eGPU setup dependent activation 2020

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU setup dependent activation 2020  

RSS

flight505
(@flight505)

First of all I am having some small problems with my eGPU. It is a Razer Core x with RX 5700 XT the MacBook Pro is 2019 13 inch running Catalina. 

I am not sure the programs are using the eGPU with the external monitors, I have noticed that the onboard GPU runs more processes compared with the eGPU. I have tested that I can train ML models with the eGPU using PlaidML and that seems to work.

1) Is it necessary to install set-egpu to force regular application such vscode, safari etc into taking advantage of the eGPU? or how should I do that?

2) Secondly, I dock the MacBook Pro at home and I also take the MacBook with me to work and dock it both places I use two 4k monitors. But I don't take the eGPU with me can if I need set-egpu to take advantage of the eGPU can I then have a script that can differentiate between the two scenarios. So eGPU is only set to be utilised when I am at home, docked and using the dual 4k? 

I hope someone will take the time to answer both questions - Thanks 😊 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@flight505

You can configure your set-up to meet the needs of your work flow by following a few easy steps.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
flight505
(@flight505)

@mini-i5, Thanks for the link. So using the built in OSX as explained "Use the Prefer External GPU option" Lets say I have chosen this function for VScode and other applications and attach the eGPU after getting home from work, would I then have to restart the application? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@flight505

That I don't know, but it's likely one of our other members can advise.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote