eGPU not recognized properly by macOS (MacBook Pro Late 2013 dGPU), Sonnet 550 w...

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU not recognized properly by macOS (MacBook Pro Late 2013 dGPU), Sonnet 550 w/R9 280  

RSS

Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)

Hi, I'm not very good when it comes to running all these scripts and stuff, but I think I did run the scripts and make the USB just fine, however, I can't get macOS to recognize the eGPU properly.

What I mean by "properly", when I plug in the eGPU, for a few seconds there's an icon in the Menu bar indicating the eGPU is connected, but when I click on it, it just says no eGPU connected or something like that. About this Mac just shows my NVID GT 750M, and nothing about my AMD R9. System Profiler shows a "Display" in the Graphics/displays panel that says it's an external GPU and it shows it's AMD, but not much else.

Have I done the patches incorrectly or is there something else wrong? I tried reading multiple articles and forum posts, but for someone who doesn't know much about these, I might have done something highly incorrectly.

Here are my MacBook's specs if needed:

macOS 11.0 Big Sur (20A5384c)

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013

Quad-Core i7 4960HQ

16 GB DDR3

Intel Iris Pro

NVIDIA GT 750M 2 GB

I know I'm using a beta version of macOS, but I don't think it should matter that much, in case it does I have a backup machine (MBP 13" 2012) on 10.15.7 that I can try.

It seems like I might be getting somewhere, as I now managed to get the eGPU to show up in the EFI menu (before it didn’t for some reason). But the Mac is now having a hard time booting so we’ll see

EDIT: yeah it’s.not working. when I confirm to load macOS, it either gets stuck on the Apple logo, or it restarts shortly after the Apple logo...

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550, AMD R9 280

ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)

Hi, I used Purge-Wrangler to somehow try and get my eGPU (Sonnet 550 w/R9 280) to work on my 2013 rMBP. The issue is now that when I connect to it, the GPU shows up in the System Profiler PCI section, but it says there are no drivers. And when I hook up my MacBook to the eGPU, I lose my Intel Iris (probably because it thinks I want to use the eGPU) but probably because I don't have the required drivers, it doesn't work. Also external screen hooked up to the GPU doesn't show any signal. Where can I get the drivers or should they just be included in macOS?

EDIT: I tried using purge-nvda and I messed with the settings, however I can't get it to work either...

Näyttökuva 2020 10 12 kello 15.26.54
Näyttökuva 2020 10 12 kello 15.36.17

(this is a continuation to the thread https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/egpu-not-recognized-properly-by-macos-macbook-pro-late-2013-dgpu-sonnet-550-w-r9-280/#post-87718)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@piipperi800, First uninstall both these scripts. Then try automate-eGPU EFI and if you get that working, connect the eGPU without a monitor attached to it. See if the eGPU works (should be in Graphics/Displays section). Then apply purge-nvda to enable external monitor support over eGPU. R9 series may or may not work. The EFI solution has a better patch for legacy GPUs.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)

@mac_editor, one issue is that I’m unable to get the  automated-eGPU EFI to boot macOS...

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@piipperi800, Read the post carefully and make sure to apply the fix for Catalina correctly. You can also debug issues by enabling debug mode.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)

@mac_editor, I did read the instructions and I got it working on my 2012 13” unibody, but the 2013 15” retina just hangs after hitting the enter on Load mac OS

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@piipperi800,

Posted by: @mac_editor

You can also debug issues by enabling debug mode.

You'll have to debug why using logs.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)

Are the logs saved somewhere automatically or do I need to use some debug mode? Also, whenever I try to ”Load mac OS” it corrupts something from my macOS partition so the Mac kernel panics when I try to enter there without the USB. The only way I’ve found a way to fix it is by resetting NVRAM and then disabling csrutil (and maybe disabling csrutil authenticated-root too)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@piipperi800, seems like automate-eGPU EFI won't work with Big Sur that easily. I have never tried it myself (on Big Sur), but logs are generated on the USB stick itself once you enable DebugFlags (or whatever the variable in the plist was). Big Sur boots off of a snapshot, which might be the root cause of the problem (complete guess). So maybe automate-eGPU EFI won't work without an update.

The easiest solution for you would be to get a Polaris GPU + PurgeWrangler + PurgeNVDA on macOS 11. If you downgrade to Catalina, automate-eGPU EFI should work, but I can't guarantee whether R9 280 would.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Piipperi800
(@piipperi800)

@mac_editor, I got the eGPU working on my unibody 13” 2012 with the automate-eGPU but yeah Big Sir could be a problem. Too bad I’ve been using it for so long and I don’t think I can downgrade to Catalina just like that. I guess I should just mess with Purge-Wrangler and see if I can get something to work.

EDIT: I also think Purge-Nvda might be broken on Big Sur, as Purge-Wrangler reports thst I need to enable AMD optimizations from Purge-Nvda, even though I have enabled them

ReplyQuote