Notifications
Clear all

eGPU for late 2012 27" iMac  

RSS

murphylight
(@murphylight)

Hello everyone,

I am trying to buy components to setup a new eGPU but I am kinda newbie in all this. I read a lot here and I am going to buy a gtx 1060 with an Akitio Thunder3.

Now my real questions are : 

- Will I need a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter? Because my iMac only has thunderbolt 1 ports

- Will I need to buy a power supply in addition?

- And are the Akitio Thunder, the graphic card, the thunderbolt adaptor and maybe the power supply the only things I will need?

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
JohnJack
(@johnjack)

Hi,

Will I need a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter? Because my iMac only has thunderbolt 1 ports

Yes, you will need TB3 to TB2 adapter, and it can be used on your iMac, probably.

I'm using Akitio Thunder 2 on my iMac(late 2012). So, it will work on your iMac too.

Will I need to buy a power supply in addition?

Yes, Akitio Thunder3 can't supply match power to GTX 1060, and you should do some DIY to add PSU to Akitio Thunder 3.

If you don't wanna do some DIY, I recommend you to buy Akitio Node.

It has much power to use GTX 1060.

And are the Akitio Thunder, the graphic card, the thunderbolt adaptor and maybe the power supply the only things I will need?

EGPU can't drive internal screen on your iMac, so you should buy external monitor to use GPU for the games, or some graphical Application(CUDA will be able to use without external monitor, maybe).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
murphylight
(@murphylight)

Thanks for the reply !

ReplyQuote