eGPU detected but not used [Catalina, mbp 2015 13" , Sonnet 550, AMX 580 8gb]
Short time lurker, first-time poster. Recently I decided to get an egpu for MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) running on Catalina 10.15.1 with an internal graphic card Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.
I went with a built that has been proven to work:
- TB 3 to TB 2 Apple adapter and Apple TB2 cable.
I tried two methods:
- the purge-wrangler script
- the automate-egpu-efi (I made sure to choose Nvidia and add the Catalina workaround)
In both cases, the egpu is detected but no app uses it even though I used the set-egpu script. I tried with a video projector as an external display still no egpu activity.
For reference, the about this mac shows the integrated graphic card.
I went through the troubleshooting guides and couldn't find a solution that works.
My questions are:
- Am I missing a step? How to make it work on the video projector?
- Is it possible to use the egpu with the internal display only?
Thank you in advance for your precious help!
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts