Setup & Software Discussions
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box with GTX1070 Ordered!

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box with GTX1070 Ordered!  

RSS

lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

I haven’t seen any implementations with the new Gigabyte eGPU with the 1070 inside. It costs $600 which is pretty good considering a node alone is $300 plus $400-$500 or so for a 1070.

Anyways, I just ordered one and will be trying it in boot camp on my 2017 MacBook Pro 13” touch bar. I will also attempt to get it working in macOS. But I thought I’d leave this post to see if anyone has any tips and has used this one on a Mac yet!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The Gigabyte Aorus 1070 Gaming Box should work in macOS 10.12.6. You can install it with either Goalque's automate-eGPU.sh script or Rastafabi's eGPU-enabler app. Don't upgrade your MacBook Pro to High Sierra yet.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

I thought that Goalque's script only worked up to 10.12.5 because of the nvidia web driver support only going to that OS?

Also, is the H2D issue fix coming or do you know anything about that?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

just kidding, I see that nvidia has updated the web driver to 10.12.6

I receive my egpu sunday and will let everyone know how it goes

ReplyQuote
benr
 benr
(@benr)
Eminent Member

Working like a charm in MacOS 10.12.5. The included GTX 1070 8GB is only 15% lower performance than the GTX 1080 8GB (tested in DaVinci Resolve and GPU rendering benchmarks).

Or to put it another way, 85% of a GTX 1080 in a single box you can actually travel with!

(Can't speak to gaming frame rates, sorry.)

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Do you see the H2D issues people are talking about as being a problem? 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@nando4 thanks I'll keep an eye on that post. I'll leave an implementation as well assuming I don't run into too many problems tomorrow

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Lucas
(@lucas)

How is the Aorus Gaming Box? I actually was in the states a couple of weeks ago and they were supposed to release it while I was there but got delayed. Ended up going for an Akitio Node with an EVGA GTX 1070 ACX (love how cool it runs!). It is quiet bigger than the Aeros Gaming box but still love it. I am sure the ventilation this one has will help keep it cooler where I live (Beach town).

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@Lucas I get it in the mail tomorrow, I'll update you as soon as I have it setup! I've heard it runs cool though, and quieter than the node, my node was pretty loud even without load. But that card has great cooling

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

Posted by: lungguy

@Lucas I get it in the mail tomorrow, I'll update you as soon as I have it setup! I've heard it runs cool though, and quieter than the node, my node was pretty loud even without load. But that card has great cooling

It's nice.  The lightweight construction means that it wears heat though.  The metal on the box has the gpu exhaust blowing right on it, so it gets hot.

Nice box though, I like mine.  I want the firmware fix though.

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Alright! I got it today and set it up! I started with a fresh boot camp install since I had a node and wanted to try it from scratch to make sure I know what I was doing. Everything is working in boot camp now. After a couple minor issues that I was able to iron out pretty quick, I am up and running. The Auros box at full load doesn't get too loud especially compared to the fans in the node, however the small form factor and metal frame gets fairly hot! Now that's good if you wanna cook where you game, but otherwise I don't think it's a worry. I will try and do a formal implementation guide and submit it ASAP. 

However if anyone is curious about anything, let me know!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@lungguy, would you mind plugging some devices in the Gaming Box's USB 3.0 ports and posting the hwinfo64 like shown here.  We've discovered the Mantiz Venus is hosting it's all its ports (4xUSB 3.0, SATA & LAN) off a single USB 3.1 Gen2 (USB 3.0) 5Gbps hub. I would like to see if the Gaming Box has avoided such bottlenecks with it's USB 3.0 ports.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@nando4 I will do that as soon as I fix whatever I messed up lol. For some reason I’m having trouble installing my nvidia drivers now. How I got to the point where I need to so is beyond me. But I’m super confused

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

I can see my thudnerbolt controller in device manager so it should be able to recognize the hardware...and I'm booting with the EFI USB stick that I have been using, however when I go to install the nvidia drivers it says I don't have the graphics hardware

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Try running  'automate-egpu.sh -a' in macOS to see if it gets the card detected under Windows.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Command not found. Also if I try to run the goalque script it tells me to hot plug the thunderbolt cable and try again even after I do so 

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Problem solved and I'm a little mad at Gigabyte. Believe it or not it came down to the box construction. The power pins that are plugged into the GPU are on top of the card and as you know this box is a tight fit. Turns out, the case was pressing hard enough on that 8pin connector to make it not power the GPU! I took the case off, wiggled the cable, and boom it turned on and I'm good to go. As for a fix, there's a small zip tie on those 8pin cable right next to the header, I think it's what makes contact on the case, if I get rid of it I might be fine to reinsert into the case. Long story short, hours of problems boiled down to wiggling a connector.

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@lungguy Thank you for the update and diligence on getting to the root of the issue. Build quality seems to be a concern on this Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming Box.

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@itsage Yeah, I'm actually second guessing. I think it was simply the power cord. I had to replug everytime I took the case off, so I thought maybe it's actually that. Turns out it gave me a fit when I put the case on and tried again. Well I took the power cord from my corsair RM650 PSU sitting around and plugged it in and so far no issues. So I think it was just the cable, however if the problem occurs anymore I'll contact gigabyte as it may be an internal psu issue. Which wouldn't surprise me as the psu is custom built into this case. But, nonetheless, everything is up and running in both macOS 10.12.6 and in Windows 10 1607.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Good work getting it sorted as symptoms did point to hardware error.

Would you like to submit a hwinfo64 screenshot with something plugged in on the USB 3.0 ports like shown here, also clicked on the root USB hub? We can see then how they have implemented those extra USB 3.0 ports.

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

yeah I will do that in a moment here

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

@nando4 Ok I'm not gonna lie I have no idea how to use this program, but I got where I need to go, however it doesn't show my USB devices plugged into the auros box as far as i can tell.

cap1

ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)

@lungguy I've just got my Gaming Box too, however, I'm struggling to get it working on bootcamp. Device manager gives a warning sign when ever I plug it in. I've tried so much apart from re-installing windows. Any pointers?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: Kim_KJD

@lungguy I've just got my Gaming Box too, however, I'm struggling to get it working on bootcamp. Device manager gives a warning sign when ever I plug it in. I've tried so much apart from re-installing windows. Any pointers?

What computer do you have? Is it showing error 12 when you right-click the GPU in Device Manager?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@lungguy, thank you for the post. The right side of the screen has been cutoff so I can't make out the specs of the USB hub they are using. Can you include the right hand side details in the screenshot like this?

ReplyQuote
Kim_KJD
(@kim_kjd)

@lungguy exactly, error code 12. 

edit: Solved, port 10 giving me issues... Now everything is working a treat.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: Kim_KJD

@lungguy exactly, error code 12. 

Work through this eGPU error 12 guide and see if it helps.

ReplyQuote
lungguy
(@lungguy)
Eminent Member

Posted by: nando4

@lungguy, thank you for the post. The right side of the screen has been cutoff so I can't make out the specs of the USB hub they are using. Can you include the right hand side details in the screenshot like this?

I tried to, but the right side wasn't showing information in any type of detail for some reason. I'll try again when I'm home tonight and plugged in.

ReplyQuote
Lucas
(@lucas)

Interesting comments. I have not found the Akitio Node to be loud at all. Maybe due to where I live, loving how cool it runs! After the comments here I feel like I made the right choice! Thanks for replying back.

ReplyQuote
jhujhux2
(@jhujhux2)

My Aorus arrived today and I have been tweaking it ever since. I got it working in MacOS with automate-eGPU.sh -a option.

However, I'm not finding any success in Boot Camp.

I have a late-2013 15'' GT750M Macbook Pro. I was running windows 10 and uninstalled for windows 8.1. Aorus did not appear on the device manager for either system. I plugged in the device after selecting startup disk, at the start up spinning wheel. Now I'm tweaking EFI trying to get it to work.

If anyone has any advice, please don't hesitate to contact me. If I found anything I will keep you guys posted, too.

ReplyQuote
(@inventortechie)

I've just received my Auros Gaming Box yesterday. Works just fine on a Latitude 5580 w i7-7820HQ. The TB3 port has x4 support. I get a "EGPU Not Supported on this Device" during the TB3 Software recognition during the setup, but I think it's more of a warning than anything. I was running 170FPS+ in Quake Champions. Waking up from sleep, even on 3 displays is no issue. I have some ideas on what else to do w/ this box and hardware. The reason I chose it, was because of the 100W PD, which allows me to just plug into the latitude w/ 1 Cable. seriously sweet setup. I'm selling my literally 4 week old Alienware 15 R3 w/ GTX 1070, to switch over to this setup. Nothing wrong w/ the Alienware, just prefer the business style look, and about 2.5 lbs carry less weight. I also carry around a 2nd laptop, so that's part of my motivation. 

Oh, and I bought mine from Amazon for 600.00.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Holy cow, thank for that link, Amazon will ship it to the UK! Only prob is it ends up 600 GBP...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@david_crawford)

UK retailers now have it instock, I got mine from scan.co.uk but I think Ebuyer is slightly cheaper. Annoyingly it's still the same price as if you import it from amazon.com 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@inventortechie)

@eightarmedpet - No problem! So far it's been working pretty good. There should be a new firmware update coming about soon to to help improve a few things 😉

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member

Ok - I'm a bit screwed as I updated to High Sierra (public beta)

Nvidia drivers won't install as only go up to 10.12.6 (even asked support).

Bootcamp won't partition the drive now - maybe because of the new file system.

Currently trying parallels 12 and see if that works!

Damn it!

ReplyQuote