Setup & Software Discussions
eGPU with iMac 27' 5K mid-2014

eGPU with iMac 27' 5K mid-2014  

RSS

Snowwind
(@snowwind)

Does anyone know if it is feasible to connect eGPU to iMac 5K with TB2 without an extra monitor?

All of the cases I saw are with Macbook Pro, or iMac with external monitor. I was told that an external monitor is a must, but I really like my lovely 5K monitor and unfortunately no space for another monitor on my desk.

Is there any successful case? If yes, could you please share with me some tips? Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Snowwind

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

On macOS, you can simply use a headless HDMI adapter connected to your eGPU to use the external GPU on the internal display.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote
Panoptical
(@panoptical)

I have it working on my imac late 2014 5k with TB3 to TB2 connector and working fine for rendering, however the imac screen is hung with an apple and half completed progress bar while the external monitor works fine. Its super annoying. 

I have tried to use the fit headless displayport emulator and it simply doesn't work. The imac screen stays frozen with the progress bar half complete. Mac_editor, if you have any ideas would appreciate it. 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Akitio Node Thunderbolt 3

macbook pro late 2016 w touch bar

iMac 5k late 2014 

2016 macbook pro touch bar & 2014 imac 5k | GTX1080Ti in AKiTiO Node | Dell P2415Q display

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

@Panoptical

You should try my implementation as I fixed the iMac 5k internal monitor issue with the latest version.

If you're currently using goalque's automated-eGPU.sh script, you would have to uninstall it first using Terminal. 

/[PATH]/[TO]/automated-eGPU.sh -uninstall

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
Panoptical
(@panoptical)

Hi Rastafabi

Thanks! Seems to be working. That was a bit rocky but managed to get it working. Had to restart a couple of times and re-install, and seems like i had to have the external monitor connected to get it going. I am curious how stable it will be. 

thx again 

pantoptical

2016 macbook pro touch bar & 2014 imac 5k | GTX1080Ti in AKiTiO Node | Dell P2415Q display

ReplyQuote
Snowwind
(@snowwind)

Hi Rastafabi,

Do you mean I don't need external monitor if I use my implementation instead of automated-eGPU.sh? Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

It's possible to use the gpu without an external monitor with the internal one working, but that requires some additional steps. Also this way only applications wich do support selecting a certain GPU  for OpenGL or CUDA tasks in their preferences will be able to use the eGPU. If this is what you want I can explain the procedure.

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote
Snowwind
(@snowwind)

"only applications which do support selecting a certain GPU  for OpenGL or CUDA tasks in their preferences will be able to use the eGPU" <- Does it include games? As my upgrade is mainly for gaming. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member

No, it doesn't include games, even though you can accelerate them on in internal monitor you'll still need an external one to launch them on. The dummy-display-adapter trick does not work on the iMac 5k.   

NVIDIA GTX 750Ti

ReplyQuote
Light
(@light)

Hi Ratasfabi,

What if I set my internal monitor on bootcamp, and accidentally set my resolution lower by connecting a second monitor? Should I still use a second monitor? Is there anyway for me to use this on bootcamp? If I do then, do I still set up the egpu normally?

ReplyQuote
(@aigars_cakans)

Looks like I'm in right place. I have iMac 5k 2014 with 295x 4gb gpu. I use it mainly for 4k editing in Final Cut. I got Sonnet egfx 350w breakaway box yesterday with original tb3 to tb2 adaptor and tb2 original 0.5m cable as I have old HD 7970 laying on table from Mac pro  5.1 times. It's my first egpu project and I felt lucky because I got my card recognized as hd 7xxx card after  launching  script found in this forum. Don't have external monitor to test the outputs but I can run Luxmark and it scored about 2500 while 295x scored only 1400. Everything is great except I don't feel any difference in Final Cut. Bruce X test stays at 26s with or without egpu connected. I'd like to hear some suggestions. (didn't get rx 580 because I'm waiting for "maybe Vega64" in near future)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: Aigars Čakāns

Looks like I’m in right place. I have iMac 5k 2014 with 295x 4gb gpu. I use it mainly for 4k editing in Final Cut. I got Sonnet egfx 350w breakaway box yesterday with original tb3 to tb2 adaptor and tb2 original 0.5m cable as I have old HD 7970 laying on table from Mac pro  5.1 times. It’s my first egpu project and I felt lucky because I got my card recognized as hd 7xxx card after  launching  script found in this forum. Don’t have external monitor to test the outputs but I can run Luxmark and it scored about 2500 while 295x scored only 1400. Everything is great except I don’t feel any difference in Final Cut. Bruce X test stays at 26s with or without egpu connected. I’d like to hear some suggestions. (didn’t get rx 580 because I’m waiting for “maybe Vega64” in near future) 

Bruce X may not show a difference due to another component in your iMac being the weakest link rather than the dGPU. What type of hard drive does it have?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@aigars_cakans)

I have 256gb pcie drive and just upgraded Seagate Barracuda pro 8tb (250mb/s both directions) Whole system is quite good - i7 4790k, 32gb ddr3 1600 MHz cl9. In my old Mac pro 5.1 I had three of HD 7970 and it performed good - 16 seconds in bruce x test (even with sata 2 speed)  It was a real heating machine in my studio. 

My iMac works well with this egpu setup - I don't feel any discomfort at all. Sadly I don't feel any performance boost too.. the way I need it. There was a huge performance boost in fcpx by adding more and more gpus in my Mac pro.

Like I said - I know, that gpu is working because I can benchmark it with Luxmark and Geekbench. Is there any way to make sure it's working in Final Cut and Motion? 

Thanks for your support.

Sorry for my English 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The rest of specs should not be a concern then. You may have to use an external monitor for FCPX to utilize eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote