Setup & Software Discussions
Freezes and reboots. Mac mini 2018, Razer Core X, MSI Armor RX580. 🙁

Freezes and reboots. Mac mini 2018, Razer Core X, MSI Armor RX580. 🙁  

RSS

(@nick_bierl)

This is my second attempt with an eGPU setup.

Last year I tried a Sonnet RX580 breakaway box with a 2016 13" MacBook Pro non Touch Bar. Every time I would plug in the TB3 cable, it freezes at the login screen or at the desktop. When I unplug the TB3 cable the computer crashed and rebooted. I tried many of the troubleshooting tips on eGPU.io, did clean installs  OS X and Windows 10, with no luck. I eventually gave up and returned the Breakaway Box. Later selling the MacBook too.

This year I have a Mac mini 2018 w/ TB3. I've had the mini since release in Oct. 2018, did NOT restore from Time Machine backup. I pretty much run everything stock. Purchased a Razer Core X, and MSI Armor RX580 4GB. Installed the RX580 in the Core X. Plug in the TB3 cable, I see the eGPU icon, Computer freezes and reboots, gets stuck and a reboot loop until I unplug the TB3 cable or flip the CoreX off. 

I am using a 27" LG 4k USB-C monitor. I do have questions on how the video cables should be setup with one monitor. I have a second monitor if needed.

I don't know what to do. Do I waste my time reinstalling OSX or Windows, waste time and money buying another GPU to test. I don't feel I should have to run scripts or terminal commands. Ready to give up on the idea of the eGPU.  

I can post the error log, I really appreciate any advice and help.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The 2018 Mac mini, Razer Core X, and RX 580 all have native eGPU support in High Sierra 13.4 and newer. Which particular version of macOS are you running? With a Mac with T2 chip, I’d recommend turning off Security Boot in Recovery mode.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@nick_bierl)

Posted by: itsage

The 2018 Mac mini, Razer Core X, and RX 580 all have native eGPU support in High Sierra 13.4 and newer. Which particular version of macOS are you running? With a Mac with T2 chip, I'd recommend turning off Security Boot in Recovery mode.

Thanks for the help. I'm running the latest macOS 10.14.5 (18F132). I've turned off Security Boot and System Integrity Protection.

I just tried turning off security boot as you suggested and the Mac still freezes and reboot loops the Mac mini until I unplug the eGPU or flip it's power off. I'm about to clean install macOS. I just don't understand why I'm having this issues with 2 separate machines and 2 different eGPU's.

Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@nick_bierl)

I did a clean install of MacOS and it's still crashing. I tried the Razer Core X without the GPU installed and the Mac doesn't freeze. Plug in the TB3 cable and the PSU and Fan powers on the Core X, that makes me thinks it's a Bad GPU.

I've purchased a Sapphire RX 580 8GB to test. I'll know by Friday 6/28, if it was a bad GPU. If it still crashes my Mac mini, I'm returning the Core X and both GPU's and I am done with eGPU's. 🙁

ReplyQuote
jawnkruk
(@jawnkruk)

Did you have any luck? I have the same setup with an RX590. It worked fine for months and now it freezes and crashes every time as of the last 1-2 months.

Mac Mini 2018 (i7-8700B, 16GB RAM), Razer Core X + AMD RX 590 8GB PowerColor RedDevil

ReplyQuote
(@nick_bierl)

I had to replace the GPU.

ReplyQuote