Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box with GTX1070 Ordered!

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box with GTX1070 Ordered!  

of  4
  RSS

lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

I haven’t seen any implementations with the new Gigabyte eGPU with the 1070 inside. It costs $600 which is pretty good considering a node alone is $300 plus $400-$500 or so for a 1070.

Anyways, I just ordered one and will be trying it in boot camp on my 2017 MacBook Pro 13” touch bar. I will also attempt to get it working in macOS. But I thought I’d leave this post to see if anyone has any tips and has used this one on a Mac yet!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The Gigabyte Aorus 1070 Gaming Box should work in macOS 10.12.6. You can install it with either Goalque's automate-eGPU.sh script or Rastafabi's eGPU-enabler app. Don't upgrade your MacBook Pro to High Sierra yet.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

I thought that Goalque's script only worked up to 10.12.5 because of the nvidia web driver support only going to that OS?

Also, is the H2D issue fix coming or do you know anything about that?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

just kidding, I see that nvidia has updated the web driver to 10.12.6

I receive my egpu sunday and will let everyone know how it goes

ReplyQuote
benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member

Working like a charm in MacOS 10.12.5. The included GTX 1070 8GB is only 15% lower performance than the GTX 1080 8GB (tested in DaVinci Resolve and GPU rendering benchmarks).

Or to put it another way, 85% of a GTX 1080 in a single box you can actually travel with!

(Can't speak to gaming frame rates, sorry.)

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Do you see the H2D issues people are talking about as being a problem? 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@benr, would you like to be the first to submit an Aorus Gaming Box eGPU implementation guide?
https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/

@lungguy, half-H2D performance issues are discussed extensively in:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/alert-akitio-node-half-h2d-bandwidth-issue/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@nando4 thanks I'll keep an eye on that post. I'll leave an implementation as well assuming I don't run into too many problems tomorrow

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Lucas
(@lucas)

How is the Aorus Gaming Box? I actually was in the states a couple of weeks ago and they were supposed to release it while I was there but got delayed. Ended up going for an Akitio Node with an EVGA GTX 1070 ACX (love how cool it runs!). It is quiet bigger than the Aeros Gaming box but still love it. I am sure the ventilation this one has will help keep it cooler where I live (Beach town).

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 455 2 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB, AKiTiO Node with GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@Lucas I get it in the mail tomorrow, I'll update you as soon as I have it setup! I've heard it runs cool though, and quieter than the node, my node was pretty loud even without load. But that card has great cooling

ReplyQuote
 of  4