State of External GPU in macOS - High Sierra 10.13.4 Update
 
Notifications
Clear all

State of External GPU in macOS - High Sierra 10.13.4 Update  

 of  31
  RSS

donalducky
(@donalducky)
New Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

is there any way to download the beta 1? I have a TB2 eGPU that I'm trying to connect.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

.

ReplyQuote
Runólfur Geir Guðbjörnsson
(@runolfur_geir_gudbjornsson)
Active Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

I myself gave up on the betas and booted into recovery mode. Then I reinstalled my osx and that brought me back to 10.13.3. After booting I was offered to upgrade again to 10.13.4 beta 3 which i rejected. I am sticking with this version that for me is stable. So I don't think you can access the beta 1 anymore.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

.

sprober liked
ReplyQuote
Antoine
(@antoine)
Trusted Member
Joined: 3 years ago
 

in my case, as a owner of a FE LC, fan run a little bit less noisier in 10.13.4 beta3 than in 10.13.3 but not completely noiseless when on idle. On the contrary eject the card still cause a reboot on the 10.13.4 beta 3. Performance of the FE's driver seems about the same of the 10.13.3 in FCPX 10.3.4 and Engine Haven.

2017 15" MBP 3.1 MHz RP560 + AMD Vega FE [email protected] (Breakaway 350 + SF600) + macOS 10.14.6


ReplyQuote
Halbertus
(@halbertus)
Eminent Member
Joined: 3 years ago
 

This is really bad news.
Not going to buy any new Mac (with shabby GPU) just to be able to connect an external GPU via TB3.
Instead I would rather go for a Windows PC or a Hackintosh and have a modern GPU built in.
eGPU could have been sort of an alternative upgrade path for the gpu-wise limited hardware Apple used to sell.

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2015 w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X
Mac Pro 2013 D300 + ASUS XG Station Pro + ASUS ROG VEGA 56
[email protected] Dell UP2715K

 
2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.11 & Win10 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
Joined: 4 years ago
 

With hackintosh or PC you miss a lot of  good things both software and hardware. Stability is one of these.


MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

 
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  


ReplyQuote
sprober
(@sprober)
Eminent Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

@Runolfur, I'm with you. Sick of the crashes every night when I leave my MacBook in clamshell for any amount of time. With 10.13.3 I did'nt have the eject button but it was perfectly stable for me even with my Thuderbolt 2 audio interface and TB 3 storage, hot unplugged with ease, came out of sleep all night long. the only time I had a problem with 10.13.3 was when it did an auto upgrade that required a reboot while docked in clamshell mode. I'm going back too.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin
Joined: 4 years ago
 

For TB1 and TB2 Mac owners, I'd strongly suggest preserving an installer for 10.13.3. You can download the installer from the App Store right now and create a USB  installer.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

 
2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  


Username, QuietPower, mac_editor and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
nombrescreeno
(@nombrescreeno)
Trusted Member
Joined: 3 years ago
 

With all the changes going on, I'm convinced I should wait until 10.13.4 comes out officially and hold off on buying any eGPUs until Apple decides if it wants to come out with its own eGPU or how it wants to certify things

It seems clear that Apple has intent/the ability to lock down the ecosystem a bit

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

.

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member
Joined: 3 years ago
 

Not sure I follow your logic there.

Chances of Apple designing and selling its own eGPU are minimal. Too much competition in the space already. Only exception I could see: if the next Mac Pro (allegedly "modular") had a detachable eGPU module that could be used with other Macs. But we're not going to see that anytime soon. WWDC announcement with release late in 2018 is the best we can reasonably hope for. First half of 2019 more likely. Either way, for eGPUs, the choices you have now are the choices you'll have when 10.13.4 is released.

Certification: this is handled by Intel, not Apple. I believe that is the case for most Thunderbolt 3 products, even though Apple originally designed Thunderbolt in partnership with Intel, and is sometimes involved in certification for a new product.

To me, the reason to wait for 10.13.4 before jumping into eGPU is the features 10.13.4 adds (in the beta), making sure they're available before investing in hardware, because the features are pretty basic / required to have a smooth experience. For NVIDIA fans, waiting even longer probably makes sense unless you've already made the investment and have been using betas.

Thunderbolt 3 Macs, Sonnet and OWC eGPUs, 4K Displays, etc


itsage and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Jonas Hellesoe Nielsen
(@jonashn)
Active Member
Joined: 2 years ago
 

I like how I just spent 600 dollars on the Sonnet box with an RX580 for my 2015 MBP, and... now it seems Apple has disabled the functionality.

This is just hostile and weird beypnd comprehension :S

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

.

ReplyQuote
 of  31