Early 2015 13" MBP and USB bus / Ethernet on eGPU enclosure TB3->TB2

Notifications
Clear all

Early 2015 13" MBP and USB bus / Ethernet on eGPU enclosure TB3->TB2  

RSS

entropeon@gmail.com
(@entropeongmail-com)

At the risk of this topic being discussed elsewhere, I submit this discussion thread to the community! If it is in fact covered elsewhere, moderators please feel free to mark this thread as deprecated and close it.

I am hoping to run a purge-wrangler.sh (AMD) setup for my Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I am probably going to run a Vega 64 and buy a Razer Core X / Core X Chroma and the appropriate TB3-TB2 adapter. I am confused as to whether I can reliably use the USB ports on the eGPU enclosure using this type of setup. I was also curious about Ethernet capability over Thunderbolt 2 and this model MacBook Pro.

Any help would be really appreciated, and it can help me make the best decisions.

Thanks.

Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro
AMD Vega 64
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@entropeongmail-com, macOS has drivers for the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter. However, the Ethernet adapter in the Core X Chroma needs third party drivers to work in macOS. Most current drivers for the Ethernet doesn't work very well at 1Gbps. USB expansion ports should work without issues. Last but not least is that Windows does not have the appropriate drivers for Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt adapter in order to use expansion ports.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
entropeon@gmail.com
(@entropeongmail-com)

thanks very much for clarifying this!

Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro
AMD Vega 64
Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
JD Oh
(@jd_oh)

@itsage, Apologies to highjack the thread a bit, but this is super related ;p

I have an incredibly similar setup coming through the mail soon. My question:

With 1 laptop thunderbolt port being used for the eGPU, there shouldn't be any issues using the second thunderbolt with an ethernet adapter right? In Bootcamp that is

This post was modified 2 months ago

2014 15" Macbook Pro without discreet GPU
Razer Core X
Radeon Vega 64
Roughly a million adapters

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jd_oh, Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter should work in Windows just fine. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JD Oh
(@jd_oh)

@itsage, Awesome, thanks!

2014 15" Macbook Pro without discreet GPU
Razer Core X
Radeon Vega 64
Roughly a million adapters

ReplyQuote