early 2011 17' Macbook Pro + V8.0 EXP GDC thru Expresscard  

RSS

ketchup
(@ketchup)
February 22, 2017 10:01 pm  

Hi, 

I'm searching information about eGPU setup like this. Maybe you can help me.

I know that have thunderbold port, but in Poland Akito or another expansions are not available or to expensive.

I can run this setup on Win81 or Macos. 

Do you know, what software (setup 1.35 or another) and what GTX should I buy, to run my first eGPU setup.

And BTW, Sorry for my english.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
February 22, 2017 10:07 pm  

Your English is quite fine 🙂

The 2011 17" MBP does seem to have an Expresscard slot (do all of them do? Just some? No idea), but I've never heard of anyone doing an eGPU in this fashion. In theory it should be capable of working (at least in Windows?), but unless you can find someone who did it before (and a quick search did not lead me to any hits), you're going to be the first pioneer here.

If you are willing to be the guinea pig for us all: I'd grab a GDC Beast eGPU adapter, a Dell DA-2 power adapter to power it and try to borrow/steal/beg a cheap video card to try it with. If that works, then you can get a better video card to actually use with this setup.

Guys, has anyone else tried this before that you know of?

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
ketchup
(@ketchup)
February 22, 2017 10:20 pm  

A have GDC eGPU adapter and DELL DA-2 ... I'm prepared so far. Before I bought expensive grafic card, I should to check posibilities.

I know about setup 1.35 program, but on this page   https://egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/ is written, that minimal requirement is Macbook Pro mid 2012... 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
February 22, 2017 10:22 pm  

Okay, can you borrow some video card to try with, from a friend maybe? That way you don't need to buy anything yet (Except maybe Setup 1.35).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
ketchup
(@ketchup)
March 14, 2017 2:18 pm  

I have bought:

- GTX 670

- Setup 1.35

and install everything on Win81. Works good, but I stays few problems:

1. Can't switch Expresscard Port to Gen2. I set in setup Gen 2, but nothing change.

2. Everythins works good only on external monitor. How to set to show picture on internal LCD.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 14, 2017 2:27 pm  
Posted by: ketchup

- GTX 670

- Setup 1.35

and install everything on Win81. Works good, but I stays few problems:

1. Can't switch Expresscard Port to Gen2. I set in setup Gen 2, but nothing change.

2. Everythins works good only on external monitor. How to set to show picture on internal LCD.

The EC port can be switched to Gen2. Check it using GPU-Z. The bus interface may show x1 1.1, but clicking the "?" next to it will run a render test putting the eGPU under load and taking it out of low power state. Then it switches to x1 2.0. If there are any problems there then pls email me for Setup 1.35 support.

As your system has no iGPU active within WIndows, you cannot use NVidia Optimus. Instead, you can use the fake LCD method to drag *windowed* apps started on the eGPU to the internal LCD. See:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ketchup
(@ketchup)
March 14, 2017 2:36 pm  
Posted by: nando4

The EC port can be switched to Gen2. Check it using GPU-Z. The bus interface may show x1 1.1, but clicking the "?" next to it will run a render test putting the eGPU under load and taking it out of low power state. Then it switches to x1 2.0. If there are any problems there then pls email me for Setup 1.35 support.

Not switching to 2.0... 

As your system has no iGPU active within WIndows, you cannot use NVidia Optimus. Instead, you can use the fake LCD method to drag *windowed* apps started on the eGPU to the internal LCD. See:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/

My laptop have Intel HD300 + ATI Radeon 6750M on board. Can I turn off Radeon and set to work Intel + external GTX with Optimus? How to do it?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 14, 2017 2:40 pm  

My laptop have Intel HD300 + ATI Radeon 6750M on board. Can I turn off Radeon and set to work Intel + external GTX with Optimus? How to do it?

AFAIK, nobody with a 2011 HD6750M equipped notebook has been able to get the iGPU activated and driving the internal LCD in any OS other than macOS. So the fallback is to use the fake LCD method linked earlier.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
ketchup
(@ketchup)
March 14, 2017 2:49 pm  
Posted by: nando4

AFAIK, nobody with a 2011 HD6750M equipped notebook has been able to get the iGPU activated and driving the internal LCD in any OS other than macOS. So the fallback is to use the fake LCD method linked earlier.

Ok. I will try fake LCD method in Windows.

How to do it in macOS. Can I force to use eGPU rather dGPU on internal LCD?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
March 14, 2017 2:49 pm  

Oh, so this works! Awesome!

Would you mind taking some pictures and posting an implementation guide in the Implementation Guides forum? It is a nice setup that people with the 2011 17" MBP would be interested in, as it is cheap to implement.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 14, 2017 2:51 pm  

How to do it in macOS. Can I force to use eGPU rather dGPU on internal LCD?   

The same fake LCD method is used under macOS to have an app run on the internal LCD but be accelerated by the eGPU. Details to do that are in the previously supplied link:

ReplyQuote
Dizharmony
(@dizharmony)
December 23, 2018 8:16 pm  

Hello @ketchup ! Sorry for offtopic, but i just found your topic and interested about perfomance. Have you launched your eGPU? Does it works with internal monitor? Have you tried a thunderbolt device?
Sorry for a lot of questions, i am going to upgrade from my 2009 mac for some more new and i am very interested in big 17 display, but the are pretty old and may be I should buy 15" version with a thunderbolt 2.

ReplyQuote