External Display Flicker/Pixelation (Razer Core X + 5600XT)

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] External Display Flicker/Pixelation (Razer Core X + 5600XT)  

RSS

Rob Weddell
(@rob5underscores)

Hi,

Recently I have experienced flickering when on my external display (LG 34UC99). It happens every couple of minutes (varies from 1-10 mins) and occurs when doing normal tasks (web browsing, etc. - not intensive). I have tested the same USB-C port connected to the display using the same HDMI cable (via an adapter) and the flickering does not occur.

I have tried to reseat the GPU in the enclosure, reset my Mac's SMC and NVRAM/PRAM to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions of possible causes/fixes/similar situations?

I have attached a picture of the flicker.

Thanks

Macbook Pro 2018 (15,1) running 10.15.7

Screenshot 2020 10 20 at 13.07.19

Macbook Pro 15" 2018 (15,1) + Razer Core X + Sapphire RX 5600 XT
Running macOS (10.15.7) and Windows 10 (2004)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rob5underscores, Which cable and adapter are you using to connect the RX 5600 XT eGPU to the LG 34UC99?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rob Weddell
(@rob5underscores)

@itsage, Just a standard HDMI cable (actually the one that comes with the Nintendo switch) between the 5600XT and the monitor, I haven't had any problems with this up till now. Without the eGPU, I am using the same HDMI cable and a USB-C to HDMI adapter (random Amazon brand) between the laptop and monitor and this doesn't flicker.

Both the GPU and monitor have DisplayPort so I could try that, but I don't have a cable to hand.

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT:

I assume the problem could be with any of the eGPU components (enclosure or GPU), however I was also considering the Thunderbolt 3 cable as the culprit. I am still using the 0.5m one supplied with the Core X and it doesn't seem too sturdy. Is that likely?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rob5underscores, With macOS, always use DisplayPort connection when possible. Get a bi-directional DisplayPort to USB-C cable such as Moshi cable so that you can use DisplayPort to USB-C with the eGPU, and USB-C to DisplayPort without the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rob Weddell
(@rob5underscores)

@itsage, thanks for your reply.

Sorry if I have been unclear - using the HDMI adapter for the monitor was only a temporary solution to isolate the eGPU as the source of the flickering (and not the monitor itself).

I've done some more research and the flickering doesn't happen in Windows Bootcamp so the issue must be something software related to do with the eGPU? I installed macOS 10.15.7 last week and it could have been happening since then - the patch notes for that release do mention a fix for the 5700 XT on some devices.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Running the display at 30Hz on Mac also "fixes" the issue... (or maybe just too slow to see the flicker).

Thanks

ReplyQuote