Notifications
Clear all

Early 2013 15" MBP for FCPX  

RSS

early2013mbp15
(@early2013mbp15)

Hi all,

I have an early 2013 15" MBP currently on OS High Sierra. I'm interested in getting an eGPU for 4K FCPX editing and OS Catalina use.

These are my build considerations:

I chose these two graphics cards because they're compatible with FCPX and Maya 2018*. The two enclosure brands were recommended by Apple along with the Razer Core X, which I see comes highly recommended here. However, the Razer Core X may be overkill for the two cards I'm looking at.

*These two gfx cards are not certified hardware for Maya for Mac, but AMD offers a plugin to make it work. Rendering and Simulating in Maya is only a passive consideration and I am aware Arnold-Maya-Mac has its shortcomings.

What're your thoughts?

Kathy

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Early 2013 MBP 15", eGPU considerations:
RX 580 AKiTio Node Titan OR RX Vega 56 w/Sonnet Breakaway 550

ReplyQuote
early2013mbp15
(@early2013mbp15)

Posted by: @early2013mbp15

RX Vega 56 - The options are all around $600. Does it matter which gfx card brand (Powercolor, Asus, Sapphire) I choose? What factors do I consider?

Sonnet Breakaway details which graphics card, manufacturer, and OS is compatible with their enclosures.*

Sonnet Breakaway 550 uses thunderbolt 3 while my MPB uses thunderbolt 2, so it looks like Apple's Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter is needed.

I'll follow up with RX Vega 56 manufacturers available on the market that's compatible with the Sonnet Breakaway 550 later today.

* I didn't notice such a list for Razer Core X, and I wonder if it's because it's compatible with all RX Vega 56s?

Early 2013 MBP 15", eGPU considerations:
RX 580 AKiTio Node Titan OR RX Vega 56 w/Sonnet Breakaway 550

ReplyQuote