Setup & Software Discussions
Fan Noise on 15" 2017 MBP Gaming with eGPU?

Fan Noise on 15" 2017 MBP Gaming with eGPU?  

RSS

Gorelander
(@gorelander)

Hey all, 

I'm thinking of getting a 2017 MBP w/ an eGPU gaming set up.  I can't stand the noise when my laptop fans are going full throttle.  For those of you who have this set up, does the eGPU keep the MBP cool enough to avoid full RPM fan noise?

What is your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Daelin
(@daelin)
Trusted Member

you still have the CPU load, so the fans go up. i'm very noise sensitive as well, but when gaming with a headset on, its fine.

MacBook Pro 15" 2017, AMD RP560
Devil Box + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Bricked thanks to rEFInd:
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013, GT 750M

ReplyQuote
Gorelander
(@gorelander)

True, but if you're talking over a microphone and people comment on how loud your fans are it's a problem.  Given this, I have come to the conclusion that avid gamers are better to stick with a desktop for gaming (more options for cooling/ relocation of the chassis) and use a laptop for work.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

eGPU's actually help laptops run cooler (and therefor less fan noise) due to taking the heat (and power) of a GPU and popping it in a different box. My 13inch MBP runs around 70 degrees under heavy gaming and the fans never get too loud for people to hear them when I am talking over a Mic.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Yes, the GPU generates a lot of heat that can be removed from the laptop by using an eGPU solution. Nevertheless, you will still have the CPU which is also an important but not removable source of heat. I have to say, I don't know if there is any difference in noise using an eGPU instead of using the dGPU. However, I can confirm that my keyboard gets a lot cooler by using an eGPU...

I sometimes have skype conferences while gaming too. I am using a headset with passive noise cancelling and my friends don't hear the fans of my laptop that much/at all. Moreover, I found a trick to reduce fan speed and with it, the noise. Disabling Turboboost will transform your MacBook Pro to a really, really quiet machine, also during gaming sessions. However, you might have some performance issues doing so. You can have a look to my thread about the Impact of Turboboost on performances:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/impact-of-turboboost-on-performance/

If you are a hardcore gamer (I am not, not really), the eGPU solution might not be the right one for you...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Gorelander
(@gorelander)

Interestingly I found a video of someone using a MacBook Pro with an eGPU (unfortunately a Bizon Box) while gaming and the video shows the MacBook staying silent while using the eGPU.   When he uses the internal graphics the Mac's fans spin up and run full speed:

A silent laptop solution would be awesome if this is in fact accurate.  I know some of you say the laptop fans spin up regardless, but I'm not sure if you're on a PC or Mac.  I know from owning both, the MacBook Pro benefits from the aluminum unibody acting as a heat sync and staying cooler.  The 2016/ 2017 might be less efficient in this regard due to the thinner body design compared to the 2015 model in the video.

ReplyQuote