eGPU Setup for 2015 15" MBP - MSI Radeon R9 390 (non-x)

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU Setup for 2015 15" MBP - MSI Radeon R9 390 (non-x)  

RSS

TimeTeller
(@timeteller)

Hello everyone,

I've been researching how to boost my MBP's graphical performance and stumbled onto this forum. After some extensive reading of the Beginners eGPU Setup Guide for Mac, some diving into the "Implementations" catalog, and browsing the post about the Sierra 10.13 update w/ official AMD support I can safely say I'm as confused as ever.

I have a couple of questions regarding the process before I take the plunge.

1. I haven't been able to find anyone who successfully created an eGPU box out of an R9 390 (non-x), so I was wondering if that was possible.

2. If so, is it possible to run on OSX rather than starting a bootcamp (which I could do, but would prefer to keep this as simple as possible).

3. If both of the above statements=True then my MBP was the last generation before the USB-C/TB3 update; would it be best if worked with TB2 Chassis or get a TB3 one and utilize an adaptor? And would I lose any quality due to the adaptor bridge?

4. Lastly, is it possible to do all this without using another monitor and running it all off the MacBook's screen itself? (Also trying to keep the cost to a minimum).

It's amazing that you can find an entire community dedicated to a little crazy idea you didn't think was possible.

Thank you!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

My first recommendation is to run 10.12.6 and don't upgrade to 10.13 until Apple supports more GPUs for external graphics use. Does your 2015 15" MBP have iGPU only? Internal display acceleration by the eGPU is bad for performance in macOS. It won't be fun with Thunderbolt 2 speed.

Due to power requirement of this GPU, it's best to get an enclosure with a built-in PSU. The Node is a good choice. All you'll need besides the eGPU enclosure is the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter.

As far as software installation, run goalque's automate-eGPU.sh script and see if that works. AMD8000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX4000.kext have drivers for Hawaii GPUs such as your R9 390. If you can confirm your GPU has PCI ID 67b0, it should work.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nuno
 nuno
(@nuno)

Same problem with me, can you fix it ?

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.
Rebuilding caches...
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f560fd60 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "AMD8000Controller.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.kext.AMD8000Controller" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f5652ce0 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "AMDRadeonX4000.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000" }
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/heimdall.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Kext with invalid signatured (-67030) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f55ae7a0 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "IONDRVSupport.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport" }
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/JMicronATA.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Kext with invalid signatured (-67061) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f8b4fd50 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "LeawoAudioDevice.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.Leawo.driver.AudioDevice" }
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f8bb5270 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "Soundflower.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-2147409652) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f8bc5ca0 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "Wacom%20Tablet.kext/ -- file:///System/Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.wacom.kext.wacomtablet" }
Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fb6f8bcf6f0 [0x7fff9f79e980]> { URL = "automate-eGPU.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "io.egpu.automate-eGPU" }
All ready. Please restart the Mac.

Please help

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote