks again in advance for any help someone might be able to offer!

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@tr42, The Mac Pro 6,1 can only boot with eGPU connected to port 5 & 6 only (bottom two TB2 ports). They share the same Thunderbolt controller so it may not be ideal to connect both eGPUs to these two ports. You can try connecting the second eGPU during boot up and see if that would work.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tr42
 tr42
(@tr42)

@itsage, ah, thank you! That actually worked. Shoved the 2nd eGPU cable in the lower left port (first one was already in bottom right) during boot up (right after the chime/apple screen) and IT WORKED. Thanks so much!

Now wondering / worried what will happen when my machine goes to 'sleep' each night.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote