eGPU Not turning on. 2013 Late 15 MBP with Nvidia GPU + Gigabyte gaming box.

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU Not turning on. 2013 Late 15 MBP with Nvidia GPU + Gigabyte gaming box.  

of  2
  RSS

(@neo302)

Hello, 
I have a late 2013  15" MPB (Nvidia dgpu) with Sierra, not High Sierra.  I'm using the Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter + TB2 cable to connect to a Gigabyte Gaming box, but the egpu won't turn on.  Are scripts required to even have the egpu power up?

The egpu does power up when connect to my newer MBP (2017) on high Sierra. 

Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
simplekitten
(@simplekitten)
Eminent Member

Hello, 
i have the same MBP 15" and i'm running on High Sierra. I tried hooking up with my Gigabyte Aorus 1080 gaming box with TB3 > TB2 adapter + TB2 cable too. It doesn't wake the egpu too.. Anyone can help us with this issue?

@Neo302 is you TB2 cable original from apple store?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@neo302)

@simplekitten I'm using a cable matters thunderbolt 2 cable.

ReplyQuote
(@neo302)

@simplekitten Did you try the purge-wrangler and purge nvda scripts?

ReplyQuote
simplekitten
(@simplekitten)
Eminent Member

@Neo302 did you get it working in the end? I thought purging of nvda script is if you’re using a AMD egpu with Nvidia dgpu? I’m using a Aorus 1080 gaming box.

ReplyQuote
(@neo302)

Posted by: simplekitten

@Neo302 did you get it working in the end? I thought purging of nvda script is if you’re using a AMD egpu with Nvidia dgpu? I’m using a Aorus 1080 gaming box.

@simplekitten  Not yet. Sorry, I missed where you said you have the 1080.  Have you tried running any of the scripts?  I hope to spend some more time on it tonight.  What cable are you using?

ReplyQuote
(@neo302)

@simplekitten  I got an OEM cable from apple and it didn't help.  I've tried 10.12.6 and 10.13.3.  
I also got a 550Watt Sonnet and it turned on and is being detected (shows in the system report) just not doing anything yet.  I have a Vega 56 in that.  I'll run some scripts later to see if I can get it fully working.

ReplyQuote
(@neo302)

@simplekitten  I got an OEM cable from apple and it didn't help.  I've tried 10.12.6 and 10.13.3.  
I also got a 550Watt Sonnet and it turned on and is being detected (shows in the system report) just not doing anything yet.  I have a Vega 56 in that.  I'll run some scripts later to see if I can get it fully working.

ReplyQuote
PsyPryss
(@psypryss)
Trusted Member

Where’s your external monitor connected to? The egpu or the mac?

Mid 2012 15" (Non-Retina) MPB GT650M + RX580 (AKiTio Node via TB3 -> TB2/TB1 Adaptor) macOS 10.13.4/Win10

ReplyQuote
simplekitten
(@simplekitten)
Eminent Member

@Neo302, I've got it working with 10.13.4. Steps I did:

1. use the one solution script by @fr34k and --uninstall
  2. reboot
  3. use the script again without any parameters for it to determin what to install
  4. follows the instruction on when to plug the egpu and when to unplug

sadly for our macbook model, open GL/CL doesn't work on OSX. and for now i couldn't get the egpu to work on boot camp windows 10. still trying to figure how. any help would be nice. thank you!!

ReplyQuote
 of  2