Frontier Edition|Razer Core X|MBP 15" 2018 2.9GHz i9| DisplayPort Issues  

RSS

justins
(@justins)
August 1, 2018 6:33 pm  

We have a Frontier Edition GPU in a Razer Core X Enclosure connected using TB3 to our 2018 15" Macbook Pro. It is connected to 3 displays. 1 HDMI and 2 DisplayPort all at 3840X2160. The HDMI is at 30Hz and the DisplayPorts are at 60Hz. We are mainly using this machine to edit with Final Cut X. Everything was working great until yesterday. Final Cut performs slowly and has weird issues specifically on the monitor plugged into any DisplayPort on the Frontier Edition. If I only plug a display into the HDMI, its fine. We also have a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD that has a DisplayPort on it and if I plug in a monitor into that, its totally fine. Any thoughts? Thanks

The Macbook Pro is on 10.13.6 and all software is up to date.

Some weird timeline scrubbing issues in FCPX.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 1, 2018 6:50 pm  

Download CL!ng and check the memory bandwidth of your current eGPU + monitor arrangement. Ideally, the eGPU should render only the primary display. The rest should be handled by a different graphics card.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
justins
(@justins)
August 2, 2018 2:54 pm  

Interesting. Why is that? It seems backwards that you would want an internal/lower end GPU to drive all the displays.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
August 2, 2018 5:33 pm  

If a GPU in a eGPU has multiple outputs, then shouldn't they work as well as they would in a desktop? I think I've read one or more posts here about a problem about that, but I couldn't understand it.

I guess the CL!ng benchmark will test to make sure the computer isn't doing something dumb like trying to copy graphics from one of those displays to another of those displays using the entire Thunderbolt 3 cable (from eGPU to CPU back to eGPU).

ReplyQuote
justins
(@justins)
August 3, 2018 5:04 pm  

Ok another update. I am now testing this on a 2013 Mac Pro (all updated). If I plug the eGPU box into the Mac Pro and only connect a single 4K display at 60Hz over DisplayPort, it performs very very slowly. The screen refresh rate seems like 15FPS or less. Forget opening and using FCPX. I installed the PurgeWrangler script in order to get the eGPU to work with the Mac Pro and that is it. Could I have a bad Frontier Edition? I downloaded CL!ng and the memory bandwidth with this setup is ~1246 MiB/s.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 3, 2018 5:09 pm  

How long have you had this Vega FE? Did you tried all three DP ports?

ReplyQuote
justins
(@justins)
August 3, 2018 5:19 pm  

About a week. Same problem on all three. Also, the memory bandwidth is the same if I have a monitor plugged in or a monitor plugged into the TB2 port on the Mac Pro.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 3, 2018 5:23 pm  

You may have to RMA this card. I've had my FE for 6 months and it's been working fine. Driving a 4K display should not be a big deal at all.

ReplyQuote
justins
(@justins)
August 4, 2018 2:02 am  

Its my lucky day. Im not the only one having these issues. This youtuber shows almost the exact issues I'm having, especially at about the 5 minute mark. Specifically the playhead problem. This is also with the official supported blackmagic egpu. So lets hope an update is being worked on.

ReplyQuote